Unpopular Video Game Opinions

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
The entire Fallout series is incredibly overrated.

Civilization: Beyond Earth is not only the worst game of the series, but one of the worst games of all time.

GTA 2 is a bad game.

Crash Bandicoot is a nostalgia lovefest covering up a mediocre game.

Mario Party 8 is one of the most underrated games of all time.

Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald were the best of the first few generations.

Lessavyfav

Aug 2, 2010
I've been playing a lot of FFXV lately so it may show in this post.

Balance has had a negative effect on single player. There should be a progression of upgrades rather than slight variations. End game weapons or weapons that you need to put time into obtaining should be overpowered.

FFXII's party combat system was the best in the FF series.

FFXV is one of the worst AAA games I've ever played, but it I somehow have fun (exception being chapter 13).

Dark Souls 2 is the best Dark Souls game.

Dark environments are overused and detract from a lot of games. There needs to be more color used in games.

Current gameplay has you scanning every inch of the game to find key items. I think games should do away with this mechanic unless it makes sense. Games would be so much better if they allowed you to actually focus on the game.

Stealth should not be in a game unless it makes sense to the genre.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Shovel Knight is alright. I've played it and its very good but its also insanely easy and theres no way to increase the difficulty other than to self impose a no checkpoint playthrough.

Also money quickly becomes useless.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Tomb Raider > Mario 64
Vice City > San Andreas

Red Dead Redemption sucks and is the epitome of an empty open world.

Ornstein and Smough is a garbage boss fight that relies on **** mechanics like Smough hitting you through Ornstein, semi-random hitboxes, and losing your lock-on.

I dont know why people hate Ornstein and Smough so much. I beat them my first or second try. Just summon solaire and use pyromancy.

Tomb raider>mario 64 is very controversial I'll give you that.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Wii-mote + nunchuk is the best designed console controller

Before it became the only player left standing there were better JRPG series than Final Fantasy

Blizzard has been a plague on the gaming industry

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Knights of the Old Republic II is legitimately one of the greatest games ever produced by man

The greatest game ever created but unfortunately not the greatest ever finished. Also the best Star Wars story of all time.

The Witcher games are overrated and don't do justice to the source material in the slightest.

Overwatch is an awful FPS, its mechanics might be the worst of all time. It only appeals to a casual crowd.

Mass Effect 3 is the best in the series, it has glaring flaws but they're not as big as the ones in 1 and 2

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Mobas are overrated. All of them.

Once you've seen and done most of the stuff there is to do in GTA 5, it becomes a pretty boring game. Just Cause 3 is more fun to screw around after the story is over. And before you say GTA online, that is the most cancerous multi-player experience in mainstream gaming. And playing pvp shootouts highlights how unsuited the GTA formula is to pvp FPS game play.

Ocarina of Time is massively overrated while Skyward Sword is underrated.

Halo stopped being good after number 2.

The Witcher 3 is better than Skyrim.

The Battlefield+SW Battlefront (EA) series is mediocre and clunkym

People who play esports and call themselves athletes or call playing video games an athletic activity, in my opinion makes gamers look like fools. I don't care that they make money for what they do. More power to them. But when they say what they do is athletics...i love video games. But I also played three different sports and would never dare call what I do a sport. An E-sport maybe, but it's certainly not an athletic ability.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Knights of the Old Republic II is legitimately one of the greatest games ever produced by man

Playing through right now for like the twentieth time, but first with the restored content mod.

It still amazes me that a game that is for all intents and purposes broken and unfinished manages to be a masterpiece.

Probably my most unpopular opinion on video games is that Mass Effect 3 is not only the best game in the series, but one of the best games ever made. I'm not blind to the criticisms, but even so.

HMs:

-Halo multiplayer sucks, but the campaigns were awesome.

-I miss Command and Conquer (C&C3 was great)

-Blastoise is way cooler than Charizard

-Alpha Protocol was really fun

Last edited:

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Also: Overwatch is such a clunky game and the fact that people enjoy watching it as an eSport makes my eyes hurt.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Metroid Prime 1/2 are better than Super Metroid.

Terranigma is the best game on SNES.

Twilight Princess > Ocarina of Time.

N64 is not a top-3 Nintendo console.

Sega Saturn was a massively underrated console that should have been great, but was ****ed over by awful marketing and Sega being stupid in general.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Wii-mote + nunchuk is the best designed console controller

Before it became the only player left standing there were better JRPG series than Final Fantasy

Blizzard has been a plague on the gaming industry

I actually agree with the wii mote just because of how comfortable it is to hold with moving you're hands around independently.

The joy cons could be cool too with no wire connecting them but I haven't held them.

And also the motion controls were legitimately good once they added the motion plus addons.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
T
Civilization: Beyond Earth is not only the worst game of the series, but one of the worst games of all time.

I downright hated it at first

I restarted it recently with the Rising Tide update. helps it alot. still not great but playable

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I ranted about this recently in the "Games you are currently playing" thread, but the Assassin's Creed series is really overrated, IMO. It's more like a series of interactive movies than games. So much focus is put on cinematics that the gameplay (what there is of it) is really shallow, basically just amounting to going where you're told and doing what you're told while the game helps you do it. They require very little brainpower, but, unlike a good popcorn movie (which each game in the series seems to try to be) that you can turn your brain off and enjoy, if you're not using your brain while playing, it's not much of a game, IMO.

"Aliens: Colonial Marines" is a criminally underrated game that I really enjoyed and still play on occasion.

I'm about to play it for the first time. I expect to find it not as bad as advertised, though that's mainly because I'll be playing the fully patched game. Also, I just fully played through Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000, which is a 17-year-old game, so even an Aliens game that had subpar graphics for 2013 is going to look amazing to me.

Do you play with the ACM Overhaul mod? I'll probably start the game without it, just so that I have an idea of the vanilla experience (especially the vanilla AI), and then add it and compare.

The best "Call Of Duty" game was the original for the PC.

I don't think that that's unpopular in the PC world. I think that most PC gamers would list the original as the best, with Call of Duty 2 next. They may not have technically been any better than the later entries, but that was when the series was fresh and before Activision flipped PC gamers the bird by making CoD3 console exclusive.

Last edited:

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
Ocarina of Time is massively overrated while Skyward Sword is underrated.

I don't think Ocarina is the overrated one, I think Majora's Mask is overrated. But yes, Skyward Sword is underrated. A lot of people railed on the (valid) negatives of the game so hard they forget the so much good.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
Metroid Prime 1/2 are better than Super Metroid..

Leonardo-DiCaprio-Clap.gif

go hard or go home on those unpopular opinions!

(I agree)

Super Metroid's a great game, no doubt. But I think like Majora's Mask that I just said above, it's been put up on this pedestal that I don't think it belongs on. Metroid Prime, though? Groundbreaking.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I'm about to play it for the first time. I expect to find it not as bad as advertised, though that's mainly because I'll be playing the fully patched game. Also, I just fully played through Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000, which is a 17-year-old game, so even an Aliens game that had subpar graphics for 2013 is going to look amazing to me.

Do you play with the ACM Overhaul mod? I'll probably start the game without it, just so that I have an idea of the vanilla experience (especially the vanilla AI), and then add it and compare.

first off, the 2000 AvP was GOAT, wasted soooooo many hours on multi player with that, and the campaign was solid also.

As far as Colonial Marines goes, I have no idea why people hate it, but it seems to be universally panned for some unknown reason.

if you are an Aliens fan, You will enjoy it no matter what version you play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad