GDT: UND Hockey games

Status
Not open for further replies.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Everyone on this board was pissed at the Sens for selecting Kleven
Obviously not everyone was pissed but when the pick is followed by comments about how goalies handle the puck better and he made 1 controlled exit with puck previous season then people get upset.

After the smoke settled people were open minded. Now many are going the other way and are probably overstating his potential.

So far I couldn't be happier with all our UND kids and what an experience for them if they all end up playing in Ottawa together.

Not sure I can recall 4 players from any team all ending up on same NHL roster.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
There was a lot of people down on the pick though.

This board seems to have a reflexive dislike of big players with toughness. People are quick to assume that size means lack of skill, especially if it's a player that is physical. I remember the Gabriel Gagne pick being hated on because he was a "grinder" before people did anything beyond looking at height. It's like the opposite of the old "Euros are wimps" thing, people here seem to assume any North American player with size and physicality has no skill.

It's only cuz the word 'everyone' was used lol. People take it personally and are like 'WRONG! I WASNT THO!'

This is why wording is important

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Yeah not everyone but still many were unhappy. The word "everyone" shouldn't be used because it's basically never the case in reality.

Personally, I heard Nick Fohr talk about him so I wasn't down on him at all. Here's my first post on this pick :

Quite interesting to hear Fohr's take on Kleven potential. Sens obviously see him as a big riser in the next few years. Will be very interesting to keep an eye on him, he's a LONG TERM PROJECT. If he becomes anything close to Methot, that's more gold.

He looks pretty intimidating already at 17/18 wow

With guys like Chabot, Brannstrom, Thomson and Wolanin on board, it doesn't hurt to have Sanderson (2 way top pair) and Kleven.

Need to do more research on him but like everything I have read/seen so far

Fingers crossed someone replaces c brown and Tierney soon.
Formenton Abramov and pinto big upgrades (and Greig)

Connor Brown is far from a problem. Just don't expect him to score on breakaways and you will see him very differently. He always score when you didn't see it coming. He has 20 goals in 90 games in Ottawa. Only Tkachuk has more goals (26) in Ottawa since 2019-20

I see no rush in "getting rid" of Brown. He has speed, a non-stop motor, is excellent defensively and on the PK, can provide decent secondary offense on top of it. Only makes 3.6 for 2 more seasons.

Tierney could be traded IMO, to save on salary (will make 4.2 next year) and with guys like Stutzle, Norris, Pinto, White (Chlapik and Logan Brown too I guess) pushing at center, don't think he'll be needed much longer

Example for 2021-22

Formenton-Stutzle-Dadonov
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Paul-Pinto-White
Brown-Chlapik-Watson

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Yeah not everyone but still many were unhappy. The word "everyone" shouldn't be used because it's basically never the case in reality.

Personally, I heard Nick Fohr talk about him so I wasn't down on him at all. Here's my first post on this pick :

Quite interesting to hear Fohr's take on Kleven potential. Sens obviously see him as a big riser in the next few years. Will be very interesting to keep an eye on him, he's a LONG TERM PROJECT. If he becomes anything close to Methot, that's more gold.

He looks pretty intimidating already at 17/18 wow

With guys like Chabot, Brannstrom, Thomson and Wolanin on board, it doesn't hurt to have Sanderson (2 way top pair) and Kleven.

Need to do more research on him but like everything I have read/seen so far

Connor Brown is far from a problem. Just don't expect him to score on breakaways and you will see him very differently. He always score when you didn't see it coming. He has 20 goals in 90 games in Ottawa. Only Tkachuk has more goals (26) in Ottawa since 2019-20

I see no rush in "getting rid" of Brown. He has speed, a non-stop motor, is excellent defensively and on the PK, can provide decent secondary offense on top of it. Only makes 3.6 for 2 more seasons.

Tierney could be traded IMO, to save on salary (will make 4.2 next year) and with guys like Stutzle, Norris, Pinto, White (Chlapik and Logan Brown too I guess) pushing at center, don't think he'll be needed much longer

Example for 2021-22

Formenton-Stutzle-Dadonov
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Paul-Pinto-White
Brown-Chlapik-Watson
I’d rather have Abramov in for brown. Chlapik will likely be gone soon as well. Better options on the way.
And as much as I like that group of young guys. It could use a sniper or two. Maybe it’s got enough..will have to see how they do.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I’d rather have Abramov in for brown. Chlapik will likely be gone soon as well. Better options on the way.
And as much as I like that group of young guys. It could use a sniper or two. Maybe it’s got enough..will have to see how they do.

Why would you rather have Abramov over Brown? What can he provide over Brown in a defensive role?

As for the lineup, basically everything depends on how Stutzle develops and who he plays with. Not sure when we'll start to have a better idea. Sens only 19 GP in 1 year doesn't help.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Obviously not everyone was pissed but when the pick is followed by comments about how goalies handle the puck better and he made 1 controlled exit with puck previous season then people get upset.

After the smoke settled people were open minded. Now many are going the other way and are probably overstating his potential.

So far I couldn't be happier with all our UND kids and what an experience for them if they all end up playing in Ottawa together.

Not sure I can recall 4 players from any team all ending up on same NHL roster.
Especially after the late add-on to the US under 20 team, people perked up quite a bit even though he was an extra for the most part.

Emrasie

Mar 13, 2019
For what it's worth I'm not terribly impressed with Klevens passing but he does have great tools otherwise.

To say it was a bad pick and at the contrary now a good pick we should wait to see his level when he will be in professional league. For me it's impossible to tell from ncaa games between such young players who will be a top 2 D top 4D Ahl guys etc etc.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Kleven scores another goal. The guy has zero offensive ability. Right, right?! Lol

Tyler Kleven is a beast

Goodness gracious, I never realized/noticed how big Kleven is. Either he is at least 6'5" or all of his teammates that were on the ice there are 5'10".

If he continues to improve offensively, then I agree with you Rafi Bomb that he will be a beast because he already hits and shoots the puck like one.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
For what it's worth I'm not terribly impressed with Klevens passing but he does have great tools otherwise.

With a good number of elite puck handlers, having a large, elite skating d-man who is mean and has been going against the best in his age group is a real need for the Sens long term. Paired with a guy who is going to be a natural puck handler, you don't need a complimentary guy like Kleven to consistently be your QB and break out man. But having a nice shot and some skill in a pinch is a bonus.

Think of him as a slightly meaner version of Marc Methot, who probably has slightly better skills and skating as well. Or Jake Muzzin as another example.

Methot had 2 goals and 15 points and Muzzin 1 goal and 4 points the year each was drafted out of the OHL, respectively.

Kleven is exactly the type of player we're going to need in 3-4 years. I like the pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad