UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Yeah, I would be quite shocked to see them add anyone at this point.

Maybe if they are looking to next year and beyond and someone becomes available who will be more help then....but the guys available this time of year are usually top players and I can’t see them waiting until next year to get significant playing time.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
If there is another Chris Clapperton out there, Gardiner will be sure to sign him.

Otherwise I don't see any additions just because Gardiner has a spare player card. While he added Goulet last year, I believe he still had another player card he didn't use.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Somewhere out there is a Stud playing in the Coast and wanting to get away from the mall in Hicksville USA. Watch for this guy to be in a RedBlack uni in Jan.

Reactions: FreddtFoyle

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
2008-2018 at a Glance

Since the start of the 2007-08 season to the present Christmas break

UNB Hockey has in the 330 reg season games during this time frame

273 Wins 35 Loses 22 OT/L 1490 GF 710 GA

This is a 30 Game Regular Season average of

24.82 Wins 3.18 Loses 2.00 OT/L 135.45 GF 64.55 GA

Goals per game average of 4.52 and Goals against average of 2.15

Not Bad

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Lethbridge
Pronghorns come in riding a 2 game winning streak. They sit 6'th in Canadawest standings after the end of the first half and 2 pts behind 5'th place Mount Royal.
First year coach and former UNB alumni, Murry Nystrom seems to have the Horns pointing in the right direction, after their coach bolted for a pro offer, only weeks before the season was to begin.
Possible University Cup match up??
Yes, if UNB wins the AUS and only an if, but they would most likely match up with the 8'th seed, which will most likely be host Lethbridge Pronghorns.
A coach by the name of Mike Babcock guided Lethbridge to their only National Championship in the mid 90's.
The only CanadaWest school outside of the U of A to win since then.
Other than Alberta, only Lethbridge (90's), U of S (80's) and Manitoba in 63 have won a title.
Always nice to see a visit from a CanadaWest team.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Condolences to Drummer and his family. Eric's father Fred Drummie passed away in St. Andrews, NB.

Thanks guys - my Dad was battling the end stages of Alzheimer's which is a terriable desease. It was peaceful and a blessing.

He didn't play for UNB while at school, but did play for the Oxford Blues during grad school (Rhodes '57 & '58).

Thanks again, Eric

Due0a-0WwAUgsOX.jpg

Last edited:

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Jeremy Brodeur ?
Question, does Dubeau graduate this year?

I believe he has enough credits/courses to graduate - if he wants to.

I wouldn't put it past Gardiner to go after Brodeur, even if he can't play until after Christmas next season (with nationals in Halifax).

Jeremy Brodeur (Oct. 1996)
- Turned 21 in Oct. 2017 (the 2017-18 season)
- He could have played pro in the Fall of 2017 and entered USPORTS in January 2018 without penalty

Since he played pro after January 10th (2018), he was ineligible for the remainder of 2017-18 and all of 2018-19 season (40.10.6.2.1.7.3.2). If he signs on with another team and plays after Jan. 10th, 2019 - he has to sit out all of the 2019-20 season.

He is also subject to the '365' rule where he has to sit out for 365 days from his last pro game, which currently makes him eligible on December 16th, 2019 (provided he plays no more pro hockey).

[UNB vs ALB in Halifax for gold: Brodeur vs Burke]

ZAMMMMM517

Dec 30, 2018
Hi, looking for a good pic or view of helmet decal behind Maillets right ear..you can barely make it out.. I have been through hundreds of photos Instagram FB twitter etc...seems like most pics show the opposite side where AUS decal is. ive seen a few pics on other players but nothing clear enough to see...thank you for any help or info...

Attachments

• MAILLET UNB2.jpg
    MAILLET UNB2.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 50

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Thought Lethbridge looked pretty good at times last night...were probably a bit better than I was expecting, especially given the travel. I would say they looked better than Acadia has against UNB this year. They should give Moncton a good game today.

Seeing UNB give up that many shots/good chances was surprising given Lethbridge only averages 2.4 goals and 27 shots per game.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Thought Lethbridge looked pretty good at times last night...were probably a bit better than I was expecting, especially given the travel. I would say they looked better than Acadia has against UNB this year. They should give Moncton a good game today.

Seeing UNB give up that many shots/good chances was surprising given Lethbridge only averages 2.4 goals and 27 shots per game.
UNB, dictated the pace despite not looking sharp at times. That's what a long lay off can do.
If it wasn't for good goaltending, they probably hit double digits, that's reality.
For the U of L, a good chance to see how they stack up against a team that they may have to face come March.

ZAMMMMM517

Dec 30, 2018
heres another pic of the helmet logo too blurry to see but better idea of location. let me know if anyone knows ty

Attachments

• unb right ear logo.jpg
    unb right ear logo.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 34

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I see Lethbridge beat Moncton 3-2. I’m sure they’re happy with the split in NB.

With regards to UNB in the second half their toughest game may be the first one against SMU on Friday night. The VReds will definitely be looking for some redemption after back to back overtime losses against the Huskies on home ice. Winner of this game also takes the series.

ZAMMMMM517

Dec 30, 2018
One more try, this is the best one I found so far...Maybe someone can help now...looks like big 5 with a c after it... tried everything no luck...
logo right ear  5c.jpg

ZAMMMMM517

Dec 30, 2018
thank you sir, making a replica UNB helmet of Philippe Maillet (my daughters favorite player.)..and that the last piece I need to finish it, ty for reaching out for me. probably something like the motto, because ive only seen it on a few photos.. it will be a nice finishing touch if I can get a good view of it I can get it made. thanks again

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
With regards to UNB in the second half their toughest game may be the first one against SMU on Friday night.

Agree. These are their last regular season games vs SMU & Acadia and potentially for the year depending on how the playoffs roll. 6 of 7 are on the road after this weekend. Baring injuries and a hot goalie - they should run the board after this weekend.

They have a 10 pt lead over SMU and 13 pts over SFX and PEI (PEI has a game in hand which might get them into 3rd once the dust settles). So, baring 7 losses in the 2nd half - which hasn't happened since '03 (6-8-1) they should finish 1st.

Magic Numbers
The 'Magic Number' to make the playoffs is 1 - a DAL loss or OTL vs UNB win or OTL.
The 'Magic Number' to finish a head of SMU (and probably 1st) is 7 - a combination of 7 UNB wins or SMU losses (there are 24pts left on the board and UNB has a 10pt lead leaving 14 pts - each win reduces the 14pt gap. If UNB and SMU started with 7 straight wins, UNB would still have a 10pt lead with 5 games left). The head-2-head game on Friday counts as 2 and a UNB win should solidify 1st place.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Was that a hit to the head on Dove-McFalls?
I've watched the video of it and I honestly can't tell 100% that he gets the head first. I was at the game and down at that end, I was convinced at the time that it was. From the view from the camera from austv.ca, the hit doesn't look nearly as bad as it looked live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad