OT: Under Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
You're from Cincy? My condolences.

Actually, I am from Dayton. I did go to college in Cincinnati. They had a nice little one with 43,000 students when I was there.

I picked up that expression from a guy in Dayton. He had a Kentucky accent.

I have posted before that my brother says that "Cincinnati is the place where the East, the Midwest and the South collide".

Reactions: Viqsi

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Actually, I am from Dayton. I did go to college in Cincinnati. They had a nice little one with 43,000 students when I was there.

I picked up that expression from a guy in Dayton. He had a Kentucky accent.

I have posted before that my brother says that "Cincinnati is the place where the East, the Midwest and the South collide".
We said that in my old stomping grounds of Lewisburg TN. You may have been talking to my old boyfriend (and still one of my best friends), who lives outside Dayton in Bellbrook.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
We said that in my old stomping grounds of Lewisburg TN. You may have been talking to my old boyfriend (and still one of my best friends), who lives outside Dayton in Bellbrook.

His name was Tim and he had a curly perm. We worked together in the summer of 1978 at Hobart making those machines that you see at a grocery store that stamp packages like pork chops with UPC codes and the price. It was the new thing

Bellbrook is a nice area diagonally across town from where I lived. I did drive on Alex-Bell Road a few times. They had beautiful black walnut trees in that neighborhood into the 1990s. That was probably the last time I was in Bellbrook.

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
So apparently Shelbyville had an earthquake that measured 2.9 last night.

How weird.....I wonder how many sites in middle Tennessee register those "numbers"... I have no clue how that would even feel, I'm guessing you wouldn't even feel it? Anyone ever experience one?

Reactions: adsfan

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
How weird.....I wonder how many sites in middle Tennessee register those "numbers"... I have no clue how that would even feel, I'm guessing you wouldn't even feel it? Anyone ever experience one?
Apparently you can feel it ( I was at work in Franklin), mainly because of the rock bed around here. It was picked up by the helicorder station at Cedars of Lebanon.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
I did. I was in college at Pitt. I was laying on my bed watching tv one afternoon and I felt my bed shaking. I sat up wondering what the heck that was, didn't feel it anymore, laid back down, felt it again, sat back up, didn't feel it, laid back down and by then it was over, probably a total of about 30 seconds. I thought it was weird, but didn't think anything else about it. Later that night the news had a commercial teaser that said "We'll have more coverage of the Pittsburgh earthquake coming up at 11." That's when I realized the shaking was from the quake.

The next day a lot of people were talking about it, but no one else felt it. My dorm was on the top of a big hill and I was on the 9th floor so that's why I could feel it more than any of my friends in other dorms or that were in classes at the time.

To me, it felt like if you were laying on a float in a pool at one end and someone jumped in at the other end and the ripples from the jump spread to your float and started shaking it.

It was fairly "minor" 5.something in magnitude. But, I know that it wasn't a big earthquake because nothing fell off my wall or anything, but I'm sure there was at least some minor damage around town. I just remember the shaking, lol.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I was in college and had rented a house during the summer with 3 other guys from my dorm. It was on top of a big hill. I was reading the Sunday newspaper when the house shook for 10 or 15 seconds. I went to the front window and door to see if the wind was blowing. It wasn't. I sat down and began reading again. The house began shaking harder than before. The light in the dining room began swinging like a pendulum and a few dishes rattled for a few seconds. It was a 5.2 centered in Maysville, Kentucky, about 80 miles away from Cincinnati. The radio announced what happened about 90 minutes later. A giant eagle on City Hall fell down and smashed through the concrete steps to the main entrance. On a work day, people probably would have been killed by it. One of the other guys slept through the whole thing.

Edit: My grandparents lived in Dayton, 50 miles north of Cincinnati, and 2 blocks from my mom. She told me that Grandpa yelled at Grandma because she went down to the basement to get a fan to use because it was going to be hot that day. The earthquake struck while she was digging it out and my grandfather thought that what she was doing shook the house. I never heard him yell at anybody in the 30 years that we were both alive!

I did talk to Gramps a few weeks later when I was at home. He told me that he had been in another earthquake back in Hungary when he was a school boy. He said it happened before Christmas. I found an almanac that had one earthquake in Hungary December 12, 1905. He would have been 12 at the time. In Hungary, they have a 5.5 - 6.0 quake every 40 or 50 years. They had another one in 1956, 51 years later.

Last edited:
Reactions: sparkle twin

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
His name was Tim and he had a curly perm. We worked together in the summer of 1978 at Hobart making those machines that you see at a grocery store that stamp packages like pork chops with UPC codes and the price. It was the new thing

Bellbrook is a nice area diagonally across town from where I lived. I did drive on Alex-Bell Road a few times. They had beautiful black walnut trees in that neighborhood into the 1990s. That was probably the last time I was in Bellbrook.

His name...is Tim. He has curly hair. Ha ha! Yet another similarity.

But in the summer of 78 we were still coming home in the summers to work at one of the several pencil companies in Lewisburg. He didn't move to Ohio til probably 1985 or so. I went up there for his daughter's wedding--lovely part of the world.

re: earthquakes--I have been awakened out of a deep sleep by them several times. I remember one time in college I was telling people we'd had an earthquake--I'd felt it while hanging out of my third floor window cleaning it (ah, youth). They didn't believe me til it was reported as such. So I'm guessing some people are just more sensitive to them than others.

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
I think I'm going to play open hockey on Sunday. Wish me luck. I haven't been on the ice in at least 5 years.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I did. I was in college at Pitt. I was laying on my bed watching tv one afternoon and I felt my bed shaking. I sat up wondering what the heck that was, didn't feel it anymore, laid back down, felt it again, sat back up, didn't feel it, laid back down and by then it was over, probably a total of about 30 seconds. I thought it was weird, but didn't think anything else about it. Later that night the news had a commercial teaser that said "We'll have more coverage of the Pittsburgh earthquake coming up at 11." That's when I realized the shaking was from the quake.

The next day a lot of people were talking about it, but no one else felt it. My dorm was on the top of a big hill and I was on the 9th floor so that's why I could feel it more than any of my friends in other dorms or that were in classes at the time.

To me, it felt like if you were laying on a float in a pool at one end and someone jumped in at the other end and the ripples from the jump spread to your float and started shaking it.

It was fairly "minor" 5.something in magnitude. But, I know that it wasn't a big earthquake because nothing fell off my wall or anything, but I'm sure there was at least some minor damage around town. I just remember the shaking, lol.
When I was in college in Kentucky there was a 5.2 earthquake in Illinois that I felt fairly well in my apartment. I was lying in bed and it felt like my bed started to move a little bit. Because the bed was against the wall, my first thought was honestly that my roommate and his girlfriend were maybe.....well..... you know. But I stood up and quickly assumed it was an earthquake. About 10 minutes later I saw that it was.

Ironically, even though I lived in California for awhile, that's still probably the most I've felt a quake before. I've experienced a couple really small ones but the biggest one during my years there was a 7.2 right on the border with Mexico, however I was temporarily in Florida for my Panthers internship so I didn't experience it. The internship ended less than a week later so I almost did.

I was living like 10 miles away from this but this also happened while I was in Nashville for something so I barely missed it as well......however I was actually watching it through MLB TV.

Unfortunately many out there can't say the same.

But yeah earthquakes out east are different than out west. Out there it's more violent shaking whereas out here it's more of a rolling effect that can be felt further away from the epicenter. It's strange.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
When I was in college in Kentucky there was a 5.2 earthquake in Illinois that I felt fairly well in my apartment. I was lying in bed and it felt like my bed started to move a little bit. Because the bed was against the wall, my first thought was honestly that my roommate and his girlfriend were maybe.....well..... you know. But I stood up and quickly assumed it was an earthquake. About 10 minutes later I saw that it was.

Ironically, even though I lived in California for awhile, that's still probably the most I've felt a quake before. I've experienced a couple really small ones but the biggest one during my years there was a 7.2 right on the border with Mexico, however I was temporarily in Florida for my Panthers internship so I didn't experience it. The internship ended less than a week later so I almost did.

I was living like 10 miles away from this but this also happened while I was in Nashville for something so I barely missed it as well......however I was actually watching it through MLB TV.

But yeah earthquakes out east are different than out west. Out there it's more violent shaking whereas out here it's more of a rolling effect that can be felt further away from the epicenter. It's strange.

It's the type of rock that covers the Eastern US. It's why when they had the big quake in Missouri that made the Mississippi run backwards and form Realfoot lake they could feel it up in NY.

Reactions: Viqsi and Drake744

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I had more EQ stories, but I had to leave for work.

When my wife and I were first married, we were watching a Brewers game on TV. They were playing at Detroit, maybe in 1984 or '85. The TV announcers said that Tiger Stadium was shaking. Some of the people here in Wisconsin felt the quake. I wasn't sure if I did, it was delayed a bit.

There was another similar quake about 3 or 4 years later in the middle of the night. We slept through that one.

We were in Palm Springs in June of 1997 for a conference that my wife was attending. The kids were with us. We walked out of the hotel and were headed for the rental car to go to dinner at 7:30. I heard this loud SNAP, that did not sound like thunder. There was no rumble. The newspaper had a little filler story the next day saying that a 2.9 happened at 7 PM, which is when we were walking. I heard that one but didn't feel it. Palm Springs has a little earthquake nearly every day. The sound that I heard was the rocks breaking beneath the surface of the Earth.

Reactions: sparkle twin

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
It's the type of rock that covers the Eastern US. It's why when they had the big quake in Missouri that made the Mississippi run backwards and form Realfoot lake they could feel it up in NY.

I took a geology class in Cincinnati the term before the quake (a 5.2 on July 27th, 1980, I looked it up). When I told my house mate Kevin that this was an earthquake, he said that I was crazy.

I learned that from St Louis to Niagara Falls it is one giant rock. When the New Madrid earthquake(s) struck, church bells in Boston rang.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

That is funny, because when I was in college we had a 5.2 in Maysville, KY that I felt in Cincinnati. I looked it up, it was July 27th, 1980. That was a Sunday morning that I will never forget. Maysville is 78 miles southeast of Cincinnati via road, but a lot closer via earthquake.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN

--

Haha, you know, that thought actually crossed my mind for a second, too. But, the walls were too thick for that possibility, lol!

Every time there is talk of earthquakes, I always think of this episode, and this scene, from The Fresh Prince. "The ground moved! Nobody was bothering it, it just moved!" :laugh:

Reactions: Drake744

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I know my mind's default setting is hockey when I read the word Canadians in a non-hockey setting and it looks weird. I'm used to Canadiens being the proper spelling.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Getting cold quick, yall be careful going home tonight.

Could you define cold numerically? It is 14 F in Milwaukee at the moment. It feels like -8 F. It looks like the air temperature is headed for 7 F. More snow is on the way to join our current 6 inches in the last 24 hours or so.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Could you define cold numerically? It is 14 F in Milwaukee at the moment. It feels like -8 F. It looks like the air temperature is headed for 7 F. More snow is on the way to join our current 6 inches in the last 24 hours or so.

it's 19 F with a wind chill of 11 and a metric f***ton of snow.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well considering it was 61 here at 6pm and now at 8:30pm its 39, its definitely getting cold ( should bottom out in the 20's)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad