Unpopular Video Game Opinions

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
As far as hybrids go, it seems to be as close to the RPG side as you can get without being completely reliant on RPG elements.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I've got a good one.

*ahem*

Majora's Mask was my least favorite Zelda game.

*flees*

It felt too confined to me by the very nature of the structure of the game, whereas I prefer Zelda games to be more wide open. Just a stylistic take, though I appreciate why others would love it.

*flees again*

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Nah. Too many of its elements are not at the level of depth required. It also tilts way too heavily toward player skill in combat. I could mostly go along with the idea of it meeting the "action RPG' standard but you have to take the moment to moment gameplay into account as well. You just don't do the same things in M&B most of your time that your'e doing in almost any other mainstream action RPG. And then you have to take into account the elements of the game that have almost nothing to do with RPGs like the economy and some of the itemization.

It's a hybrid.
The economy just means you get more role-playing options since your character doesn't even need to be combat-focused at all! Not sure what you mean by the itemization? Seems like a fairly standard RPG-fare to me.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
The economy just means you get more role-playing options since your character doesn't even need to be combat-focused at all! Not sure what you mean by the itemization? Seems like a fairly standard RPG-fare to me.

How the items tie into the economy and how there are commodities. Prices vary on region and other factors. Very heavily drawn from strategies or sims. Not traditionally thought of as a feature of RPGs. Though they are a few examples but most of those I'd call hybrids too.

As far as hybrids go, it seems to be as close to the RPG side as you can get without being completely reliant on RPG elements.

That's fair.

This is admittedly a somewhat silly conversation (that's been going on basically forever) since RPGs themselves are arguably hybrids. Some use shooting mechanics, some use dice rolls. But the hybrid of RPG and Sim/strategy elements has been around for a long time so I tend to think of it as something distinct.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The original is easy. Warband is not.

Yeah I think you played the wrong game bud.
Just checked steam, it was warband. And yeah i spent about an hour roaming the world, got into a few battles, went into a castle and talked to some people then finally tried out the colisseum/gladiator arena and just got bored with how easy it was and how awful the visuals were. Didn't spend more than a few bucks on it but Im just not a fan.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Just checked steam, it was warband. And yeah i spent about an hour roaming the world, got into a few battles, went into a castle and talked to some people then finally tried out the colisseum/gladiator arena and just got bored with how easy it was and how awful the visuals were. Didn't spend more than a few bucks on it but Im just not a fan.

I had the same experience. Got warband fairly cheap after hearing great things about it, fired it up, played for 1-2 hours and just thought "This is the game everyone is in love with?". Didn't grab me at all and I haven't been back since; was about a year ago.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I've got a good one.

*ahem*

Majora's Mask was my least favorite Zelda game.

*flees*

It felt too confined to me by the very nature of the structure of the game, whereas I prefer Zelda games to be more wide open. Just a stylistic take, though I appreciate why others would love it.

*flees again*

Eh, I don't feel alone then. I really like OOT though, the controls on the 3DS make it literally painful at times though, it's just so top heavy to hold.

I'll do one better: I don't like Mario 64. The camera always annoys me to no end. Maybe it would be better on an actual N64 with it's controller, but way back in 1996, I was already invested into my PS (well, my parents were, broke teenage me had no money).

SMO just wasn't that great IMO. BoTW blew it out of the water.

As far as the discussion regarding open world games, I don't like Skyrim (like Oblivion, I find it so boring), and Fallout 4 is a good example of the makings of a decent game, shit story. Shaun! Do I even care about Shaun? Oh, wait, let me go save that settlement for you...some of the mods are great though.

I am digging HZD so far, it's the first PS4 game that I'm believing the hype...TLOU, Nier Automata, Persona 5, Uncharted...no.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Last of Us is straight trash

Why do you think it was trash? Just curious.

I picked it up a few months ago and put about 2 hours into it, but I just couldn't motivate myself to keep playing. I didn't think it was bad, but I guess I wasn't feeling the story or gameplay. But then again I loved playing Uncharted 4, so I have no clue why I would like one but get bored with the other.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I agree only to the extent that it feels like MOST games do this now whereas it used to be a more unique thing.

A lot of these games are designed with a linear story mode that you can hop on and off of whenever you want and explore the little world they built for you in the meantime. It's nice having that freedom, as long as there's a quality story to be played.
I just tend to find smaller worlds more interesting. Developers used to squeeze out tons of hours of gameplay in smaller maps. You could spend hours in a smallish city and maybe its outskirts doing all sorts of quests and such. The maps were filled with so much detail considering everything you needed to do for that portion of the game had to be contained in such a small area. It made each section of the game much more memorable. Open world games instead cannot manage to do the same. Instead you have vast areas where you may arrive at a town and spend 30 minutes there or less and then never go back.

As much as I enjoyed The Witcher 3, it's an example where there were so many towns that you'd visit, but pretty much every single one was forgettable after you did whatever it was that you needed to do there. Sure, the world is beautiful and there's plenty to do when you take it all in aggregate, but it's so spread out that it's impossible to keep the player grounded in one area for all that long. The only places I really remember were the main hub towns and even those not to the extent that I do for other RPGs I've played.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
As much as I enjoyed The Witcher 3, it's an example where there were so many towns that you'd visit, but pretty much every single one was forgettable after you did whatever it was that you needed to do there. Sure, the world is beautiful and there's plenty to do when you take it all in aggregate, but it's so spread out that it's impossible to keep the player grounded in one area for all that long. The only places I really remember were the main hub towns and even those not to the extent that I do for other RPGs I've played.

That's kind of why I call it Witcher Simulator 2015 :laugh:. It oddly kind of works in an atmospheric way if you're embracing "the path" as it were. But I basically agree in general.

Density of content is dead and it's a damn shame. You can make quality open world games with dense content but it takes work and frankly the studios out there pumping out random open world game #834734 don't have the talent for it. They'll necessarily be smaller of course which upsets the "Go anywhere" crowd.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I had the same experience. Got warband fairly cheap after hearing great things about it, fired it up, played for 1-2 hours and just thought "This is the game everyone is in love with?". Didn't grab me at all and I haven't been back since; was about a year ago.
The beginning can be rough and a bit boring, but once you get going a bit the game really starts to shine (then gets worse again once you reach end-game)

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
The beginning can be rough and a bit boring, but once you get going a bit the game really starts to shine (then gets worse again once you reach end-game)

May give it another shot then. I got it after I re-joined PC gaming so I had so much I wanted to try, if I spent < 20 and the game didn't grab me, it went into the backlog instantly. I've beaten to death most of the games I game back to PC for though, so it's worth another shot.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I played through a bit of Last of Us and thought the gameplay was incredibly boring and repetitive. It's all about the story to the point where I feel it would have just been much better off as a Telltales style game. I ended up watching a Youtube movie on it and thought it was really good but eh, the gameplay was so bad I couldn't bother getting that far into it.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I played through a bit of Last of Us and thought the gameplay was incredibly boring and repetitive. It's all about the story to the point where I feel it would have just been much better off as a Telltales style game. I ended up watching a Youtube movie on it and thought it was really good but eh, the gameplay was so bad I couldn't bother getting that far into it.

I really, really liked fighting humans in that game. Sneaking around and getting as many of them until you are found and then you gt into a nice, short and tense firefight never got old for me.

I was not a fan of the infested in terms of gameplay but they worked ok.

That game has some phenomenal highs and not a lot lows. I resisted playing it for a long time and am glad I got with my PS4 or else I would have never played it.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
This is great to read after I bought it for $15 last week!
Eh, don't be discouraged. It's a very good game, it's one of the only games I've completed start to finish in the past 5 years. Some people just have different preferences.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
I agree that the gameplay in Last of Us is not terribly diverse but I thought that the atmosphere of the game sold it so well that I didn't care. I found myself being really sucked in to the game and felt the urgency to get to the next part of the map despite the fact that there's rarely any urgency to speak of and most parts of the map were more of the same.

I disagree that it would've been better as a Telltale game because I feel the hours spent sneaking about, planning fights, and exploring increased your emotional resonance with the characters. Ultimately TLOU is about its characters first, second, and third, and every other aspect of the game serves to support the struggles they face on their odyssey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->