News Article: Uh oh it’s Boro

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Borowiecki is not hard to play against. Other team are gifted a free shift in our defensive zone when he’s on the ice. Borowiecki is definitely a dirty player, always throwing his knee out when he makes hits.
He definitely engages his knees quite a bit when delivering an out of position overly aggressive hit.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't always agree with Simmer, but he was bang on when he said that it's all about the injuries now. If you injure a guy with a big hit that results in a concussion, you're getting suspended. It doesn't matter if you used the shoulder, didn't charge, made sure the guy had the puck, etc. - if buddy has his head down and you catch him with a big hit, you're sitting. Why? Lawsuits - the league is petrified of concussion litigation, and will do whatever it takes to demonstrate that they are on top of it. It sucks, but that's how it is now...

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Steve isn't the brightest bulb. Talk about a terrible take.
No longer are we to complain about the vagaries and questionable decisions put forth by the officiating in the NHL because as Mr. Warne has rightly pointed out to us through the great Twitter machine that there are other much more horrible injustices present in the world.
Everyone must immediately cease participating in this forum and subsequently dedicate their collective free time to discussing what viable solutions may exist to end world hunger, protect human rights and save the environment. Otherwise we simply are not as ethically pure as the angelic Mr. Warne and will most assuredly risk the sting of his rapier wit or the crippling ferocity of his churlish scorn. For shame lowly commoners. For shame.

Okay I’ve been into the rum...

Reactions: Brethers

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I feel like they just pick and choose which parts of the rule they want to apply. They talk about poor angle of approach and that the main point of contact was the head, but ignore the part of the rule about the players placing themselves in a vulnerable position where the hit would otherwise be legal if not for head contact.

I also feel like the body contact was as significant as the head contact; the body spins in conjunction with the head from the force of him going through the body, just a fraction of a second later because the head was the initial point of contact.

If they want head contact to be illegal, that's fine. I just don't by the poor angle of approach bit here; Boro is placing his hit so that he's in the path of the player to make sure it stops him. His left leg ends up between Eakin's legs on the hit, this isn't a glancing blow, he got full body contact.

It is what it is, if they want this to be illegal, that's fine, but they should probably just throw out the bit about players placing themselves in vulnerable positions, and flip from main point of contact to substantial point of contact.

Reactions: philb613

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
If the NHL was serious about head injuries they'd force a switch to very soft pads on the outside of elbow, shoulder and knee protection and of the helmets too. There has to be someone who can design an inner or middle shell that protects both the wearer and those who might come in contact with the exterior of the helmet or pad. Also some guys look like they are wearing body armor under their jerseys.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
The fact Boro is crouching with his hit should show it was as clean as it could get.
Yes! Glad someone finally mentioned this. At contact, Boro is bent forward at the waist and has a deep bend in his knees. He's the equivalent height of a 5-foot-nuthin' smurf. How that guy managed to get hit in the head (if there even was head contact -- It's not obvioius) is beyond me. Was he bending over to
retie his skate?

Last edited:
Reactions: Stylizer1

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
If the NHL was serious about head injuries they'd force a switch to very soft pads on the outside of elbow, shoulder and knee protection and of the helmets too. There has to be someone who can design an inner or middle shell that protects both the wearer and those who might come in contact with the exterior of the helmet or pad. Also some guys look like they are wearing body armor under their jerseys.
There is some research that suggests padding on the outside of helmets is more effective than having it just on the inside.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
You were expecting Boro to foresee the punch and pre-emptively take the puncher out of the game?
No but I was expecting based on what some of his supporters say, that he should've "policed" the ice to prevent such scrums from even taking place. He should've known that they were targeting Formenton after he threw the hit on the Flyers player.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Borowiecki is not hard to play against. Other team are gifted a free shift in our defensive zone when he’s on the ice. Borowiecki is definitely a dirty player, always throwing his knee out when he makes hits.

Ya it's like when you played hockey as a kid. When the opposing team sends their pylon on you just knew you were at least going to get a scoring chance because chances are you're going to walk him at some point.

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa
Ya it's like when you played hockey as a kid. When the opposing team sends their pylon on you just knew you were at least going to get a scoring chance because chances are you're going to walk him at some point.

Just a question for you guys, if you knew a guy on the other team was known for throwing big ice open hits, would you be more aware when he was on the ice?

That alone is a reason that he is not "easy" to play against, one look down at the puck in your feet and you might be sitting out the rest of the game (Eakin). Well at least that used to be how hockey worked who knows anymore.

Sensfan5

Apr 20, 2013
Ottawa
I'm quite sure that everyone would like to have competent hockey players on the ice but the definition of competent will be arguable on here. Was Anderson competent last yr? Is Wideman or Paajarvi competent? There are a number of players on this roster that it could be argued that are not competent besides Boro. Every team has about 25 players they dress over the course of a yr & are all 25 competent for every team? Probably not, depending on your definition & if you check Ottawa's injury list you will see numerous injured players so they are beyond their 25 players & working on about 30 players this yr, if not more, playing at one point or another. Once we get into the minor league players are those players competent? Is Carey competent? What about Dunmont & DiDo last yr? Did you enjoy watching those competent players last yr?

People may hate on Boro but the guy works hard on every shift doing the best he can, trying to prevent goals against & help his goalie. He's a 3rd pairing stay at home D asked by his coach to break plays up before they get into his D zone, he is doing the best he can to play a system the coach wants him to play. He made the NHL with his big hits & willingness to fight anyone, he's not a poke checker, he's a hitter. He doesn't angle guys off the puck, he separates them from the puck, that's his game, that's what got him here, that's what has made him a millionaire, that's what management has said they love about his game, regardless that he plays on the line. His teammates seem to love him, the coach seems to like him since he plays him so much & management & some fans also like him being from this area. He's an honest player & a good guy & while some may not think he is competent, the fact that he has made it to the NHL the best league in the world that only employs around 1,000 players & he has become a millionaire playing the game for several yrs tells me he might be a lot more competent than the majority of hockey players in the world.

I can also work hard and do the best I can if I suited up for a couple shifts in the show. Doesn’t mean I’d be good or a fit.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I can also work hard and do the best I can if I suited up for a couple shifts in the show. Doesn’t mean I’d be good or a fit.
No, you would not, you would never get that opportunity, you would have to have proven you deserved it & my guess is that most on here would not last a shift. Boro was drafted & developed by the Ottawa Senators, a professional NHL franchise who have experts scouting the best hockey players in the world & draft the best player available based on their scouting research. Boro has played for several yrs in Ottawa & in the NHL & has yet to be usurped by a younger defender. Like it or not, he has worked his whole life to be in this position & would skate circles around 99% of beer league players anywhere in the world. He is in the NHL for a reason, he's not the best NHL player but he's also not the worse & certainly better than most not in the NHL.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sensfan5

Apr 20, 2013
Ottawa
No, you would not, you would never get that opportunity, you would have to have proven you deserved it & my guess is that most on here would not last a shift. Boro was drafted & developed by the Ottawa Senators, a professional NHL franchise who have experts scouting the best hockey players in the world & draft the best player available based on their scouting research. Boro has played for several yrs in Ottawa & in the NHL & has yet to be usurped by a younger defender. Like it or not, he has worked his whole life to be in this position & would skate circles around 99% of beer league players anywhere in the world. He is in the NHL for a reason, he's not the best NHL player but he's also not the worse & certainly better than most not in the NHL.

Boro is among the worst players in the nhl. Other than hit and work hard, he can’t do anything at the nhl level. Poor skating, poor IQ, can’t get the puck out of his own zone, and he is really poor defensively. Makes many mistakes that lead to goals against.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It's not like that at all, this is the NHL, even the enforcers of old can really skate in comparison to beer league players or the kids that played on the neighbourhood pond & some kids couldn't skate very well. Chris Neil was a very fast skater & skilled when he played in junior & during his NHL career, he threw a lot of big hits, had plenty of fights & was never suspended although today I think he would be.

We've seen elite players in the NHL get walked as often as we have seen others, I can't remember how often I commented on here about EK getting beat & walked in games. And it's not just him either but I bet every player in the NHL at one time or another has gotten walked, that's just another part of the game that is inevitable the longer you play. Especially for defencemen whose job it is to stop those plays, eventually everyone gets beat. Just like that weak short handed goal Condon let in that has resulted in him being placed on waivers, every goalie has let in a weak goal, Anderson let in enough last yr, it happens to everyone eventually & to some more often. EK got walked a lot in his time in Ottawa & it continues in SJ, he's clearly better offensively than defensively & so it will happen & does happen.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Boro is among the worst players in the nhl. Other than hit and work hard, he can’t do anything at the nhl level. Poor skating, poor IQ, can’t get the puck out of his own zone, and he is really poor defensively. Makes many mistakes that lead to goals against.
That's your opinion & if your opinion was true he would be out of the league by now or should never have made it into the league. The fact that Boro has been in the league for over 5 yrs & outlasted numerous other defencemen like Cowen & Wiercioch & others has to account for something & clearly rebuts your statement. If there was someone to take his job that guy hasn't come along just yet although my own opinion is that he may not be re-signed after this contract given his age & injury history.

He is not nearly as bad as some make out, but he clearly has something that this coach, his teammates & organization like about him & that keeps him in the lineup. Most of the PMD people would prefer to see in the lineup over Boro suck defensively or are defensive liabilities & it takes a lot more than skating fast to play in the NHL We've seen lots of good players make mistakes that lead to goals, EK constantly comes to mind & he continues to get walked in SJ & he didn't prevent or reduce goals against. Every team has bottom pairing & 4th line players that some fans rag on & that teammates & coaches & other fans love, Boro seems to be one of them.

Reactions: Cosmix

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

And they'd ban fighting.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Weak argument.

You're hating on Boro because he didn't predict the future and anticipate Formenton getting sucker punched while he was probably sitting on the bench. My "argument" is Boro being one of maybe 3 guys who step up for their teammates. I guess he was nowhere to be found in that instance, which isn't surprising as post whistle scrums and jabs to the face happen in practically every NHL game, and that punch didn't seem like a big deal...Which apparently George Parros felt the same way as there wasn't even a fine for the play.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
You're hating on Boro because he didn't predict the future and anticipate Formenton getting sucker punched while he was probably sitting on the bench. My "argument" is Boro being one of maybe 3 guys who step up for their teammates. I guess he was nowhere to be found in that instance, which isn't surprising as post whistle scrums and jabs to the face happen in practically every NHL game, and that punch didn't seem like a big deal...Which apparently George Parros felt the same way as there wasn't even a fine for the play.
Boro was actually at the blue line watching everything. He jumped in to 'protect' Ryan when Formenton, who was targeted after he hit a Flyers player, was getting rough housed. Isn't his role (and correct me if I am wrong here) to police the ice? I think he said so himself in an interview. Why would Ryan, who could probably hold his own be the primary person to protect here when Formenton, a rookie is being targeted?

Boro's hit didn't seem like a big deal either did it? Did you agree with that clean hit resulting in supplementary discipline?

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
It was a clear hit. Eakin's head only got contact because of how his body was being moved forcibly away from Boro, causing his head to be pulled down - due to the fact that his head is connected to his torso by the *relavtely* flimsy spinal column - into Boro's shoulder. Basically, til a helium filled balloon to a string on the floor, and then quickly push in the middle of the strong when the balloon has fully stretched the string. The balloon will be pulled down because the string holding it to the floor has had its vertical length artificially shortened by part of it being pushed horizontally and the string's length being a fixed value.

Why did I explain all that when I'm sure everyone who will read this is smart enough to know it already? Because the DoPS in the NHL should be smart enough to figure that out too. Why aren't they?

Don't get me wrong, I hold no illusions that Boro is some perfect little angel who never throws a questionable hit. He definitely does. But that hit on Eakin wasn't one of them. It was a clean hit with an unfortunate outcome. He wasn't even coming in that fast, since he got picked, which is supposed to be an interference call by the way, a second or so before making contact.

Now, if someone gave him the penalty and suspension for charging based on leaving his feet with the hit... maybe? I could swallow the suspension if THAT was the explanation. From the angels of the replays I've seen, he looks like he might have jumped into the hit at the last moment. But he definitely didn't make the head the primary target. Shoulder through chest, all the way.

Then again, I'm frankly not surprised that it went this way for the Sens. Crosby hacked off part of Mathot's finger and got nothing. Cooke stomped Karlsson's ankle (no, that's not a natural hitting motion to turn your foot like that and push it down ahead of you, most benefit of the doubt I'd give Cooke is that he was *just* trying to slewfoot EK after the hit) and got nothing, Subban broke Stone's wrist with a slash and didn't get a suspension (sure, he got kicked out of that game, but missing PART of a game isn't equivalent to breaking a bone of your opponent), so its expected that we get shafted by DoPS. Especially when its Boro throwing a hit, because he'll never get the benefit of the doubt for that sort of thing.

But still, this wasn't the thing that Boro should have gotten a suspension for. Weak call and weak decision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad