Confirmed with Link: Unified Suspension Theory (Thornton Gets 15, Engo Gets 5)

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
5 games is fine for Engo. I wouldn't have cared if it was longer.

But I am a little curious as to what the point of writing in the repeat offender rule as being within the last 18 months was if they are just going to ignore it and use all past history.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I'm fine with 5, I don't think Engelland meant to get him in the head just didn't line him up right. Hopefully he's permanently demoted to 7th dmen and occasional 4th line forward from now on.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I'm fine with 5, I don't think Engelland meant to get him in the head just didn't line him up right. Hopefully he's permanently demoted to 7th dmen and occasional 4th line forward from now on.

You beautiful dreamer. You're so cute.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I know there are different things that determine the length of suspension, but i hate how Neal and Engo got suspended the same amount of games, to me the Neal hit should of been way more games then the Engo hit.

ETA

Aug 8, 2008
Got to get head shots out of the game but it seems to me like the players who are about to get hit can / are gaming the system to some extent.

Don't want to get hit? Just lean into the incoming player with your head and he's got to stop short or risk taking a suspension. Seeing way too many players doing this or turning to show their numbers at the last second these days.

Again, nobody wants to see some player get hurt obviously. But I cant say that I like where the game seems to be headed...

Finesse

nostromo
Dec 9, 2013
I know there are different things that determine the length of suspension, but i hate how Neal and Engo got suspended the same amount of games, to me the Neal hit should of been way more games then the Engo hit.

But why? They're both head-shots, during gameplay, which the hitter claimed was unintentional. They're very similar in this regard.

ETA

Aug 8, 2008

Neal would have got more games if the intent was more obvious. Now I'm willing to guess that Neal knew exactly what he was doing but there's some room for doubt there . Reminded me of the Steckel hit on Crosby a bit...

If it were up to me I'd take intent totally out of the equation and make head contact like a high sticking call in that the player is responsible for his actions period.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
But why? They're both head-shots, during gameplay, which the hitter claimed was unintentional. They're very similar in this regard.

Both should be suspended, but i feel like Engo was a hockey hit that went bad, to me the Neal knee was a dirty hit that was an attempt to injure a player.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Got to get head shots out of the game but it seems to me like the players who are about to get hit can / are gaming the system to some extent.

Don't want to get hit? Just lean into the incoming player with your head and he's got to stop short or risk taking a suspension. Seeing way too many players doing this or turning to show their numbers at the last second these days.

Again, nobody wants to see some player get hurt obviously. But I cant say that I like where the game seems to be headed...

There needs to be more onus on the players to protect themselves, that's the only way this will work. Put the responsibility on players not to hit someone in a dangerous situation, Wilson on Schenn, and on the players not to put themselves in bad situations, D'Amigo. Don't target the head, don't make your head a target.

If they can't keep their head up or they keep doing the same self endangering thing then sit them until they learn. It's for the good of everybody.

FlightlessBird

Nov 5, 2005
Pittsburgh
It needed to be longer for the team's sake. What was the point of doing it in person if he only got 5 games?

I was thinking since the Pens were going to be in New York soon after the hit, they decided to just have it in person. They knew he'd be getting suspended, so the one game in between wasn't that big of a deal.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
5 games seems right. They could have announced they are banning him from the league and I wouldn't have been disappointed though. He isn't horrible but we have better options on D.

titaniumexpose

LG Pens & Sharks
Dec 13, 2006
Ohio by way of Ford City, PA
It all comes down to whether someone's hurt or not, that's just not going far enough to get this crap out of the game. Every day somebody's getting a hearing for something, you can't tell me bigger suspensions regardless of injury wouldn't help. I keep picturing Crosby as the receiver as one of these hits (especially Neal's hit), getting concussed, jeopardizing his later health, and losing prime playing time. I do believe it's a trade off with the speed of the game though, head contact is unavoidable.

5 games is okay for a hockey play (Engelland) but laughable for reckless intent (Neal).

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
C'mon Shanny! Should've game him 10. More time with the youngsters might have made Shero reconsider how him and Danny-boy are or aren't developing picks in a reasonable time-frame.

Sotty

Nov 1, 2004
Westfalen
I hope DB realizes in the next couple of games how much better the other defensemen are, but I doubt it. DB will got right back to Engo without thinking twice as soon as the suspension runs out.:shakehead

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
5 games for Engelland:

[NHL]514993&lang=en[/NHL]

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=696614&navid=nhl:topheads

Based on that explanation, I still don't see how it's different from Nystrom's hit on Letang a couple years ago, other than Engelland's prior history.

If your head was down reaching for a puck, you were fair game...that was the line we got when Letang got hit. This suspension worked out to our benefit because we get Bort in the line-up, but they better be ****ing consistent with this from now on. If you're reaching for a puck with your head down, it's the hitter's responsibility to err on the side of caution.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
I think this round of suspensions (there have been a fair number lately leaguewide) is as much about sending messages as meting out justice. I doubt they say it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Boston incidents factored into Engelland's suspension.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Chris Adamski ‏@C_AdamskiTrib

Orpik said Thornton was "really apologetic." "Knew he made a mistake and regretted it right away." Calls Thornton "a pretty good friend."

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Chris Adamski ‏@C_AdamskiTrib

Orpik said Thornton was "really apologetic." "Knew he made a mistake and regretted it right away." Calls Thornton "a pretty good friend."
Amazes me the things hockey players can put behind them. There's my good friend that assaulted me in Boston once.

I do wonder how that play is going to effect Brooks and if he'll back off the physical play a bit. He shouldn't but you never know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad