UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Very random question but when they get entirely new sets of Jersey's what happens to the old ones? Do the players get it or somewhere is their like decades of gamers stored away? I know every once in a blue moon I see an older jersey being auctioned but not often. All the merch talk kinda got me wondering

Each year, the seniors get to keep a jersey, which is replaced the following year.

When a set is retired, the seniors will get to keep theirs. Some 'friends' get to buy one and a few get auctioned (slowly) at games over the following seasons by the team.

There are no 'old old gamers' left. With the move from the LB Gym to the AUC, a lot of stuff was cleaned out of the LB Gym Basement and sold out of a box during a yard sale (yup an actual yard sale - I drove by and stopped out of curiosity and missed a late 80's jersey by 10min). A number of old old jerseys have been donated to the department for a future 'hall of fame' but there has been no traction for that idea. 'old gamers' from the past few seasons have been sold at games over the years and I don't believe any of them remain.

There are currently 5 sets of Jerseys;
- The Pro-White & Pro-Red / these are the old jerseys being re-stitched with new logos. These are custom Nike ‘Pro’ jerseys they’ve had for a few years. They may now be Adidas Pro jerseys.
- The Dye Sub-Black (New Brunswick) / used for US road trips and special occasions (2013 UCup game 1). They have ‘New Brunswick’ on the front in a similar design to the 1965 jersey. These are worn less often now as the numbers no longer matchup with today’s players.
- The Pro-Black (Red Devils) / these are new and the logo artwork is twill sown patches
- The Dye-Sub Camo / the 1st & 2nd generation black/red versions have been sold. The current ‘winter’ camo will be sold off and replaced with a new set (same camo with a new logo).

So, just the Black (New Brunswick) and last year’s Camo jerseys, are available for sale.

There is a rumor that the new Red Devil jersey will be sold. Hard to believe given that all of the artwork pieces are twill sown patches as well as having matching socks. When I’ve worked with the team on jerseys, socks have been something they don’t like to buy as they are expensive and rip easily. A replica of this jersey maybe sold? – I’ll ask around.

Online Sales

I happen to come across this site with UNB clothing today. I’ve never seen this site marketed by the department.

Varsity Reds Clothing

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Tough choice, they have great depth on the backend.

Randy Gazzola, Patrick Watling & James McEwan were out last Saturday (Randy and James have been out every game with one other player rotating through the odd spot).

Now a new player has to sit out. So James, a forward and a D.

Looking at +/- we have ...
Marcus McIvor (+8)
Olivier LeBlanc (+4)
Matt Murphy (+3)
Noah Carroll (+2)
Joe Gatenby (-3)
Tristan Pomerleau (-3)

I would think it's one of the bottom three.
--

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Randy Gazzola, Patrick Watling & James McEwan were out last Saturday (Randy and James have been out every game with one other player rotating through the odd spot).

Now a new player has to sit out. So James, a forward and a D.

Looking at +/- we have ...
Marcus McIvor (+8)
Olivier LeBlanc (+4)
Matt Murphy (+3)
Noah Carroll (+2)
Joe Gatenby (-3)
Tristan Pomerleau (-3)

I would think it's one of the bottom three.
--

In my view Noah Carroll, of all of the rookies, has had the toughest time adjusting to AUS hockey. He could perhaps benefit from an evening in the stands.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I did not expect UNB to dominate Acadia like that. Certainly their best game of the season so far. Just a fast relenting pase that the Axemen couldn’t keep up with. Parmeleau only faced 13 shots but made some nice saves to earn the shutout.

Waiting and Goulet were scratched. Heard McIvor is serving a two game suspension stemming from an incident in last Saturday’s game against SMU.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Acadia beaten by a more skilled lineup, that made them look bad for long stretches of play.
They had back to back pp's and spent most of the time in their own end, actually UNB had several short handed chances. Burns will be glad to get on the bus!:help:

Reactions: Rob

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
After some early season concern the Reds have definitely found their scoring touch. Boland has looked so much better this year. Boucher making an early case for rookie of the year.

By the way, according to the box score the attendance was 2800. Um no.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
After some early season concern the Reds have definitely found their scoring touch. Boland has looked so much better this year. Boucher making an early case for rookie of the year.

By the way, according to the box score the attendance was 2800. Um no.
Boland loosened his grip and things are going his way this year. Last year, he just seemed to be trying to force everything. Good to see.
As for attendance, the Buster Harvey tournament is this weekend, and they gave out tickets to the games to the teams. So regardless of how many showed up, they count every ticket "sold".

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
The 7-0 Score was actually very flattering for Dal. The game could have got really really ugly, UNB had hit what 7 or 8 Post on the night? I lost count after a few dings

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I did notice Goulet sitting in the stands had a Black Eye. Maybe he had that before Sundays game but I never noticed

Remember he did get mugged by Spears towards the end of the St. FX game...that may have caused it.

The good thing about having more depth this year is that they don’t have to rush anybody back from injury or have anyone play through injury. If someone is even slightly banged up they can keep them out until they are 100%.

Last edited:

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Baby-faced McEwan has looked very good in the games he has played. Gives UNB great depth. Similarly with Noah Carroll - he can't crack the starting 6 d-men right now, so he has more time to watch and learn.

UNB was flying on the weekend. Having the extra day off between X and Dal didn't do the Tigers any favours as they faced rested Reds.

Plus, it was the Fall Reading Week, so the UNB players would have had a pretty stress free week: no classes, quizzes, midterms, papers, labs, etc. To me they looked very loose on the ice.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Piggybacking off my post in the AUS thread...it will be interesting to see how much interest UNB will have in filling that last roster spot over Christmas. I am sure if a bonafide stud becomes available they would be all over it...or if they get hammered with some injuries the next few weekends...but I could see them just rolling with what they have for the rest of the year.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I do not expect any Xmas additions this year. Now that Gazzola is back no one is out with an injury.
Wouldn’t mind another big Dman but they might not want to risk upsetting team chemistry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad