GDT: UFC 256: Figueiredo vs. Moreno

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Moicano may still have been in it, but it looked like a straight KO and Fiziev pounced on him right away. By the time Moicano was getting Fiziev into his guard, he had received another big shot and the ref had already committed to stopping the fight. I can see the merit of both arguments.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
There's more to it.

Watch the ref (sorry, don't know his name) with the Swanson KO. He was watching Pineda the entire time and as soon as he took one shot on the ground and he wasn't defending himself, he stopped it. It was a clinical stoppage and exactly how they would teach you.

With the Moicano one, the ref is further away so he doesn't have the same vantage point. You can't overcompensate for your poor position by immediately flailing over the top to protect the fighter. You need to move yourself into better position and then assess. He panicked, flailed, and was wrong.

People make way too much of a deal out of guys taking an extra shot. Every single fighter would take one extra shot vs having the ref end the fight prematurely. You need to protect the fighter with your positioning and awareness, not by guessing.

Fair points.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Moicano may still have been in it, but it looked like a straight KO and Fiziev pounced on him right away. By the time Moicano was getting Fiziev into his guard, he had received another big shot and the ref had already committed to stopping the fight. I can see the merit of both arguments.

The ref was yelling "stop" from across the cage before he even landed anything on the ground though. It just seemed like he was caught off-guard and it caused him to rush to a decision.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I’m torn on who to bet on for this one, I think Junior is the better fighter but I worry his chin might be compromised. He just doesn’t take the same shots he used to.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
The ref was yelling "stop" from across the cage before he even landed anything on the ground though. It just seemed like he was caught off-guard and it caused him to rush to a decision.

Well it looked like he got KTFO. Falling tree motion and head bounced off the canvas. I don't blame him for jumping the gun in that instance.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Well it looked like he got KTFO. Falling tree motion and head bounced off the canvas. I don't blame him for jumping the gun in that instance.

Sure, and as a fan at home that's a perfectly acceptable answer. As a ref you need to be able to know what actually happened and not just what it looked like.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
JDS getting cut

Hell of a run warrior, plz call it quits. Can’t take a clean jab anymore

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Great gameplan by Gane. Chopped JDS down a bit and then picked him apart once he was too slow from the kicks.

member 51464

Gane is too nice a guy. He should just say that elbow was clean (which it was) and be done with it.
I think there is something classy about letting the video speak for itself. Nobody but JDS is saying it was illegal, so...no sweat off his back.

Reactions: CDJ

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Will be interesting what they do next with Gane.

Rozenstruik might make some sense, but I think I like Gane v Overeem/Volkov winner. It's too bad that fight is booked for February, would much prefer Gane vs either sooner than later.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think that’s all legal. I like JDS and he seems like one of the legit good guys in MMA but he got outclassed tonight like DC said. Him getting rocked by a straight jab might be a bigger issue than getting caught behind the head.

Gane is going to be a problem if he has any kind of takedown defense. He’s quick and a great striker.

Reactions: CDJ

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5