Unpopular Video Game Opinions

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
Final Fantasy XIII is a great game. It's a pretty much a cut and paste of X, but with characters you actually give a **** about.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
Super Smash Bros. Melee. A bunch of highly technical stuff that only about 20 people in the world truly understand, and because of that, it's put up on a pedestal of "great". It's an okay game, just like the rest of the Smash series. Don't make it better than it really is.

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
Pretty every other board has one or more of these, thought this could be fun. I'll start.

"Aliens: Colonial Marines" is a criminally underrated game that I really enjoyed and still play on occasion.

You may win the thread:D, nothing wrong with enjoying it though.

I love shmups. For the last 4+ years they have constituted 95% of my play time.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The last great multiplayer FPS was released in 1999. Destiny's p good though.

Last edited:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Final Fantasy VII is overrated.

Naughty Dog hasn't made a good game since the original Jak & Daxter.

Guild Wars had the best gameplay of any MMO ever. The sequel was awful and a shameless uninspired cash-in.

Most of the N64 games were not that great, people are blinded by a lot of nostalgia. Obviously there were some gems but by and large it's an overrated console.

Halo 3 had the most fair and well-balanced multiplayer of any game ever.

Metroid Prime is a top-10 game ever made.

If someone says Diamond & Pearl were better than Black & White I know I can immediately dismiss their opinion forever.

Black Flag is the best Assassin's Creed by a pretty big margin.

The world needs more games like Monster Hunter.

Smash Bros 4 terribly under delivered, it was a lazy copy/paste of Brawl with extra charters that took 7 years to make.

Wii had a fantastic library of hidden gems, if you put the work in there's tons of unique games that are a lot of fun to play.

I'll buy anything Firaxis puts out at this point.

I appreciate their effort and creativity and want them to do well, but indy games are by and large are just not worth the time or money.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Most of the N64 games were not that great, people are blinded by a lot of nostalgia. Obviously there were some gems but by and large it's an overrated console.

Halo 3 had the most fair and well-balanced multiplayer of any game ever.

Black Flag is the best Assassin's Creed by a pretty big margin.

Smash Bros 4 terribly under delivered, it was a lazy copy/paste of Brawl with extra charters that took 7 years to make.

So many N64 games were fantastic back in the day, so I sort of disagree. But most of them don't hold up well today at all. I think that's more of the problem.

Halo 3's multiplayer might be my favorite ever. Just an amazing game.

Black Flag I also believe is phenomenal. Only AC2 is in the same tier.

And kinda agree on SSB4 as well. There's just no magic to the games anymore. To be fair, I don't know how to make any big change to the franchise at this point that would be a huge improvement.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
- The Last Of Us is one of the most overrated games ever made

- The rebooted version of Lara Croft is a much better character than old school Lara

- Resident Evil 4, for all of its praise is the worst thing to happen to that series

- Pro Melee players need to stop acting like babies and move on like the rest of the FGC does instead of playing a 16 year old game.

- Wind Waker is the best Zelda game.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
People will stop playing the NES console 2 months from now.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I enjoyed Final Fantasy 8 more then I did 7 or 9.

I would like to see a return to WW2 for FPS.

If it is not one of the original 151, then it is not a Pokemon.

Fallout and Bioshock are overrated.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
FF9 was the best FF of the Playstation 1 era
Link to the Past is super overrated
Chrono Cross was better than Chrono Trigger

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
Tomb Raider > Mario 64
Vice City > San Andreas

Red Dead Redemption sucks and is the epitome of an empty open world.

Ornstein and Smough is a garbage boss fight that relies on **** mechanics like Smough hitting you through Ornstein, semi-random hitboxes, and losing your lock-on.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
So many N64 games were fantastic back in the day, so I sort of disagree. But most of them don't hold up well today at all. I think that's more of the problem.

Halo 3's multiplayer might be my favorite ever. Just an amazing game.

Black Flag I also believe is phenomenal. Only AC2 is in the same tier.

And kinda agree on SSB4 as well. There's just no magic to the games anymore. To be fair, I don't know how to make any big change to the franchise at this point that would be a huge improvement.

It kinda makes me sad to have seen the 343 Halo games miss the mark by so much. Halo has kind of turned into a punchline as the ultimate dudebro game. But the original Halo trilogy was superb. The first game is a timeless classic, Halo 2 took it into the next generation with much needed updates and a great story, Halo 3 really nailed the multiplayer like never before and gave the best online FOS experience I can remember.

Even the spinoffs were good. I loved ODST, Reach was a decent spinoff that didn't change the world but had solid Halo gameplay. I even like Halo Wars. I'm dreaming of the day that becomes available on Steam and I can play it on Mouse and Keyboard.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
- The Last Of Us is one of the most overrated games ever made

- The rebooted version of Lara Croft is a much better character than old school Lara

- Resident Evil 4, for all of its praise is the worst thing to happen to that series

- Pro Melee players need to stop acting like babies and move on like the rest of the FGC does instead of playing a 16 year old game.

- Wind Waker is the best Zelda game.

I LOLed.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
2d sonic is one of the most overrated video game series ever. About 25% of the game was the actually speed advertised.

The other 75% is some of the most unresponsive, sluggish, stop and start platforming in video gaming.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Medieval: Total War was the highpoint of the Total War series. With each subsequent release, th graphics have got better and the gameplay has got worse.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
Knights of the Old Republic II is legitimately one of the greatest games ever produced by man

Mortal Kombat was oceans more fun than Street Fighter

original Halo was a masterpiece and every game has gone downhill since then

Blizzard games have been a giant pile of disappointment since Wrath of the Lich King. WoW was originally great because it was a simple game with scaling complexity, and has now become a complex game with scaling simplicity

Alpha Centauri was miles better than any Civilization game, and Civilization II is still the best Civilization

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Tomb Raider > Mario 64
Vice City > San Andreas

Red Dead Redemption sucks and is the epitome of an empty open world.

Ornstein and Smough is a garbage boss fight that relies on **** mechanics like Smough hitting you through Ornstein, semi-random hitboxes, and losing your lock-on.

Raise you Skyrim and Elder Scrolls :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad