Post-Game Talk: Ugliest win in years

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
In all fairness I was scared when he shot as I wasn't sure if he crossed the red line. Then when he made that goal, I was like man the guy has an accurate shot

Archie is the king of impressive ENers. He bagged that nice one on the PK against St. Louis last January and had a crazy one as a Coyote IIRC. Should tell you something that he's entrusted with protecting the lead so often.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
To me they look like a team with a lot of new faces that hasn't played in five months. I don't see any particular reason why they won't improve. Now I agree with a short season there's not a lot of runway, but I'm not gonna flip out until they've played a few more games.

Patience is a virtue and can have good results.

There is no point in freaking out. It's not like Tippett comes on here reads and weights the posts prior to making decisions but...

The team has been beyond visibly bad. They are putrid so far. One my buddies mom was watching the games with his dad and when talking to him asked "what's going with the Oilers, they look terrible".

Kinda summed up the season to date. Even someone who doesn't watch hockey can see the amature breakdowns and can tell something is wrong.

More so than just rust and unfortunately similar to the play ins. Which brings the Oilers to 10? games where they look like dog shit with no real adjustments in sight.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Did you watch the game? The 3rd period perhaps? End of the game, shots were almost evenly distributed and the Leafs didn't have over 3 top scoring opportunities in the third period. So what did you watch?

Our offensive output 5 on 5. I'm glad we defended better. But a goal went in off someone's foot, Drai gets a PPG, and Archie gets an ENG.

Reactions: Aerchon

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
The coach absolutely needs to adjust the forward lines. They generated very little at even strength and Kassian was a black hole of suck all game.

Kassian should have taken a seat for a shift after the Leafs goal but next shift he was better. Im actually hoping someone smokes him so he can go Blitzkrieg

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I joined a Facebook oilers fans group thinking that some of the toxicity/trolling of some of the forums I’ve visited in the past was due to the anonymity the usernames provided, and having actual personal profiles linked to the comments would lead to some more reasonable discussions.

I have never been so wrong. I took you for granted hfoil. Never change.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Should read the Leafs post game thread. Lots of talk about how Edmonton did a good job at clogging up the middle and that we were more focused on defense.

And then there is a lot of complaining about very similar things to here.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
To my mind, saying the team is playing poorly when the team is playing poorly isnt toxicity - it’s just truth.

There were a lot of people concerned with the Kassian deal, and I’m struggling to remember a single good game hes played since he got it.

Similarly, many of us thought goaltending would be an issue - banking on a 39 year old is problematic - and it remains an issue, but Koskinen has been fine.

A win’s a win, and winning ugly is better than losing pretty, but we need to figure shit out here.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I like this play. Our D needs to be harder around the net. How many times did you see Marner drive the net after that. If Nurse is to be a better shutdown guy he needs to give more skill guys the “treatment”. I hope Kassian and Khaira watch and learn.

I can understand that, but like, don’t take a penalty...

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I think it was @CupofOil that called it.

The Leafs expected a good game at home, but instead they found themselves in the Suck Vortex and the Oilers have home advantage there.
Yup, And the easy way out is to blame the refs. Because the last power-play we had was not a great call, a lot of Mapleleaf fans think that is the reason they lost. Even though Edmonton struggled to shoot more than 10 shots through two periods, the leafs had their chances to beat us. They had a terrible game and we were slightly better

Emotive

Oct 6, 2017
A win is a win and I'll take it but unfortunately this means Tippett won't change the lines and we probably get dominated next game (hope I'm wrong). The top 6 still needs to be rearranged in a bad way.
I really wish we knew what was going on with Neal. Put him on Connors wing with Kahun and drop RNH back to draisiatl's line and Kassian can spend some much needed time in the bottom 6 somewhere. He has been ineffective at best, the look on Connors face last night when he missed that wide open net says it all.

Reactions: ujju2 and GOilers88

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I joined a Facebook oilers fans group thinking that some of the toxicity/trolling of some of the forums I’ve visited in the past was due to the anonymity the usernames provided, and having actual personal profiles linked to the comments would lead to some more reasonable discussions.

facebook oilers is the lowest tier of hockey discussion there is.
its so bad I don't even have the words to describe it.

if you want good hockey discussion, go to Edmonton Oilers subreddit, if you want to rant and shitpost go to Oilers twitter, if you want a combination go to HFOil, and if you want 50 feet of crap go to facebook Oilers

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
facebook oilers is the lowest tier of hockey discussion there is.
its so bad I don't even have the words to describe it.

if you want good hockey discussion, go to Edmonton Oilers subreddit, if you want to rant and shitpost go to Oilers twitter, if you want a combination go to HFOil, and if you want 50 feet of crap go to facebook Oilers
Facebook anything is just awful.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
To my mind, saying the team is playing poorly when the team is playing poorly isnt toxicity - it’s just truth.

There were a lot of people concerned with the Kassian deal, and I’m struggling to remember a single good game hes played since he got it.

Similarly, many of us thought goaltending would be an issue - banking on a 39 year old is problematic - and it remains an issue, but Koskinen has been fine.

A win’s a win, and winning ugly is better than losing pretty, but we need to figure shit out here.

Exactly. The win was ugly and indicative of our level of play for 4/5 games this season. That said, the win definitely should give us a positive feeling, because being 1-4 would have been terrible. Now we just need to get our new players rolling so that the rest of the team can start to find their groove.

Reactions: TB12

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I don't like this play. Nurse makes a terrible play on the boards and then sells out for a penalty because he got beat like a rented mule.
Marner is an elite forward he's going to make plays and force mistakes. It was good for Nurse to be hard on him, if you're going to get beat make them pay a price. Other teams have good players and hockey is a game of mistakes, it's about mitigating the impact, and the Oilers last night didn't give up the big ones and thats why they won.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Patience is a virtue and can have good results.

There is no point in freaking out. It's not like Tippett comes on here reads and weights the posts prior to making decisions but...

The team has been beyond visibly bad. They are putrid so far. One my buddies mom was watching the games with his dad and when talking to him asked "what's going with the Oilers, they look terrible".

Kinda summed up the season to date. Even someone who doesn't watch hockey can see the amature breakdowns and can tell something is wrong.

More so than just rust and unfortunately similar to the play ins. Which brings the Oilers to 10? games where they look like dog shit with no real adjustments in sight.
There was adjustments last night... why do you think they played so defensive?

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
A win is a win and I'll take it but unfortunately this means Tippett won't change the lines and we probably get dominated next game (hope I'm wrong). The top 6 still needs to be rearranged in a bad way.
I really wish we knew what was going on with Neal. Put him on Connors wing with Kahun and drop RNH back to draisiatl's line and Kassian can spend some much needed time in the bottom 6 somewhere. He has been ineffective at best, the look on Connors face last night when he missed that wide open net says it all.
I also noticed that smirk on McDavid's face and thought it was telling.

As well as the shot of the boys surrounding Drai after his goal. JP is obviously all smiles and Barrie and Nuge started laughing as well. But the look on Drai's face spoke volumes.

Like ,"What the f*** are you boys smiling at, let's get our shit together cause it's all.over the place".

Which is exactly what you want to see out of your leaders.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

Oilers Facebook groups tend to be far more toxic than HFBoards. People are equally as negative in their outlook, but also far dumber than the average HFOil poster. Of course there's some good folks on fb too, but overall it's worse than HFOil.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad