Unpopular Wrestling Opinions

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I'm familiar with Funk's work and I don't buy that he was great in ring. He's great overall but his strengths were elsewhere. I don't really buy the NWA champions before Flair as great in ring either, at least by the standard that I'm looking for. They were generally at least believable as tough guys but even then there were some duds like Baba and Rich.
Um Baba was one of the biggest cultural icons (not just wrestling) in the history of Japan. The only people in wrestling history who would be at that level are Rikidozan, Santo or Inoki. No American wrestler is even close.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Um Baba was one of the biggest cultural icons (not just wrestling) in the history of Japan. The only people in wrestling history who would be at that level are Rikidozan, Santo or Inoki. No American wrestler is even close.

That's nice, though I think you're overselling the legend of Baba. He was still very poor in the ring despite his popularity and his token NWA title runs.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Guerrero and Benoit were both incredibly overrated.

After re-watching WM 30 last night on Sportsnet, so is Daniel Bryan.

His offense outside of his "yes kicks" to the chest when his opponent is on both knees, just looks terrible and not believable at all.

Reactions: iamjs

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
found the answer to my own question. Motley Crews took him off his game plan and pinned him right there in the middle of the ring.

I believe this is the payoff match complete with a Motley Cruz promo. Jeff wins. I think the promo you have was after the first match

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
- People give Cena so much flack for not putting people over when he was around but didn't give Austin the same flack.

- I respect the hell outta him but I never could get into Bret Hart
From the moment he became Stone Cold, he didn't really change his character. He stayed the same all the way through. Cena changing is what the fans didn't accept because he changed into the "Good" babyface instead of the "heel/in your face/ babyface.

As for the second part, Bret Hart wasn't for everyone. I feel the same way about Finn Balor. Can't stand him one bit.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
As for the second part, Bret Hart wasn't for everyone.

I never really gotten into Bret Hart until the whole Canada/USA thing. Looking back at some of his matches though it's amazing how solid his work is in terms of looking realistic. He might be one of the best in history in regards to that and that includes people like Flair or Steamboat. If I had to pick the biggest problem for Bret is I think his personality would have made him a much better merciless heel then babyface. If Bret Spent the bulk of the 90s as a heel I think he would be regarded much higher

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
- Matt Taven was the unfortunate scapegoat for ROH's problems.
- Baron Corbin is a great heel.
- Heath Slater should just be a jobber and stop trying to make everyone from 3MB a champ
- Omega is a product of Okada carrying him

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
- Matt Taven was the unfortunate scapegoat for ROH's problems.
- Baron Corbin is a great heel.
- Heath Slater should just be a jobber and stop trying to make everyone from 3MB a champ
- Omega is a product of Okada carrying him

I think Taven is good

After last dynamite I think omega stinks. It’s not Cornette influencing me either, I just don’t think he’s all that interesting

Reactions: Kaner9

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I like Taven, but Scurll should have won that ladder match. I've barely watched ROH since then.

Omega has been handled terribly in AEW. He should be the one to turn and be the cleaner again, especially since everyone expects it to be Page.

As much as I'm liking AEW I'm still pissed we never got to see that BC civil war angle play out.

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
Bray Wyatt is extremely overrated.

WWE's current in-ring product is my least favorite yet.

Owen Hart was kind of sloppy in the ring.

Reactions: iamjs

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I like Taven, but Scurll should have won that ladder match. I've barely watched ROH since then.

Omega has been handled terribly in AEW. He should be the one to turn and be the cleaner again, especially since everyone expects it to be Page.

As much as I'm liking AEW I'm still pissed we never got to see that BC civil war angle play out.
Just about everyone was of the belief he was headed straight to AEW, but then shortly thereafter IIRC they reached a short term deal and then the company made him an offer he couldn't refuse. If they knew he was staying no doubt he would've won that match.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Taker/Foley HIAC match is overrated.

I remember watching that match live on PPV, it was amazing because you never seen anything like that before and you felt like you were watching something special. Now that being said the law of diminishing returns says the more you see something the more likely it will desensitize you to seeing it and it will lose it's entertainment value(in that case soon after that HIAC match, stunt wrestling became the norm rather then a one off match)

Last edited:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Guerrero and Benoit were both incredibly overrated.

Of course it's all subjective, but I can't imagine how anyone would come to that conclusion. Both were incredibly underrated before they got to the WWE and I don't think they were overrated at all once they were there.

After re-watching WM 30 last night on Sportsnet, so is Daniel Bryan.

His offense outside of his "yes kicks" to the chest when his opponent is on both knees, just looks terrible and not believable at all.

His in-ring work aside, which I won't comment too much on as I haven't a ton of his matches, he can cut a great promo. Heel Bryan has cut some fantastic promos.

I never really gotten into Bret Hart until the whole Canada/USA thing. Looking back at some of his matches though it's amazing how solid his work is in terms of looking realistic. He might be one of the best in history in regards to that and that includes people like Flair or Steamboat. If I had to pick the biggest problem for Bret is I think his personality would have made him a much better merciless heel then babyface. If Bret Spent the bulk of the 90s as a heel I think he would be regarded much higher

I think he had a great career. Tagging with The Anvil they were a good heel team and he could cut a promo on top of the matches. As a face I liked him back in the day even if now I wouldn't care so much for him. Totally agree on the Canada/USA thing. I think the one time in Hart's career that I didn't like was his time in WCW. Granted the injury didn't help, but as with so many other guys putting him in the NWO was just a dumb move on top of just about everything else being pretty meh.

Bray Wyatt is extremely overrated.

I completely disagree, but then I've liked him for a while. I do think the whole Fiend gimmick is very overrated and doesn't work for me even though I do in part find it both creative and amusing. The whole Wyatt Family gimmick is fantastic. I also think you could give him a new gimmich, clean up his look and make him a southern preacher sort of guy, and he could carry that a long way.

Taker/Foley HIAC match is overrated.

I agree in the way the laid the match out, but apart from that I still find it an iconic match based on the two big spots. Foley getting tossed off the top of the cage, coming back from being on the stretcher, going through the cage... That's just crazy. I just would have saved that for the end.

Given that he has carte blanche on his booking he only has himself to blame

I don't know if does for every match, but pretty much, yeah. They need a booker. On top of that I don't think he's cut much of a promo on AEW and his commentary is woeful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad