Post-Game Talk: Ugliest win in years

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I'm surprised people who watched that game last night could call it a strong defensive game by the Oilers. Giveaways, failures to clear the zone, missed assignments, poor gap control were in abundance in the Oilers D zone. The D zone was a gong show again imo. The Oilers O zone was pathetic again too. However...

The only thing that I would say where an argument could be made was a successful game in the neutral zone. If people who watched that game are looking for positives I suppose you can say they did a good job there.
Complain all you want but they held the leafs to 1 goal.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Connor's overall game and adaptation has been a bit disappointing. I find that Drai has started to really develop into an overall more solid player since he and Connor had been separated. He's starting to get into better habits and doing the right things more often. Connor is still trying to be more of a human highlight reel than playing a strong and solid game more conducive of consistently winning in tough tight high intensity games.

What are you talking about? McDavid has done nothing but adapt himself as the league is desperate to adapt to him. His speed is his weapon and McDavid has learned to do so many shifts and change ups with his speed, the players trying to defend against him have no idea as try to block a shot or to try to prevent a pass.

And McDavid even identified his face off game as being weak, so he spent the break focusing and studying it to get better at winning draws, and his improved face off numbers speak for themselves.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I'm surprised people who watched that game last night could call it a strong defensive game by the Oilers. Giveaways, failures to clear the zone, missed assignments, poor gap control were in abundance in the Oilers D zone. The D zone was a gong show again imo. The Oilers O zone was pathetic again too. However...

The only thing that I would say where an argument could be made was a successful game in the neutral zone. If people who watched that game are looking for positives I suppose you can say they did a good job there.

For the most part, they played a more grindy game and it did make for a bit more heavy lifting for the Leafs players but at the same time the Oil did get caught running around or deer in headlights a bit in the Dzone at times. As I said in another post, part of it is trust. At times they just werent in synch and trusting one another in the D zone thus you saw 5 of them just standing around, collapsing to the middle and not pressuring the Leaf's puck carrier.... basically reverted to "safe mode".

And in the O-zone, it can be hard to get an effective forecheck also when you aren't in synch with the other 4 players on the ice and have that trust and chemistry. People start moving to wrong spots on the ice, making bad reads, move just a bit more tentatively and with less assertiveness and confidence as a collective. All it can take is one of the five players not doing his job, slacking off or being in the right spot to derail things and get the other 4 to be less confident in what they want to do and where they need to go.

Reactions: Aerchon

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
@NoSavesFromKosko & Drivesaitl I saw a ton of errors and missed assignments. Toronto did not bring their A game for whatever reason. I didn't see a good defensive coverage hard checking game. Just two teams that were pretending to be good defensively while sucking offensively. Every pundit/coach/player that watched that game had to put lipstick on that pig of a game with verbal diarrhea like it was "a solid defensive effort".

As for McDavid. I stopped counting at six... 6! Give aways with little pressure. Bad passes to no one. Trying to force passes through traffic...

Imo McDavid was brutal last night and so far as much bad as good. He has made a lot of passes this year already to locations where nobody is really even close. He has been cherry picking and flying the zone a lot again this year as well. I understand it's part of the game but it always reminds me of Iginla. A guy who left his teammates to defend the d zone down a man as he was always up high looking for the breakaway.

Edit: The only adjustment that Tippett made so far that I have noticed was Nurse and Puljujärvi on the PP. I hope he continues that.

The first line was bad, I consistently stated that, and they all need to pull their head out of their ass. But we know they can play when they decide to and they need to get chirped, frankly, to that effect. McD is the first to call out others performances, and for a rare moment he could look at himself and his linemates to be better.

The other 3 lines were fine and the best 3 line performance I have seen from the Oilers since February, as i stated.

So we really don't disagree on much.

Reactions: Aerchon

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
For the most part, they played a more grindy game and it did make for a bit more heavy lifting for the Leafs players but at the same time the Oil did get caught running around or deer in headlights a bit in the Dzone at times. As I said in another post, part of it is trust. At times they just werent in synch and trusting one another in the D zone thus you saw 5 of them just standing around, collapsing to the middle and not pressuring the Leaf's puck carrier.... basically reverted to "safe mode".

And in the O-zone, it can be hard to get an effective forecheck also when you aren't in synch with the other 4 players on the ice and have that trust and chemistry. People start moving to wrong spots on the ice, making bad reads, move just a bit more tentatively and with less assertiveness and confidence as a collective. All it can take is one of the five players not doing his job, slacking off or being in the right spot to derail things and get the other 4 to be less confident in what they want to do and where they need to go.

The ONLY time toronto extended us in our zone was our topline. They need to be better. There isn't a comment by anybody that that line or anybody on it was being good enough. Every other line worked hard, and get my credit.

Reactions: yukoner88

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Connor has struggled a bit early on this year. It seems more and more that he can only get his game going when he's flying around with a bit of time and space. Teams are starting to figuring out how to mitigate this. He needs to add a bit more grind and hard work/battling, stop and starts in his game to expand his effectiveness to be more consistent game in game out as far as tilting the ice and controlling the game when he's on the ice. It's hard for a player with his skills to change because he's like a lightning fast wild roaming horse that can be hard to tame. But more control and steadiness/reliability would help the team overall. It's not the high flying 80s hockey anymore.

This is a reasonable comment, and I think Connor does have to look at other ways he has success. This falls on all star players this season becasue of the play the same teams all the time format. I said this as early as December but everyteam is going to scheme better for McDRai spefically. Thats who gets the attention. Its incumbent that the stars don't get frustrated with it. you can see that McD at times is, and I don't like when he disengages from shifts. Conversely with Drai he played as usual a solid game in a tight checking affair when the marking was tough. Drai was being double teamed most of the night and still had reasonable results. Really he was around almost all our offense.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
I thought the Oilers played a good game, not a great game... One thing I noticed is they were a lot more tenacious in puck battles, and I think this was key in winning the game. To me this game was a sign the team is turning a corner and finally getting ready to compete, and I'm feeling significantly more optimistic about this season after that game.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
What are you talking about? McDavid has done nothing but adapt himself as the league is desperate to adapt to him. His speed is his weapon and McDavid has learned to do so many shifts and change ups with his speed, the players trying to defend against him have no idea as try to block a shot or to try to prevent a pass.

And McDavid even identified his face off game as being weak, so he spent the break focusing and studying it to get better at winning draws, and his improved face off numbers speak for themselves.

Yes he's adapted in some ways but they mostly revolve around how he can do different things flying around. I'm saying he could add more to his game in terms of adjusting in-game to really grind and work and control the puck when the opposition are trying to mitigate his speed. Sometimes he does do this but a lot of times he keeps trying the same high flying/cheating ways even when it's not gonna happen. He needs to ingrain more of the thinking of defending first and that the offence will come from good defence. He gets impatient and cheats. Stick together more often as a tighter 5 man unit with shorter passes. It's tougher, less sexy work but eventually will open up the stretch pass and open up ice for some high flying wheeling and dealing.

Same with shooting more. Have to shoot more even if it seems like the less sexy, cute play at times as it will open up ice for those sexy cute passes down the road when the opposing defenders have to respect unpredictable rebounds. It can be more exhausting defending a team that shoots a lot with rebounds rather than just containing a team that likes to pass the puck around the perimeter. That kind of adjustment. Embrace the non sexy plays at times... fire pucks on net and crash... guaranteed it will open up ice later on as the defenders have to respect it and also tire out more.

Last edited:

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
This is a reasonable comment, and I think Connor does have to look at other ways he has success. This falls on all star players this season becasue of the play the same teams all the time format. I said this as early as December but everyteam is going to scheme better for McDRai spefically. Thats who gets the attention. Its incumbent that the stars don't get frustrated with it. you can see that McD at times is, and I don't like when he disengages from shifts. Conversely with Drai he played as usual a solid game in a tight checking affair when the marking was tough. Drai was being double teamed most of the night and still had reasonable results. Really he was around almost all our offense.

I'm a huge fan of Connor but I call it as i see it. I have to say I'm liking the development of Drai's overall game since he's split from Connor. He tends to get into the same bad habits as Connor when they get put together so I'm glad they aren't back together 5 on 5. Drai is really learning to be a more solid player and that it's not always about making the sexiest plays all the time. But being reliable and getting the most out of your linemates or the other 4 teammates on the ice with you.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
It's nice to see that everybody is happy about the win and getting along so well.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
I'm a huge fan of Connor but I call it as i see it. I have to say I'm liking the development of Drai's overall game since he's split from Connor. He tends to get into the same bad habits as Connor when they get put together so I'm glad they aren't back together 5 on 5. Drai is really learning to be a more solid player and that it's not always about making the sexiest plays all the time. But being reliable and getting the most out of your linemates or the other 4 teammates on the ice with you.

I would agree and say that if there's one thing McD can learn from Drai it's to slow the play down and make guys come to you. Leon will never be the skater Connor is, but yet he can still dismantle teams with his patience and vision. McD should actually be even better at that since he has the edge work and acceleration to dummy guys in-close, but yet I don't recall many plays where he just took a lap, made someone over-commit, and then used the open ice to create something. It's almost always a play off the rush, and that's not really sustainable in today's NHL.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

This! You can really see how much Drai controls the play now that he doesn't have McD....or RNH for that matter.

I 100% noticed this the last couple games. He generates sooooo much opportunity for that line now by his neutral zone gains and in/or his boardplay.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I would agree and say that if there's one thing McD can learn from Drai it's to slow the play down and make guys come to you. Leon will never be the skater Connor is, but yet he can still dismantle teams with his patience and vision. McD should actually be even better at that since he has the edge work and acceleration to dummy guys in-close, but yet I don't recall many plays where he just took a lap, made someone over-commit, and then used the open ice to create something. It's almost always a play off the rush, and that's not really sustainable in today's NHL.

Exactly, it's not sustainable in today's NHL. He's just so fast and has such great edges/agility that i think to him it might just seem more natural to fly high and always want to beat guys one on one or make them back pedal with his blazing quicks. He needs to pick his spots more with that. There are different ways to create offence and to better involve your linemates to get them feeling significant puck touches and gaining confidence. He's always looking to do the same thing and it's still very tough to defend but teams are defending it much better now. He needs to change it up more often.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
This! You can really see how much Drai controls the play now that he doesn't have McD....or RNH for that matter.

I 100% noticed this the last couple games. He generates sooooo much opportunity for that line now by his neutral zone gains and in/or his boardplay.

Yup, it's not always sexy but there's a lot to be said about controlling/tilting the ice when you're on even if you don't score. It makes a huge difference and the benefits spill over to the other lines and it also affects the other team's psyche.

The quick one and done high flying rushes don't do as much unless you score. Control is important.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I mostly don't understand why you had to go four years AND big dollars. Either one is silly, but both is absolute nonsense. Where else in the league is he going to get to ride shotgun for a superstar C?
The same thing might happen with RNh, albeit he can be useful. Riding shot gun with an MVP boosted his totals. Can't do much at all on his won if Canada Dry isn't going.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I thought the Oilers played a good game, not a great game... One thing I noticed is they were a lot more tenacious in puck battles, and I think this was key in winning the game. To me this game was a sign the team is turning a corner and finally getting ready to compete, and I'm feeling significantly more optimistic about this season after that game.
I'll have a bit of confidence if I can see them do it 2 games in a row.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
McD really not earning his pay now. Really didn't get anything done in the game, gets an assist on an empty net goal, he shouldn't even be out there in that situation. He was also struggling on the dot. At one point faceoffs were 10-2 with Matthews owning him.

A bad look for McD is he's just trying to use his rote scoring rushes time and again and he's getting frustrated under tight checking that he can't do it. I see a difference between Drai trying to persevere through such a game and getting some results vs McD getting angry and packing his game at times. There are periods where McD is doing very little effectively, and that can't happen on his loaded line, or at his pay scale. Conversely Drai bags a goal and was also instrumental bumping/pressuring in front on the Yama goal.

The trouble is McD doesn't really adapt that much. We'll see, but he'll have to in this tight checking season. He got untracked in the one Vancouver game, other than that much of his speed stuff has been shut down, boxed out. He needs to start using other skills, play a simpler game, not always go for the beauty goal. The oilers have to start thinking about traffic on net, get some chaos plays going there and use their skill to control puck in offensive end.

Connor has to diversify his game at times and commit more to winning than individual accolades. Maybe he feels the pressure of being "generational" and feels that he has to put up gaudy stats to keep that label? Regardless, Drai is the better all around player and IMO a guy that you win with. If I had to trade 1 of them all things considered (return, cap hit, etc.) I would keep Drai.

Reactions: Drivesaitl and HK97

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Connor has to diversify his game at times and commit more to winning than individual accolades. Maybe he feels the pressure of being "generational" and feels that he has to put up gaudy stats to keep that label? Regardless, Drai is the better all around player and IMO a guy that you win with. If I had to trade 1 of them all things considered (return, cap hit, etc.) I would keep Drai.

Yeesh, it sounds crazy but at this moment in time you might be right about keeping Drai. I'd like to think Connor will eventually get it though. I totally agree with your quote regarding maybe Connor feeling like he has to put up gaudy stats (and also imo score spectacular highlight reel goals game in game out) to live up to the generational label and it may be taking away from his overall play and team success.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yeesh, it sounds crazy but at this moment in time you might be right about keeping Drai. I'd like to think Connor will eventually get it though. I totally agree with your quote regarding maybe Connor feeling like he has to put up gaudy stats (and also imo score spectacular highlight reel goals game in game out) to live up to the generational label and it may be taking away from his overall play and team success.

Connor has pressure on him like no other IMO. I hope that he figures out what it takes to maximize his skills so that he can be a great player in all 3 zones. Drai IMO is that when he is on, man are we ever lucky to have 2 great players.

Reactions: HK97

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The same thing might happen with RNh, albeit he can be useful. Riding shot gun with an MVP boosted his totals. Can't do much at all on his won if Canada Dry isn't going.
Oiler players are the only ones who get penalized for playing with good players.

CravenMH

Aug 6, 2020
I dont think Tips has no power but i think it's reasonable to assume Connor would have a strong say in who he wants to play with. And again, I'm not saying that's wrong but it could mess up how Tips wants to set his lineup up. Is it best for the team for Connor to have his way or is it best for the team to have tippett have full say in the line up? Who knows.

When it comes to the big leagues, it's not a player making demands to a coach. It's agents and other outside influences in the player's camp making demands to a GM. This is a big business, more people than just Connor are making huge money off the success of his career. It's hard to put it into perspective for the average Joe. But yes, definitely there is some issues about Drai pulling in more hardware than a teammate who is one of the most marketable talents in the NHL currently.

Reactions: HK97

CravenMH

Aug 6, 2020

Agreed. It's pretty clear that Tippett is pulling them into a defense first shell until they get some wins and get their confidence back. Most of the game is between the ears and if they get some wins they will find their groove and come out of the shell and get the offense going. But they definitely did not put on a defensive clinic at all. Looked more like an introductory course on throwing hand grenades. I think it's a good plan by the staff for now though. Try and take pressure off the goalie who will be overworked for the next while by limiting high danger chances and try to get the PP going again to squeak out some greasy wins. The guys just need to get some more polish on the defensive game.

Reactions: HK97 and Aerchon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad