WWE: UFC notified of potential Brock Lesnar anti-doping violation

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
If it was something like that, he should have already disclosed the fact he uses it to the testers and thus not failed the test.

Isn't that what happened with Nick Backstrom at the Olympics? They voided his medal for a "performance enhancing drug" when he just took an over the counter allergy medicine and didn't tell anyone?

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
If it was something like that, he should have already disclosed the fact he uses it to the testers and thus not failed the test.
This is how I feel as well. I'd restrain from making any assumptions before the official information on the substance is released, and if it's indeed Advair, the situation would look like one big misuderstanding as it doesn't even really reach any significant concentrations in blood. But Lesnar keeping it silent makes people think it's PED, which would surprise 0 men on Earth.
Isn't that what happened with Nick Backstrom at the Olympics? They voided his medal for a "performance enhancing drug" when he just took an over the counter allergy medicine and didn't tell anyone?
Yep, that's what happened for Nicky (Zyrtec), and the worst thing was that they lifted the suspension after the game.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Wow, this could ruin Brock Lesnar, hit WWE hard and open more eyes on UFC. Well, he's rich, any who, wouldn't care much.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Wow, this could ruin Brock Lesnar, hit WWE hard and open more eyes on UFC. Well, he's rich, any who, wouldn't care much.

Honestly, this isn't going to do much of anything to the WWE. Even his match at Summerslam being cancelled really isn't that much of a loss overall.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
On Meltzer's show from last night, he had an important note on how the New York commission works, which changes things with Lesnar.

The New York commission doesn't licence individual wrestlers, but they licence the promoter. So WWE has the licence, and the individual wrestlers don't have them (other states the wrestlers need a wrestling licence to perform).

This means that Lesnar can be on Summerslam even if he is banned. If he is, then WWE will face the punishment not Lesnar. But because WWE do a ton of business in New York, and it's been their home area for decades, the commission might be willing to let it slide or just give a token fine, opposed to out right banning WWE from the state.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
On Meltzer's show from last night, he had an important note on how the New York commission works, which changes things with Lesnar.

The New York commission doesn't licence individual wrestlers, but they licence the promoter. So WWE has the licence, and the individual wrestlers don't have them (other states the wrestlers need a wrestling licence to perform).

This means that Lesnar can be on Summerslam even if he is banned. If he is, then WWE will face the punishment not Lesnar. But because WWE do a ton of business in New York, and it's been their home area for decades, the commission might be willing to let it slide or just give a token fine, opposed to out right banning WWE from the state.

I don't think they would risk the credibility of their drug policy just so Lesnar can wrestle. MAYBE if it was still a PPV and they were relying on buys but, with the WWE Network in place. I highly doubt they will allow him.

One way around this is if Lesnar is going to appeal the tests, they can basically say the results are pending and innocent until proven guilty. In that scenario I could see them still going forward with him and Orton at Summerslam. Vince will surely want to go capitalize on all the publicity that Lesnar garnered through UFC 200, tough call for the WWE.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I don't think they would risk the credibility of their drug policy just so Lesnar can wrestle. MAYBE if it was still a PPV and they were relying on buys but, with the WWE Network in place. I highly doubt they will allow him.

One way around this is if Lesnar is going to appeal the tests, they can basically say the results are pending and innocent until proven guilty. In that scenario I could see them still going forward with him and Orton at Summerslam. Vince will surely want to go capitalize on all the publicity that Lesnar garnered through UFC 200, tough call for the WWE.
It's mostly for a case where Lesnar is suspended, but not for cheating.

Say it does turn out that it's a mistake due to taking his inhaler, Lesnar is still given short suspension. WWE can then say "Lesnar took legit medicine which made him fail, so we're not suspending him from WWE". He'll be banned by the commission still, but WWE wouldn't be in the wrong to ignore his UFC suspension.

Same if he's delaying the hearing, he could be given a temporary ban until the hearing. Then as you say, WWE say "innocent until proven guilty" and let him perform.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
New York State issues a statement that a Nevada suspension will not affect NY or Summerslam.

Reason being is they don't consider wrestling a real sport.

So it's just up to WWE if they want to suspend him.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
It would be extremely bad for their image if they didn't suspend Lesnar if it's revealed to be PEDs.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
New York State issues a statement that a Nevada suspension will not affect NY or Summerslam.

Reason being is they don't consider wrestling a real sport.

So it's just up to WWE if they want to suspend him.

This makes more sense to me.

It's common knowledge that wrestling is scripted.

Its more like a Broadway play than a sport.

So no Tony Award nomination for Lesnar.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
It would be extremely bad for their image if they didn't suspend Lesnar if it's revealed to be PEDs.

They can do that now and he'll be back in time for Summerslam. And even if he wouldn't be back, they can just back date the suspension to whenever the first test came out.

If WWE want Lesnar they'll have him.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
They can do that now and he'll be back in time for Summerslam. And even if he wouldn't be back, they can just back date the suspension to whenever the first test came out.

They already released a statement last week that he isn't currently on the roster and won't be until Summerslam.

So I think that will be their position most likely. He didn't fail while with them so it's all good welcome to Orton/Brock at Summerslam.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

Oh yeah, for sure.

FTR, I don't believe it was PEDs. You don't test clean for your first five tests and then suddenly fail. I believe it was for asthma like someone who was in his camp said.

We've ALL seen how red and sweaty Lesnar gets with just a bit of exertion.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
FTR, I don't believe it was PEDs. You don't test clean for your first five tests and then suddenly fail.
Why? It's pretty possible, unless the tests are taken within a day.
I believe it was for asthma like someone who was in his camp said.
We've ALL seen how red and sweaty Lesnar gets with just a bit of exertion.
While I also lend to thinking it was a drug for asthma treatment, getting red and sweaty during an extreme physical activity isn't really a good indicator of breathing problems ;)

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
FTR, I don't believe it was PEDs. You don't test clean for your first five tests and then suddenly fail. I believe it was for asthma like someone who was in his camp said.

He could have been taking a drug that was that is only in your system for a short amount of time (like sub-24 hours). They basically changes it all into a game of chance if you test him the day he took it or not. This is the biggest problem for drug testing, it's really hard to actually catch someone even if you are testing them every other day. The thing that is reducing drug usage is the fear of bear caught and the massive suspension, not actually catching people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad