Post-Game Talk: Ugliest win in years

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Archibald should have been the first star.
In all fairness I was scared when he shot as I wasn't sure if he crossed the red line. Then when he made that goal, I was like man the guy has an accurate shot

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Who’s spot they gonna take? Shore deserves to play

I have no idea, but the poster I quoted said they shouldve been plucked into the line up instead of signing proven NHL depth on Kahun, Shore, Turris, etc.

My point was, if Marody, and Benson are ready to become NHL regulars, they have to out compete someone to force management's hands.

Reactions: Cypress

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Man watching a few of the highlights, boy did Marner have a tough game.

He got punished along the boards and was hit a few times rather hard (including by our resident baby giraffe).

He also got nearly decapitated by Nurse early on.

Guy's probably gonna spend the entire day in an ice bath.

Reactions: Oilhawks and LaGu

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007

He got punished along the boards and was hit a few times rather hard (including by our resident baby giraffe).

I like this play. Our D needs to be harder around the net. How many times did you see Marner drive the net after that. If Nurse is to be a better shutdown guy he needs to give more skill guys the “treatment”. I hope Kassian and Khaira watch and learn.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
In all seriousness, some positives.
Adam Larsson - good bounce back game from him. 4K and Larsson not a bad shutdown pair

Kosky- played okay in my view. Actually made a few important saves

3rd line - showed improvement. Puljujarvi is gonna score soon. He brings effort . I think Turris might need some uppers. Maybe some speed or meth

Devon Shore - like this fella. Could spell the end for Khaira
Larsson had some great shot blocks and. clearings

Kosko kept us in it in the first, which he's done in all games so far this season. The team needs to score more to help him out.

Puljujarvi better score soon for his sake, the play dies on his stick more than anyone else.

at the end of the day it doesn't matter HOW you the wins, just that you got them.

Reactions: LaGu

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

it is nice to see Nurse get physical. Showing leading the league in hits last year wasn't a fluke, we need that on our D

Reactions: nabob

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I have no idea, but the poster I quoted said they shouldve been plucked into the line up instead of signing proven NHL depth on Kahun, Shore, Turris, etc.

My point was, if Marody, and Benson are ready to become NHL regulars, they have to out compete someone to force management's hands.

In fairness it certainly seems that Tippett has play his vets itist.

McLeod and Bouchard... especially Bouchard has repeatedly been reported as being nhl ready and even after 5 absolutely brutal games by the Oilers have not made it into the lineup.

Tippett is the definition of stubborn and stupid imo. His post game last night reinforced to me he is willing to put up blinders to reality for the sake of his pride? His gut feeling that his lines should work? I don't why he has been so ridiculous about making correct line up changes or playing a rookie but he is unreasonably against it.

Reactions: Waterbuf

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Kosko kept us in it in the first, which he's done in all games so far this season. The team needs to score more to help him out.

Puljujarvi better score soon for his sake, the play dies on his stick more than anyone else.

at the end of the day it doesn't matter HOW you the wins, just that you got them.

This isn't true in this situation. The season is 10% over and our team has played like dog shit. In pretty much every game including the wins. With minimal improvement in those 5 games. Anyone... especially a coach, should be incredibly concerned about that.

It doesn't take a mathematician to see that as it is the Oilers are going to have a brutal season/record moving forward based off their projected play.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I like this play. Our D needs to be harder around the net. How many times did you see Marner drive the net after that. If Nurse is to be a better shutdown guy he needs to give more skill guys the “treatment”. I hope Kassian and Khaira watch and learn.

I don't like this play. Nurse makes a terrible play on the boards and then sells out for a penalty because he got beat like a rented mule.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Slightly better effort but still a lot of work to do.

I found it interesting that as soon as Kassian got embarrassed when he was easily stripped because of his weak ass work along the wall, he all of a sudden started to look like a hockey player after that. His feet were moving a little faster, he could actually handle the puck and make/take a pass. Had a nice takeaway in their zone, got his feet moving and had a chance where he proceeded to hit the cross bar on a near wide open net lol. After the Matthews goal it was like a switch flipped inside him.

We need a lot of other players to hit that switch.

Reactions: MessierII

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008

Oh man the flex on Nurse's stick :eek:

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
VS The Leafs:

PlayeriCFSAT‑FSAT‑ACF%
CRel%ZSOZSDoZS%HITBLK
Tyson Barrie316769.638.37277.812
Leon Draisaitl5181064.333.78947.121
Dominik Kahun110662.526.03442.920
Jesse Puljujarvi06554.515.31233.320
Kailer Yamamoto3121054.517.74640.024
Alex Chiasson310952.614.65362.500
Kris Russell1111052.414.74357.100
Connor McDavid5181751.416.98657.102
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins4162242.11.78657.101
Darnell Nurse2112035.5-8.65838.520
Zack Kassian161233.3-9.83537.520
Joakim Nygard13633.3-8.71325.000
Ethan Bear191932.1-13.13827.310
Josh Archibald271828.0-18.21712.562
Slater Koekkoek382226.7-21.61118.312
Adam Larsson182226.7-21.61118.315
Devin Shore172125.0-23.41233.330
Kyle Turris041323.5-21.71811.100
TOTAL375341.138.22519
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]

Turris...
Those Koekkoek-Larsson zone starts are pretty crazy.

Reactions: joestevens29

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I wonder when fans will start to realize and see that, majority of the time, Nurse actually does play good but you fail to see it because you don't want to?

Nurse is such a bipolar player. Its honestly easy to see the good in the game and the bad in his game, so I understand why so many people are divisive on him. Hes a fine player but the guy just isnt a top pairing dman in my opinion. Hes probably more of a #3 whos has some games where he looks like a #2. As he makes more money, more people are going to get the pitchforks out on him. I think the Oilers have got pretty good value out of him when he was making 1-3mil a year. Its go time for him now at 5.6mil. Hes probably fine at 5.6 but unless he really cuts down the errors/bad decisions in his game and becomes consistent, theres going to have to be a really hard decision on his next contract.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

Exactly
JUST WIN BABY!

Now I can walk around here at work and flap my lips off at them. We win next game and I’m Foghorn Leghorn
Good song for all the Debbie Downers

Reactions: yukoner88

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
I don't like this play. Nurse makes a terrible play on the boards and then sells out for a penalty because he got beat like a rented mule.
Agree totally but we’ve had too many occasions where our D would end the play watching him drive the net. I’m all for going nuclear deterrent on their best a few times to slow them down. Nurse will be more effective if he uses his size to put the hurt on a few opposition forwards.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
This isn't true in this situation. The season is 10% over and our team has played like dog shit. In pretty much every game including the wins. With minimal improvement in those 5 games. Anyone... especially a coach, should be incredibly concerned about that.

It doesn't take a mathematician to see that as it is the Oilers are going to have a brutal season/record moving forward based off their projected play.

To me they look like a team with a lot of new faces that hasn't played in five months. I don't see any particular reason why they won't improve. Now I agree with a short season there's not a lot of runway, but I'm not gonna flip out until they've played a few more games.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Agree totally but we’ve had too many occasions where our D would end the play watching him drive the net. I’m all for going nuclear deterrent on their best a few times to slow them down. Nurse will be more effective if he uses his size to put the hurt on a few opposition forwards.

Yah you are right. Was just angry about that at the time! Haha

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Koski earning himself any leeway with HFOil?

I think he's a pretty damn serviceable starter who just needs the franchise to find him someone reliable to share the load. He might not be what we had hoped for but I do believe we can win with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad