Post-Game Talk: Ugliest win in years

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I was so pissed when I saw Kassian not seal off the boards ensuring that he got that puck from Matthews. We're lucky that half assed play didn't cost us the game or a much needed point.

That play would have got Puljujarvi sent to the shadow realm. Soft, soft play by a guy that hasn't brought much of anything to the table this season.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
This isn't true in this situation. The season is 10% over and our team has played like dog shit. In pretty much every game including the wins. With minimal improvement in those 5 games. Anyone... especially a coach, should be incredibly concerned about that.

It doesn't take a mathematician to see that as it is the Oilers are going to have a brutal season/record moving forward based off their projected play.

You are definitely not wrong. They have been disappointing. Hopefully they start to get rolling and play better but you can tell in interviews that Tippett is not pleased whatsoever.

I've stated this before in the past and someone on 1260 mentioned it yesterday too but they're playing without trust in one in another. When you play without trust in your linemates you play slower and more tentative because you have no idea if they will be there to support you or not (both offensively and defensively). This is plain as day to see. The DRY line had great trust and chemistry with one another and thus they played hard and aggressive and knew where each other would be and were a good connected 5 man unit with the dmen.

It's harder to play with Connor because he's more of a roamer who flies more by the seat of his pants. It makes him more dangerous at times, individually, offensively (to sneak by you or gain speed on a individual rush) but it also makes him unpredictable/unreliable to his teammates both offensively and defensively (support, short passes, d-responsibility etc). He may need to change up or add to his game, adapt a bit to be more accommodating to help make his line be better and more reliable overall. As I said, you don't win hard fought playoff games with spectacular rushes, cheating and roaming style of play. Need to get into a bit more of a habit of playing more reliable defensively and offensively and learn to CONSISTENTLY grind, work, backcheck hard and win battles all over the ice.

Reactions: Aerchon

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I was so pissed when I saw Kassian not seal off the boards ensuring that he got that puck from Matthews. We're lucky that half assed play didn't cost us the game or a much needed point.

It's easy to blame Kassian there, but those kind of mistakes happen when you put guys in situations they aren't used to.

Kassian actually made a nice play to come off the right boards to pick up Matthews. That's McDavid's man and you can see him gliding back into the zone as Kassian f***s up in the corner.

McDavid would be so much more dominant if he at least tried to play some defense.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I also noticed that smirk on McDavid's face and thought it was telling.

As well as the shot of the boys surrounding Drai after his goal. JP is obviously all smiles and Barrie and Nuge started laughing as well. But the look on Drai's face spoke volumes.

Like ,"What the f*** are you boys smiling at, let's get our shit together cause it's all.over the place".

Which is exactly what you want to see out of your leaders.

I saw that too. Lots of smiles - mostly out of relief I think - but Leon isn't here to win more scoring titles or celebrate random goals. Guy wants a Cup and is obviously pissed with the start to the season.

Reactions: GOilers88

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Maybe it is an ugly win, but at the same time we have been horrid defensively this year and kept a team that was scoring 3.5 GPG to only 1. They literally have scored 3 goals in every game with 1 5 goal game.

If anyone would've said in the GDT that we'd hold the Leafs to 1 goal with our defensive play this year I'm pretty sure they would've got heckled.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Maybe under McLellan. I think Tippett has treated Puljujarvi pretty fairly though, so not sure why that comment is necessary.

It's necessary because Kassian has been a complete non factor and thus far there hasn't been anything resembling a consequence for it.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Maybe it is an ugly win, but at the same time we have been horrid defensively this year and kept a team that was scoring 3.5 GPG to only 1. They literally have scored 3 goals in every game with 1 5 goal game.

If anyone would've said in the GDT that we'd hold the Leafs to 1 goal with our defensive play this year I'm pretty sure they would've got heckled.
That's true. Although they did have a few great chances too that Koskinen absolutely robbed them on as well.

Reactions: joestevens29

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
It's easy to blame Kassian there, but those kind of mistakes happen when you put guys in situations they aren't used to.

Kassian actually made a nice play to come off the right boards to pick up Matthews. That's McDavid's man and you can see him gliding back into the zone as Kassian f***s up in the corner.

McDavid would be so much more dominant if he at least tried to play some defense.

Yup, 1-0 game. Can't remember the context of why he was out at center ice floating back but when you're up 1-0 in the third and Matthews and Marner are on the ice you better try to make sure you're the one back there to defend Matthews as the center and not let someone as unreliable defensively and poor on board battles as Kass to take him. There should have been at least some urgency to get back to hopefully switch off with Kass.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The Oilers are a shitty team this season and were shitty for about 2/3 of the game so I can understand why Leafs fans would be sore about their team dropping to the shitty level of the Oilers.
The 3rd period was probably the first time the Oilers played like anything resembling an NHL team since the 2nd Vancouver game.

On another note, and I don't know if it's been mentioned, I really liked the compete of Nygard, Kahun and Shore tonight. They were the only 3 forwards, in addition to Yamamoto, who were engaged in this game.

tbh I think something has happened to your appreciation of the game. The bolded is pretty down on the club, and its not typical of you as a poster. You just watched a tight coverage game where players were having to work through the checking. It was tight last night and neither team were gettign a lot. This is the closest the Oilers have had to a competitive lineup in awhile. The additions of Barrie, Kahun, Turris all help us. These being better players than the usual discards we tend to pick up in the offseason. Shore is another solid add and will quietly win fans. You've noticed him already. The D of this club is not nearly as bad as they looked earlier. They've looked better in past couple games because the team is now buying back into checking and 5 man units. I'm a purist, I love close checking hockey so its easier for me to appreciate when the coverage is better. Even on the one GA we had the box out, that was a completely harmless play, Koski created a goal out of it with a pretty amateur goal post seal.

I did mention the positive contributions of the bolded players. Another positive, and this is maybe cynical, but we're seeing enough bottomsix performances to keep Khaira out of the lineup. Jesse also playing well. Lots of plusses this season even if results have not been there. We need guys like Kass, Nuge to wake up and play bigger roles but we know they are capable.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

The problem is that he did earlier in his career to a degree. Now it's all about the highlight reel play and points it seems.

Reactions: HK97

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Our 4th line with Chaisson actually looked ok. DP should keep that line intact.

This was Chiassons best game this season. Very involved and doing the right things without the puck. Was decent pressuring all over the ice and was battling. We need this game from him more often. Another positive is guys like him and Khaira having to legitimately worry about not having jobs or icetime. Don't bring your best and you will be sitting.

Reactions: MessierII

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Man watching a few of the highlights, boy did Marner have a tough game.

He got punished along the boards and was hit a few times rather hard (including by our resident baby giraffe).

He also got nearly decapitated by Nurse early on.

Guy's probably gonna spend the entire day in an ice bath.

I loved the play, and Nurse has now had several of these so far in the season. Playing with an edge, and if you're going to take a penalty anyway, and that was a really good one to take, you may as well make it worth your while. Don't half ass it if you're getting 2 anyway. Conversely on another open ice hit Nurse let up instead of destroying the guy in a tight 1-0 game because he didn't want to take the penalty there. Good thinking on Nurse part. But he sure is showing some truculence. Opponents are going to have to realize when Nurse is out on the ice.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Koski earning himself any leeway with HFOil?

I think he's a pretty damn serviceable starter who just needs the franchise to find him someone reliable to share the load. He might not be what we had hoped for but I do believe we can win with him.

Hes better when there is boxing out and contain and the Oilers were doing a better job of it. But the one goal he let in was really bad. Harmless play, and that was a putrid goal post seal. No excuse for it either as he had time to set, it wasn't a quick play, that was his "good enough" goalie seal. Koski is lazy in form sometimes. He gets more that way, and less focused and sharp when he's seeing too many games.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The problem is that he did earlier in his career to a degree. Now it's all about the highlight reel play and points it seems.

McD really not earning his pay now. Really didn't get anything done in the game, gets an assist on an empty net goal, he shouldn't even be out there in that situation. He was also struggling on the dot. At one point faceoffs were 10-2 with Matthews owning him.

A bad look for McD is he's just trying to use his rote scoring rushes time and again and he's getting frustrated under tight checking that he can't do it. I see a difference between Drai trying to persevere through such a game and getting some results vs McD getting angry and packing his game at times. There are periods where McD is doing very little effectively, and that can't happen on his loaded line, or at his pay scale. Conversely Drai bags a goal and was also instrumental bumping/pressuring in front on the Yama goal.

The trouble is McD doesn't really adapt that much. We'll see, but he'll have to in this tight checking season. He got untracked in the one Vancouver game, other than that much of his speed stuff has been shut down, boxed out. He needs to start using other skills, play a simpler game, not always go for the beauty goal. The oilers have to start thinking about traffic on net, get some chaos plays going there and use their skill to control puck in offensive end.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
facebook oilers is the lowest tier of hockey discussion there is.
its so bad I don't even have the words to describe it.

if you want good hockey discussion, go to Edmonton Oilers subreddit, if you want to rant and shitpost go to Oilers twitter, if you want a combination go to HFOil, and if you want 50 feet of crap go to facebook Oilers
I’m just blown away. It’s pretty negative after a loss, but instead of insightful discussion it’s just 100 people piling on the complainer saying they aren’t a true fan.

then after a win, the complaint posts die off a bit, and then there’s twice as many posts as there ever were of complaints from people complaining that people aren’t complaining anymore.

it’s insanity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad