Confirmed with Link: Unified Suspension Theory (Thornton Gets 15, Engo Gets 5)

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
Thornton certainly doesn't do the NHLPA any favors and makes the NHL look ridiculously good. I guess he is standing up for fighting 4th liners or something. He is sorry, but only this much sorry.

That said, what is the mitigating circumstance to argue it down? First time offender is a pretty weak defense compared to the fact that it wasn't a hockey play and premeditated. "Orpik didn't honor the CODE so I shouldn't either" "I didn't see the ref or hear the whistle?"

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Think appealing does the PA a lot of good. I'll repost this here.

If I was the NHLPA, I would also use this as a test case. Not because he'll win (he's got no chance of winning), but because I would

a) want to get a sense of the arbitration process if I was Fehr.
b) send a message to the NHL that long suspensions will be met in kind with lengthy, costly disputes--even those we know we'll lose

That said, this action makes it clear that Thornton's teary-eyed press conference was a cynical crock in the same vein as Lance Armstrong's Oprah interview, if that much wasn't clear already.

Suspensions involve a loss of money, which is the primary purpose of the PA--to guard against losses of money.

As those escalate, it's probably in Fehr's interests as officer of that organization to make known that escalation will be met with trench warfare.

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
It might give the PA a sense of how arbitration will play out, but I will argue this is a bad test case. I would have thought that they would at least try to pick a battle where the incident in question actually resembled hockey. The NHL will be able to wave this as a banner as the PA fighting their efforts to make it a safer game and slam this any time they want.

TheStinger

Non Omnis Moriar
Mar 30, 2009
Barcelona, Catalunya
www.facebook.com
Seriously, what can Thornton possibly be trying to appeal. There have been a few really bad assaults in the last ten years that have got similar lengths of suspension and most of them were during play or at the very least part of a hockey-esque play. This was well after the whistle, he skated from the other end of the ice and then attacked Orpik in retaliation for a clean hit he made FIFTEEN MINUTES BEFORE!!!!

As much as Thornton wants to say he is sorry and he didn't mean for it to happen like it did, the fact is it did happen like it did and he needs to accept the punishment for what he did. His clean record of 11 years can't mitigate the offence he enacted. It was brutality at its basest form and had nothing to do with hockey.

If Thornton had of attacked Orpik at the time of the Ericsson hit and the result was the same, he would be looking at maybe a five game suspension, because at least Orpik would have probably been expecting something to happen to him and tried to defend himself.

The factors surrounding the incident are what make the suspension what it is. And if the Appeals Tribunal have any balls at all, they will uphold the suspension as it stands. Or this whole thing is a joke.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Why are we surprised he is appealing? It's within his rights to appeal so he is. I don't think any more or less of him for doing so.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
If I am Bettman, I add 10+ games to the suspension, say its an inexcusable hit.... then let the arbiter knock it back to 20... but then again I have balls....

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I just don't understand it. You take responsibility and accountability, but you appeal? What message does that send to other hockey players around the league?

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I just don't understand it. You take responsibility and accountability, but you appeal? What message does that send to other hockey players around the league?

You said it last week buddy... all he thought he had to do was say he's sorry.

This whole thing where players come to the press afterward and sigh a lot and express their "sorrow" is as much an act as genuine emotion. It's a widely used PR gimmick (by actors, politicians, athletes, media personalities -- you name it) designed to mitigate the consequences.

So whether you are sorry or you're not sorry, your agent will insist that you get up there and pretend like you're sorrowful and "taking responsibility". All that crap Julien spewed afterward? Damage control. PR 101. Not saying these two are the only one who do this stuff (most of them do it in situations like this), but he's appealing... because he doesn't actually think he did anything that was "too wrong". The truth is he thinks he deserves 7 or 8 games and not 15. Talk is cheap, actions are what you go by in judging these situations.

Last edited:

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Thank you. EXACTLY what I'm talking about. It's like a part of our culture now -- people think it's OK to lie even when you're supposedly coming clean (even if there's no real legal trouble to speak of, just shame or embarrassment).

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
a nuanced view of varying degrees and types of contrition is unsurprisingly deeply ensconced within the doctrines of the catholic church whose teachings thornton should have ample time to study during his 25 game suspension.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I really hope Bettman brings up Throton's interview with Katie Strang. Particularly this part:

If you’re one of those guys that suckers someone when they’re down or you go after somebody that doesn’t deserve it or isn’t the same category as you, that will come back and bite you at some point, too

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
You said it last week buddy... all he thought he had to do was say he's sorry.

This whole thing where players come to the press afterward and sigh a lot and express their "sorrow" is as much an act as genuine emotion. It's a widely used PR gimmick (by actors, politicians, athletes, media personalities -- you name it) designed to mitigate the consequences.

So whether you are sorry or you're not sorry, your agent will insist that you get up there and pretend like you're sorrowful and "taking responsibility". All that crap Julien spewed afterward? Damage control. PR 101. Not saying these two are the only one who do this stuff (most of them do it in situations like this), but he's appealing... because he doesn't actually think he did anything that was "too wrong". The truth is he thinks he deserves 7 or 8 games and not 15. Talk is cheap, actions are what you go by in judging these situations.

Just had this exact conversation with a buddy. "I'm really sorry I sexted out d*ck pics. I'm ashamed of myself." Uhhh that's believable enough for you to even have a shred of career to fall back on? Ok... No matter how commonly accepted it is for certain media figureheads to be phony, it never makes it any less infuriating.

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
5 games for Engelland:

Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Deryk Engelland has been suspended for five games, without pay, for an illegal check to the head of Detroit Red Wings forward Justin Abdelkader during NHL Game No. 491 in Detroit on Saturday, Dec. 14, the National Hockey League's Department of Player Safety announced today.

The incident occurred at 19:30 of the first period. Engelland was assessed a match penalty for an illegal check to the head.

Based on his average annual salary, Engelland will forfeit $14,529.90. The money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

[NHL]514993&lang=en[/NHL]

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=696614&navid=nhl:topheads

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad