OT: Under Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Oh it's worth a look if the sky is clear... it's amazing. I've seen a lot of these, and this one looks darker than most that I remember

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Upstate NY checking in; IT'S MOTHER f***ING COLD!!!!!!!!!! Put on 3 layers and cleared snow from my car. The in car thermometer said 4 F at high noon. Looked at the knuckles on my left head and they were turning white. Warmed the car up and said 'f*** IT! I'LL WARM UP FOR 2 HOURS BEFORE TAKING THE SNOW OFF THE TOP OF THE CAR!!!' Forgive the capitalization because the weather instantly froze my eardrums.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Upstate NY checking in; IT'S MOTHER ****ING COLD!!!!!!!!!! Put on 3 layers and cleared snow from my car. The in car thermometer said 4 F at high noon. Looked at the knuckles on my left head and they were turning white. Warmed the car up and said '**** IT! I'LL WARM UP FOR 2 HOURS BEFORE TAKING THE SNOW OFF THE TOP OF THE CAR!!!' Forgive the capitalization because the weather instantly froze my eardrums.
10 degrees F here in central Ohio at noon; it was below 0 this morning. No real Snowmageddon, but it's cold as hell all the same.

And it was overcast last night, so I missed the moon. :(

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
It was snowing (and by snow I mean large flakes but not enough to do more than be pretty) last night when the eclipse was supposed to be happening in my neck of the woods so there was cloud cover. I saw pictures, though. Pretty spectacular if you were in a clear spot.

As an aside, my granddaughter has now sung with both the Fisk Jubilee Singers and the Nashville Symphony. She's in a choir at school and they were selected to perform in a program honoring Martin Luther King, Jr. It was very well done. I didn't even need the vodka I fortified myself with before the program. (That said, Symphony mixed drinks are a little weak)

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Future greetings from Siberia.

DxxkE0DXQAEypVn.jpg:large

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I've never been but I've heard that a lot of buildings in downtown Minneapolis are connected by breezeways. I had an Uber passenger once who lived and worked there and he said it could be -20 degrees and he'd wear a t shirt to work because he left his home garage, parked for work in a garage, worked, ate lunch blocks away and went back home without ever stepping outside.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Considering I can remember the record cold in Tennessee, I'm gonna guess it hasn't been that long ago it was nearly that cold up there.

Nah, it hasn't been this cold here in a long time. Record low in Milwaukee is -26 in 1996 and I doubt the wind chill has ever gotten to 60 below.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I remember we had a pretty rough 2013-14 winter season. We had a small ice storm in October which is absurd. Then we had a prolonged streak of temperatures in the teens and single digits. Then we had a couple other snow days because I remember that was my first winter with my company at that time so I was nervous about how to handle coming in or staying home. One winter event happened in January that year because I remember I was going to go to Cincinnati to watch the Chargers play (beat) the Bengals in a playoff game but I didn't because the weather was going to be too rough to drive in.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Nah, it hasn't been this cold here in a long time. Record low in Milwaukee is -26 in 1996 and I doubt the wind chill has ever gotten to 60 below.
Wind chill isn't something they ever really tracked and frankly I'm not sure it's even a scientific reading if I remember right.

The records here were set in the early 80's ( 82 maybe) and seems like it didn't get above zero. I can recall dad saying it was the first time he had seen it frost under the house.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Coldest I remember in Nashville was -17. January 21, 1985. It had snowed and it was powdery like ski snow! Couldn't really drive anywhere so we walked to the Big Star (?) next to the KMart to get groceries (we lived a street behind it). It was like going back in time. They had stuff I'd literally not seen in groceries for 20 years...and I wasn't even 30! Souse, pigs feet...they had all the pork pieces!

Just saw a report that said we might get some snow next week. Simon says "Go Snow!"

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Wind chill isn't something they ever really tracked and frankly I'm not sure it's even a scientific reading if I remember right.

The records here were set in the early 80's ( 82 maybe) and seems like it didn't get above zero. I can recall dad saying it was the first time he had seen it frost under the house.
Fact or Fiction?: Wind Chill Is Real

explained

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I don't remember it ever being as cold as they say it's going to be.

In 1981-82 and a few years later, maybe 1988. The second time, one of our windows cracked in the corner from the compression. It went down to -25 or -26 a few times in Milwaukee. The wind chill was supposed to be -87 below, but it was a miscalculation. It was about -75 below WC.

When I got to work this morning it was -2 F with -24 WC. Now, it is a toasty 3 F at my house.

I visited by brother in Minneapolis in 2004. It went down to -33 F. My sister-in-law said that out in the country, it was probably -40 F. My car battery died because my car was sitting out. When my brother and I pushed it into his garage to warm up, I hopped into the seat to steer and brake the last couple of feet. My stadium cushion sounded like glass breaking when I landed on it. I guess it was below the glass transition temperature.

Last edited:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I've never been but I've heard that a lot of buildings in downtown Minneapolis are connected by breezeways. I had an Uber passenger once who lived and worked there and he said it could be -20 degrees and he'd wear a t shirt to work because he left his home garage, parked for work in a garage, worked, ate lunch blocks away and went back home without ever stepping outside.

The Skyway system. It runs for 11 miles now and connects 80 blocks on the second floor. It is the longest in the world. I have walked in a small portion of it. It is like being in a hallway in your house, only wider and with windows.

Toronto has some connecting tunnels around the Eaton Center. You can also hop on their subway from it.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Mr. Adz experienced -60 wind chill, or it was reported as such. It was while I was living in Alabama and he was in Nashville so it would have been 1982 ish. I came up the following weekend and it was still really cold but you could at least open car doors at that point. That is not the south I know and love. ;-)

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I hate our weather people around Nashville. I think they forecast snow knowing it's not going to do jack and then change the forecast at last minute just to get people to watch the news.

At least my drive from Franklin home to Shelbyville should be easier in the morning.

Reactions: predfan98

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I hate our weather people around Nashville. I think they forecast snow knowing it's not going to do jack and then change the forecast at last minute just to get people to watch the news.

At least my drive from Franklin home to Shelbyville should be easier in the morning.
My friend's wife is a weather person on local TV here (channel 5....I think. I can never remember). I'll ask him if she just trolls everyone by predicting snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad