OT: Under Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I've had my faucets dripping nonstop for a week now.
The lows tonight through Wednesday are supposed to be somewhere between 15 and 20 depending on where you look, and you can't go anywhere here without people talking about it. I literally just got off the phone with a friend whose wife forgot to buy diapers for their son and he had to go back and get some because it was going to be "too cold" starting in a few hours so he's getting it out of the way now. But all will be well by the time our next home game Saturday when the high will be 59 and Sunday/ Monday is supposed to be in the 60s. Temporary struggles.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
The lows tonight through Wednesday are supposed to be somewhere between 15 and 20 depending on where you look, and you can't go anywhere here without people talking about it. I literally just got off the phone with a friend whose wife forgot to buy diapers for their son and he had to go back and get some because it was going to be "too cold" starting in a few hours so he's getting it out of the way now. But all will be well by the time our next home game Saturday when the high will be 59 and Sunday/ Monday is supposed to be in the 60s. Temporary struggles.

Going to the Admirals game on Saturday and the weather will be fine too. Tickets were free too so I probably would've just not gone if the weather was going to suck.

sPD4bXQ.png

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Going to the Admirals game on Saturday and the weather will be fine too. Tickets were free too so I probably would've just not gone if the weather was going to suck.

sPD4bXQ.png
It's pretty bad of me to feel good for you all that the high Saturday will be 39.

In all seriousness no matter if it's cold or hot weather it's all about what you're accustomed to. -26, -30 and -14 I can't even wrap my head around. That's incomprehensible to me. My dad grew up near Chicago and my grandmother still lives there and she deals with it but me personally? Yikes.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
There are probably people in the Nashville area who won’t drive today for fear of black ice.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
The high temperature tomorrow is supposed to be 27 and there are multiple counties where the schools are closed for cold weather.

Or you could be here in Wilson County where schools are closed all week for "widespread illness".

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
It is -18 F in Milwaukee at 6 AM, with a wind chill of -48 F. The expected low at 9 AM is -23 F with a -60 F WC.

Oak Creek is -21 F, it is just south of Mitchell Airport. Beaver Dam is -25 F. That is in a triangle between Milwaukee, Madison and Green Bay.

Your 80 Proof whiskey freezes at -17 F.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
There are probably people in the Nashville area who won’t drive today for fear of black ice.

I hit black ice in Milwaukee on October 30th in the mid 1990s. It was 30 F and a median strip water pipe for flowers broke and leaked into the left lane overnight. I was going 25 mph and could not stop for a red Toyota pickup truck that spun out 200 feet in front of me. I pumped the brakes a few times and then tried to rub the curb. My car would not slow down nor change direction. Another car spun out behind me and hit the right curb very hard. I checked on her right after the lady driving the Toyota, who was fine. The lady that hit the curb thought her nose was broken. I told her that I was a hockey fan and broken noses bleed like a faucet, so she was okay, since she had no blood coming out at all.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
It's pretty bad of me to feel good for you all that the high Saturday will be 39.

In all seriousness no matter if it's cold or hot weather it's all about what you're accustomed to. -26, -30 and -14 I can't even wrap my head around. That's incomprehensible to me. My dad grew up near Chicago and my grandmother still lives there and she deals with it but me personally? Yikes.

I am concerned that a temperature like that will cause flooding with all the snow that we have on the ground.

Edit: Officially, we have 12 inches on the ground. I can tell you that it is about knee deep and the bottom of my knees are 18 inches. We have had a lot of wind blow the snow around and off the roofs of houses and garages. That would account for the extra 6 inches of snow.

Last edited:

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Sometimes I wonder about the logic requirements of being a school admin.

Rutherford County canceled schools after all of the kids had been dropped off. I guess their logic is that it's better to get them all back into vehicles and out onto the road. Brilliant!

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
It's amazing the difference from when I was a kid. If it started snowing we would get the " we checked the radar and it's not gonna last long so school is still on". Now if they even talk about snow they shut down.

I feel bad for kids today tbh. Gotta be one long boring day to have a snow day and no snow to play in. We burnt half of the day at least just doing that.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
It's amazing the difference from when I was a kid. If it started snowing we would get the " we checked the radar and it's not gonna last long so school is still on". Now if they even talk about snow they shut down.

I feel bad for kids today tbh. Gotta be one long boring day to have a snow day and no snow to play in. We burnt half of the day at least just doing that.

My daughter once complained that in 14 years (K4-12) she never got a snow day. One time we got 14 inches on a Saturday and school was open on Monday while Mitchell and O'Hare Airports were still closed. Attendance was less than 50% in a district where it runs 98%. That is too much snow for Milwaukee to handle. Six inches is no problem and 8 inches is still workable. When you hit 10 inches in a day, you can't keep up.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
My daughter once complained that in 14 years (K4-12) she never got a snow day. One time we got 14 inches on a Saturday and school was open on Monday while Mitchell and O'Hare Airports were still closed. Attendance was less than 50% in a district where it runs 98%. That is too much snow for Milwaukee to handle. Six inches is no problem and 8 inches is still workable. When you hit 10 inches in a day, you can't keep up.
10 inches would have cities locked down here lol

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
So, this is going to sound really stupid but I just went outside in a hoodie and it felt a lot warmer than the -20 with a -50 windchill that it says it is right now.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Weather Channel website says it's 23 and feels like 15. I was really cold when I went outside but it didn't feel that bad.

Weren't we supposed to get snow or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad