Post-Game Talk: Ugliest win in years

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The Turris line also had a better night. They played the fewest overall minutes, but Turris played 10:21 and almost eight of those were against Matthews (4:45) and Tavares (3:01), and Turris didn’t allow a shot on goal against those two, while getting two on net. Granted, none of the shots on goal the third line produced were anything close to a scoring chance, but they made progress defensively in not allowing good chances.

A Step In The Right Direction

Interesting tidbit. Quite a few interesting things in this article
Turris line didnt look good at all to me. Easily the least reliable. Turris was good on PK and probably the reason why his TOI was higher than Nygard. Pulju got a look or 2_on PP.

Not a fan of this line.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
With regards to "Kassian played well after the goal against"...

He only had three shifts after the goal against.

Two of them were over a minute long.

I haven't looked at this over the season, but if he took shorter shifts at higher energy, it would definitely benefit the team more than...whatever he's been doing so far

Reactions: McTonyBrar

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
With regards to "Kassian played well after the goal against"...

He only had three shifts after the goal against.

Two of them were over a minute long.

I haven't looked at this over the season, but if he took shorter shifts at higher energy, it would definitely benefit the team more than...whatever he's been doing so far
He actually did look better after the goal - had a couple of takeaways and started finishing his checks. Hopefully he can build on that if he's on the ice tomorrow.

Reactions: TB12

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Turris line didnt look good at all to me. Easily the least reliable. Turris was good on PK and probably the reason why his TOI was higher than Nygard. Pulju got a look or 2_on PP.

Not a fan of this line.
If he's playing that much of the game against Tavares and Matthews, and didn't allow a shot against that isn't exactly bad.

Reactions: Cypress and TB12

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He actually did look better after the goal - had a couple of takeaways and started finishing his checks. Hopefully he can build on that if he's on the ice tomorrow.

Made a couple nice passes too.

I think he's in a tough spot. He's a guy who wants to make plays on the cycle, but that just isn't McDavid's style and RNH is allergic to the boards, so that line basically never cycles.

Might be a good idea to get Neal up with McD and Kassian when he's up to speed.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Kassian needs to shoot the puck more. He's way to deferential to McDavid on the rush. When he has an open lane, he needs to wire it. As much as he played better the last five minutes of the game, he needs to finish that 2 on 1. He had a wide open net.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Likely McD's request. It can be harder to coach a team with superstars who compete for the Art Ross year in year out. Right or wrong, Tippett is likely not forming the lines he really wants to without some strong suggestions from the stars.

Ohhh, it used to be Hall's fault and now you're blaming McDavid? Your baseless narratives are laughable.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You are so desperate to poison the well with star players. It's so bizarre.

The posters world view is to find fault with those in charge, in power, or in big positions. This is constant in all his posts. I can't spell it out here, but it veers political but the poster might dislike anybody that makes a lot of money. It all falls into place viewing the posts from that metric.

Reactions: McAsuno

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I actually think that last nights game was somewhat similar to how they played last year minus the power play. Maybe a bit more neutral zone clog up yesterday. Oilers last year werent typically that bad defensively, they allowed most of the shots from the outside and limited slot shots. They couldnt really move the puck worth a damn either (combined with wingers not being able to get the puck out) last year similar to yesterday. Biggest difference is that the power play just created way more shots, goals and chances so I think we felt better about our offense. Typically more flashes from McDavid too.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014

does we need to make him a compilation of the 2 foot passes our guys were missing or?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Holland was probably banking on Kassian to continue his production.
Easy to criticize it on the hind sight.
Kassian has been nowhere near the player he was a few years ago. This isn't hindsight, this is a player that has had years of inconsistent floaty play (even with the Oilers) only coming alive when playing with McDavid and even then he's still about as effective as Khaira some nights. I read last night he has 2 goals in the last 30 games which honestly wouldn't be so striking if he wasn't permanently stapled to McDavid's hip.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
The posters world view is to find fault with those in charge, in power, or in big positions. This is constant in all his posts. I can't spell it out here, but it veers political but the poster might dislike anybody that makes a lot of money. It all falls into place viewing the posts from that metric.

lol, says the guy who basically had similar criticism of Connor i have expressed a couple pages back. Your bias against me makes you contradict your stance.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
You are so desperate to poison the well with star players. It's so bizarre.

Connor's overall game and adaptation has been a bit disappointing. I find that Drai has started to really develop into an overall more solid player since he and Connor had been separated. He's starting to get into better habits and doing the right things more often. Connor is still trying to be more of a human highlight reel than playing a strong and solid game more conducive of consistently winning in tough tight high intensity games.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Kassian has been nowhere near the player he was a few years ago. This isn't hindsight, this is a player that has had years of inconsistent floaty play (even with the Oilers) only coming alive when playing with McDavid and even then he's still about as effective as Khaira some nights. I read last night he has 2 goals in the last 30 games which honestly wouldn't be so striking if he wasn't permanently stapled to McDavid's hip.

Yah it definitely wasn't a hindsight thing when that contract was signed. At least not for some. Kassian had strung together a nice stretch riding shotgun with McDavid but prior to that had been awful for the better part of 2 seasons. It was obvious from day one that the contract would be a miserable one. The doubly frustrating thing is that in the month or so leading up to the contract Kassian had already worn out his effectiveness on the top line. It was such a classic Holland signing from his Detroit days. Term and money for a bottom of the roster NHLer who gets the deal due to intangibles.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
lol, says the guy who basically had similar criticism of Connor i have expressed a couple pages back. Your bias against me makes you contradict your stance.
I'm just glad you've been off the COVID thread. Must be nothing to whine about or stir up there for you, I guess. Nice to see you spreading your "goodwill" here though. Appears others "appreciate" it.:D

Reactions: Drivesaitl

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Likely McD's request. It can be harder to coach a team with superstars who compete for the Art Ross year in year out. Right or wrong, Tippett is likely not forming the lines he really wants to without some strong suggestions from the stars.

Seriously how is this board not sick of your insistence of being negative with star players. It's actually quite annoying. Your posts are annoying and they don't provide anything of insight or anything at all. It's maddening

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Ohhh, it used to be Hall's fault and now you're blaming McDavid? Your baseless narratives are laughable.

Who is that smartass? He comes on, says negative things about our star players, and then he ditches until the next time. So annoying

Reactions: McAsuno

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Connor's overall game and adaptation has been a bit disappointing. I find that Drai has started to really develop into an overall more solid player since he and Connor had been separated. He's starting to get into better habits and doing the right things more often. Connor is still trying to be more of a human highlight reel than playing a strong and solid game more conducive of consistently winning in tough tight high intensity games.

The post of yours I responded to was around some bizarre fiction you have in your head where Tippet is beholden to McDavid who is actually the one forming the lines and forcing his hand as if Tippet secretly has no power in the dressing room.

If you want to have criticisms of a players game fine. No problem.

But once you start trying to act like an expert on their psyche and inferring things that you have absolutely nothing to back it up on your opinion becomes genuinely worthless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->