UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 4)

Discussion in 'NCAA, U Sports, and other college' started by Drummer, Jun 20, 2016.

1. UNB Bruins Fan

UNB Bruins Fan Registered User

I thought I read somewhere (Gleaner maybe??) that it is a minor injury.

I also saw that Gazzola is out 4-6 weeks.

2. UNB Bruins Fan

McIvor is the new captain.

Simpson/Clapperton/Gazzola/Boudens as alternates.

3. UNB Bruins Fan

Noticed Watling wasn’t introduced last night...is he away from the team right now or something?

4. Prov1X

Prov1X Registered User

He was there last night, just not dressed.

5. UNB Bruins Fan

Interesting. I thought it was strange Gazzola and McEwan still came out for the introductions and not him.

6. Prov1X

Prov1X Registered User

I was late last night, so missed the intros, strange that he wasn't while others were. But know that he was in the stands for the game.

7. Rob

Rob Registered User

Home Page:
    On vacation right now so was unable to watch the Moncton game. Pretty wild finish with Simpson scoring with just 6 seconds on the clock.

So safe to say the team isn’t clicking right now. Not too worried as it is still very early. The games against Acadia and SMU will be the real test.

8. UNB Bruins Fan

They used some different line combinations last night than Friday so I think they’re still trying to figure out what works best. Getting lots of chances and shots, just not much puck luck right now. Power play still looks pretty ineffective...gotta get that going.

I know they play a high risk/high reward game but the defense needs to tighten up some...two of the Panthers goals were on a breakaway and two last night were off odd-man rushes.

Prov1X and Rob like this.
  9. cishockeyfan

cishockeyfan Registered User

Im really surprised so far of all the 1 goal or close games UNB has had this year including exibition.

One could argue skill wise this may be the deepest UNB has ever been from top to bottom which is saying something. I keep expecting them to break out and thump someone but they dont seem to be able to

10. UNB Bruins Fan

I made the point to someone at the Moncton game...it seems like the huge conditioning gap UNB used to have over teams in the pre-season isn’t really there anymore. I don’t think it is so much that they have dropped off, but that the other teams are becoming more prepared to begin the season.

Having said that, they have still been out-playing everyone so far but it just hasn’t been reflected on the scoreboard yet.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Drummer likes this.
  11. Drummer

Drummer Better Red than Dead

Network Design Engineer
    Home Page:
    I agree with BruinsFan on this. The other teams are catching up on conditioning side - UdeM was a lot faster then I expected them to be on Saturday. Even McGill didn't wilt and die away - they kept on coming. Maybe they don't feel as 'resigned to losing' as they have in the past.

The biggest difference for me, team defense is not as strong as it's been. Giving up the odd goal and letting a team 'hang around', or take the lead, makes for more work. Conditioning was the key to their comeback in Moncton - short hard shifts kept UdeM penned in and eventually led to the win. However, you can't keep doing that throughout the season and these are the games you're suppose to win easily.

That said - if that's the biggest problem they have - it's a nice problem to have because it's easy to fix.

12. Drummer

Network Design Engineer
    Home Page:
    I know the season has just started, but looking at the number of goal scores and multi-scores for each team is telling at this stage. Now, can winners maintain and losers change?

Team / Goal Scores / Multi-Goal Scorers / Team Goal Diff.
    SMU - 10 - 1 / +6
    UNB - 7 - 2 / +2
    DAL - 6 - 0 / -1
    UDM - 5 - 3 / +1
    PEI - 5 - 1 / -3
    SFX - 4 - 1 / -2
    ACD - 3 - 0 / -3

And think, for UNB, Goulet, Dove-McFalls, Clapperton, Rassell and Boucher have yet to score.

The PEI & UdeM rematches in 2 weeks will be telling.

13. Rob

Rob Registered User

Home Page:
    You’re right but I’m not too concerned. I’d be surprised if it doesn’t get better as the season progresses. Plus we will be getting Gazzola back in the second half.

14. dm8895

dm8895 Registered User

People really seem to be underestimating how much Gazzola brings to the tables.As far as I'm concerned , he is the last guy I would want UNB to have to play without for a long stretch.

Rob likes this.
  15. Rob

Rob Registered User

Home Page:
    Didn’t see the game but giving up 8 goals on just 24 shots meant it was a bad night for the goalies.

16. cishockeyfan

cishockeyfan Registered User

Where do I start the Petition, to make the sweet jerseys permanent. Having that Red Devils Logo on the front is how it should be. Keep the Ryerson Rams R and the Quebec Remparts Logo on the Shoulders
    Screenshot (4).jpg

17. RED ARMY EAST

RED ARMY EAST Registered User

Like it a lot!

18. Prov1X

Prov1X Registered User

Loved the jerseys, but looked odd with the socks, thinking that the socks needed one or two less colours.

19. UNB Bruins Fan

Exactly what I thought as well...socks are a little too “busy” but I understand wanting a similar black/white/red/white/black look to the stripes on the jersey.

On a side note, I hope they really start to up their merchandise game. It’s been pretty lackluster for as long as I remember IMO. I noticed in Moncton a couple weeks ago they had a decent amount of options with the Aigles Bleus logo on it...heck, even the junior A team in my hometown seems to have a better selection. All they had last night at the AUC were some weird coloured t-shirts (granted I just took a quick peek as I walked by the table on the concourse so maybe there was more). I would love a nice hoodie or hat with the Red Devils logo on it. I think they are really missing out by not having more options. Unless they sell other stuff at the bookstore?? But I am talking about hockey specific items and not just generic UNB or Reds stuff.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  20. Prov1X

Prov1X Registered User

I can't remember if they had hats last night or night, I remember seeing one last night with the red devil but thinking it was someone walking by me. Even if they had an online store or something.

21. VRedsRule

VRedsRule Registered User

I seem to recall it has to do with exclusive rights for Unb apparel but I may be mistaken. They have had challenges with exclusive food and beer contracts as well. Those jerseys would sell.

22. Prov1X

Prov1X Registered User

Who owns the rights to logo? I am 100% sure that I saw a gentleman walking around with a hat with the red devil logo. Hat didn't look old enough to be an original LOL.
    I am pretty sure that they used the logo for their jerseys in their summer camps.

23. UNB Bruins Fan

There were some Red Devils hats available to buy last year or the year before I believe.

24. Drummer

Network Design Engineer
    Home Page:
    Hats
    The '89 Red Devils logo hat was given to each player last season and some of spares have filtered out to the fans in-the-know.

As for merchandise - I believe the team/department have a contract with Subtowne at the AUC.

I would love an online store, but that's too progressive. The department has no resources to manage it and they don't like any idea/proposal/concept where they have to layout funds in advance for a payout later - they are risk adverse. Also, it's peanuts to them - they want to raise $5-$10K per idea - they don't see merchandise as a 'real' revenue stream.

I asked Dave Morrell about an online store - he was not a supporter of the idea. He felt that fans should have to attend the game to purchase something - a very 'old school' approach. His focus was bums-in-seats.

Versus
    Also - the Team and Department are at odds at times over their merchandise. There have been occasions in the past where the team starts to sell jerseys to fans to raise fund for themselves separate from the department's plans.

I am trying to coordinate the sale of the current Camo Jerseys as they are being replaced (same camo pattern, but with a new logo). Then I've hear rumors that this new 3rd jersey will be for sale. Nothing like flooding the market.

The current plan is to auction half the camo jerseys in late November (pre Christmas) and the remaining half the week prior to the game.

Jersey
    As for changes - I would remove the white from the socks and would even consider removing it from the arms.

25. dm8895

dm8895 Registered User

Very random question but when they get entirely new sets of Jersey's what happens to the old ones? Do the players get it or somewhere is their like decades of gamers stored away? I know every once in a blue moon I see an older jersey being auctioned but not often. All the merch talk kinda got me wondering