Unpopular Video Game Opinions

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Oh boy, a thread for me! :laugh:

Resident Evil: Dead Aim is BY FAR the best Resident Evil game ever made.

Overwatch is terrible and only appeals to casual shooter fans.

Bethesda RPGs are boring.

Ranking/unlock systems in online PvP shooters is a terrible idea and is only a lazy way to keep players playing for a false sense of accomplishment because the developers aren't confident enough in their ability to keep players there because their game is fun.

The accuracy of analog sticks is so bad that nobody should find using them for a shooter acceptable. It amazes me that people actually like it.

Red Dead Redemption is the most overrated game of all time.

Halo is an overrated rip off of Half Life.

The original Deus Ex is bar none, the single greatest game ever made.

Reactions: SniperHF

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The accuracy of analog sticks is so bad that nobody should find using them for a shooter acceptable. It amazes me that people actually like it.
I actually tend to prefer some of the older console shooters that were designed for analog controls. Example, if you try and play combat evolved on pc its incredibly easy because the game was designed for analog controls. PC controls designed around mouse controls are these sprinting and jumping blurs that I do lose enjoyment from.

Speaking of fps, I absolutely hate how aim down sights is in every game now. If zero games had it I don't think I would complain. If its not a sniper rifle, it shouldn't have aim down sights.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Analog sticks end up being acceptable in FPSs now because the mechanics of the genre have been dumbed down so much over the last 16-17 years. The games are slower so you don't have to be able to twitch accurately. You only ever get to carry 2-3 guns, so you don't need a keyboard to juggle. The movement is generally less dynamic across the board.

Although you'll occasionally see things recently that extend beyond the capabilities of analog controls and end up wreaking havoc for a while, like blink+shotgun in early Destiny or turrets/Bastion in console Overwatch.

TedLundy

Dec 2, 2014
Spore is a good game

Earthbound is the best SNES game.

The COD World War II serie is better than the Modern Warfare and Black ops series.

Halo is overrated, yes the whole serie.

Overwatch is overrated.

Nintendo Switch looks awesome

Oblivion is better than Skyrim

GTA IV is better than GTA V

NHL 13 is the best NHL game in the 2010s

Pokémon Red is better than Pokémon Blue :O

Last edited:

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Bully>GTA
GTA Vice City...... boring
FO3&4 >> FO New Vegas
The Witcher 3 bored me greatly.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Star Fox Adventures is a good game.

Super Mario World isn't a top-5 Mario game.

The Wii U is the best console of this generation.

Leonardo-DiCaprio-Clap.gif

go hard or go home on those unpopular opinions!

(I agree)

Super Metroid's a great game, no doubt. But I think like Majora's Mask that I just said above, it's been put up on this pedestal that I don't think it belongs on. Metroid Prime, though? Groundbreaking.

Majora's Mask is the best Zelda game IMO. That game just has an atmosphere and unease that cannot be matched.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Civilization: Beyond Earth is not only the worst game of the series,

Alpha Centauri was miles better than any Civilization game

These aren't unpopular opinions lol. One of the reasons BE is so hated is because old timers remembered what a masterpiece SMAC was.

It boggles the mind that Firaxis managed to take a great game (Civ 5 complete) give it a space re-skin, and make it infinitely worse.

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
Metroid Prime is a top-10 game ever made.

Not a huge stretch. I am not a Nintendo guy by by any length of the imagination, but I went out of my way to get a console and a copy of Prime to play it on.

It is one of the few, possibly only examples, of taking a 2d game and making it better in 3d.

Mortal Kombat was oceans more fun than Street Fighter

While I disagree there are plenty of people who love MK. It is a much different game.

An E-sport maybe, but it's certainly not an athletic ability.

Agree completely. I know J.Wong. When I met him 8 years ago he was about 50 lbs. lighter than he is now, and it isn't muscle.

---
Unpopular opinion of the day -

Much like we try not to compare players across eras here, games should only be compared to games of the same genre when compiling best of lists.

You can argue which of the following games are better because they are similar. The idea of each game is the same - KO your opponent, but the way each game allows you to accomplish this will vary slightly and make each game play ever so differently from the others on the list:

Super Turbo
3rd Strike
Guilty Gear
Mortal Kombat XL
Last Blade 2

I find it near impossible to fairly rank the following games. They have little to nothing in common with one another other than being the absolute best in their respective genre -

Pretend I've listed the undisputed best of each genre below:D

Puzzle
Fighting game
RPG
Shmup
RTS
Sandbox
Platformer
Beat em' Up

Anyone else?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Halo is a terrible series. I enjoyed the first one and then it got extremely stale

COD single player is better than multiplayer

The only good console Nintendo has released since the N64 (which is dated but some games are still great) is the wii and even then, it's only good with 4+ people

Tomb Raider > Mario 64
Vice City > San Andreas

Red Dead Redemption sucks and is the epitome of an empty open world.

Ornstein and Smough is a garbage boss fight that relies on **** mechanics like Smough hitting you through Ornstein, semi-random hitboxes, and losing your lock-on.

VC over SA isn't that controversial imo. VC was a fantastic game, with a decent story, good twist, and lots of things to buy. It's top 3 for me.

Couldn't agree more on RDR. What a letdown.

Open world = Poop.

When done poorly, I agree. "Oh look how much you get to explore" doesn't work when there's no immersion

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Here's a controversial opinion. I'm not a fan of the metroid prime controls on gamecube and I actually can't play the game because of it. I can't even say if the game is good or bad because the controls are so bad I don't want to play it.

I've explain it in another thread (in fact I think it was the old controversial video game thread)

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Also, I think with that horrible cherry-picked crowbcat video it's actually popular to say gta 4 is better which is honestly laughable to me. Even at the time gta 4 had this horrible muddy color pallete that looked so ugly to me. The story was also so unnatural. Like he comes to America to get away from a life of crime and the first thing he does is start comitting crimes. It's not even well written he just starts committing one crime after another. Also your cousin really does call you every 5 seconds to go bowling. That's not some stupid meme that doesn't happen nearly as often as people say like "took an arrow to the knee" (which I heard like once in skyrim).

A few more things.

-bad driving
-bizarre physics (you'll fly through your windshield going 20)
-like 1 interesting character which is Brucie or Bruce

All in all the graphics, story, dialogue, voice acting, gameplay, physics and color pallete is just better and improved in 5 imo

Oh and don't tell me the color pallete was part of the game it looks like garbage. If they wanted the game to look like unappealing garbage I guess they did a good job. It's still a huge negative to me.

Last edited:

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Also, I think with that horrible cherry-picked crowbcat video it's actually popular to say gta 4 is better which is honestly laughable to me. Even at the time gta 4 had this horrible muddy color pallete that looked so ugly to me. The story was also so unnatural. Like he comes to America to get away from a life of crime and the first thing he does is start comitting crimes. It's not even well written he just starts committing one crime after another. Also your cousin really does call you every 5 seconds to go bowling. That's not some stupid meme that doesn't happen nearly as often as people say like "took an arrow to the knee" (which I heard like once in skyrim).

A few more things.

-bad driving
-bizarre physics (you'll fly through your windshield going 20)
-like 1 interesting character which is Brucie or Bruce

All in all the graphics, story, dialogue, voice acting, gameplay, physics and color pallete is just better and improved.

Oh and don't tell me the color pallete was part of the game it looks like garbage. If they wanted the game to look like unappealing garbage I guess they did a good job. It's still a huge negative to me.

I disagree on these parts, I found parts of the story of GTA 5 to be stupid. As for the dialogue and V.A. (which I am going to combine to be the characters themselves I found to be unrelatable, annoying and unappealing.

Franklin: was whiny, indecisive and kept stupid and annoying friends (seriously I wanted to leave Larmar to die than save him).

Trevor: Rockstar tried so hard to make him into a Deadpool, that it came off as a cheap rip off. He had a few one liners that were amusing but nothing else redeeming about the character.

Michael: Of the three he is the is probably the one that I feel the most for. Throughout the game he is trying to do right for his family, even though he fails at it he continues to try and help his family out. Unlike the other two he is motivated by something other then self interest.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
go hard or go home on those unpopular opinions!

(I agree)

Super Metroid's a great game, no doubt. But I think like Majora's Mask that I just said above, it's been put up on this pedestal that I don't think it belongs on. Metroid Prime, though? Groundbreaking.

Agreed as well with Metroid Prime. A few years ago when someone did a top 50 all-times game thing and you had to submit you're own top 10, I was the only only one to include both Super Metroid and Metroid Prime, but I had Prime higher.

Sometimes when games advance in tech certain things can be lost, but Prime is simply a perfect evolution on Super Metroid (and a perfect 10/10 game period as far as I'm concerned). All things being equal the only reason you'd go for the lower form is pure nostalgia.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Twisted Metal 3 is the greatest game of the series

Virtually every 2D Zelda game (Zelda, Link, LTTP, LBW, Oracles, etc) are better than the 3D ones (OOT, TP, SS)

Dragon Warrior > Final Fantasy

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
I thought oblivion and skyrim sucked.

GTA V is really overrated.

Bethesda sucks.

The last FPS I really enjoyed was rainbow six Vegas 2

RDR was an empty world and boring to travel. Good game though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad