Confirmed with Link: Unified Suspension Theory (Thornton Gets 15, Engo Gets 5)

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Chris Adamski ‏@C_AdamskiTrib

Orpik said Thornton was "really apologetic." "Knew he made a mistake and regretted it right away." Calls Thornton "a pretty good friend."

I still think Thortons hand was forced by their obnoxious coach. I dont think he does something that premeditated off the cuff to a friend....

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Hey dudes, this thread is getting close to 1000 posts.

Question: now that the big news has been covered and only Engo remains suspended, when one of the mods closes this do you want to continue suspension talk in a new thread or maybe we're pretty good / have covered all the ground we need to cover?

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010

Question: now that the big news has been covered and only Engo remains suspended, when one of the mods closes this do you want to continue suspension talk in a new thread or maybe we're pretty good / have covered all the ground we need to cover?

The Thornton thing will still stick around for a while, so I think we should have a thread to continue discussing that.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa

If anything comes from the thorton appeal it probably could get its own thread, and if not the subject is more or less dead

Finesse

nostromo
Dec 9, 2013

Isn't Thornton appealing to Bettman today?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Amazes me the things hockey players can put behind them. There's my good friend that assaulted me in Boston once.

I do wonder how that play is going to effect Brooks and if he'll back off the physical play a bit. He shouldn't but you never know.

Hockey players are very quickly to forgive, but not forget, I think. I also think that has a ton to do growing up in hockey where guys typically play on more than one team. I know growing up, I would have a guy on my team one night, and on a different team the next. I actually got into a scrap in a game I was playing in against one of my best friends who was also my defensive partner on our other team, I was dating his sister, and I picked him up for school the next day. It's just part of the game, I think. You understand what you have to do out there, and like Brooks said, his record is far from clean. As the saying goes, if you point the finger, there's 3 pointing back at you.

It's a tremendously emotional game, and that emotion makes good people outside of the game do dumb things within the game some times.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
It's a tremendously emotional game, and that emotion makes good people outside of the game do dumb things within the game some times.

That excuse for Thornton flew out the window for me when 15 minutes of play passed and Thornton still went neanderthal.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I hope they give him 14 games. :laugh:

What would be awesome is if they increased it (isn't that also a possibility?).

It is possible that Bettman could increase the suspension. It's also possible the independent arbitrator could increase the suspension too. Doubt it happens though.

TheStinger

Non Omnis Moriar
Mar 30, 2009
Barcelona, Catalunya
www.facebook.com
I've only just watched the video explaining Engo's suspension and it is complete BS. They say that Abdelkader doesn't significantly alter his body position when Engo begins to move in for the check, and yet while they are saying this the slow motion replay clearly shows Abdelkader going from a bent over position to a significantly more upright position. If Abdelkader remains bent over, as they say he did, Engo gets him square in the shoulder/upper arm region and knocks him over. But Abdelkader raised his body up and changed Engo's point of attack from his upper arm to his head, through no fault of Engo's.

I get that they upped the suspension because of his history, but the explanation as it stands is ridiculous and not what the video shows.

Meanwhile, they get it completely right with the Wilson/Schenn hit, which showed the same amount of body position change (albeit in a different direction) as this one and they let that go. What gives?

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Bettman's ruling mirrors what we were saying here on HFBoards... Multiple rule infractions, Intent, not emotionally driven, deserved more and was knocked down for prior good behavior. Simular plays didn't have all the same factors... well written for the most part... high chance it survives a mediator, or doesn't even go there.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Bettman said it could have been more:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/24/bettman-upholds-15-game-suspension-for-thornton/

Bettman concluded, “In these circumstances, I have no trouble concluding that a very lengthy suspension is warranted and that the decision to impose a fifteen (15) game suspension is supported by clear and convincing evidence. In fact, in light of all the circumstances relating to the underlying conduct, it is certainly possible to argue for a more severe punishment, but I am comfortable relying on Mr. Shanahan’s judgment.â€

Would be interesting if an arbitrator felt the same way. He would also have the right to add games to the suspension.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Bettman said it could have been more:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/24/bettman-upholds-15-game-suspension-for-thornton/

Would be interesting if an arbitrator felt the same way. He would also have the right to add games to the suspension.

That was put in there to deter further appeal. An arbiter could tack on more, and unless the NHLPA has something more than the vids they already submitted, The league could make a pretty good argument this is being done as a protective deterrent. They wont though....

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I kinda chuckled reading through Bettman's decision at Thornton's defense. That he was just going for the biggest man in the scrum and didn't know it was Orpik. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad