Get Draisaitl and McDavid some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Just to reply to the OP......

They don't need help, they need a balanced team. Every season the Leafs and Oilers go in with a juggernaught offense, lacklucker D and a rotating cast of literal clowns as their goaltenders and just like...... hope for the best?

Both teams need to heavily overpay in a trade for a quality goalie.

Reactions: mdobbs

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Maybe just maybe. Splitting up 2 forwards who are considered top 5 in there position/world should I don't know be split up?

They literally can have depth but the fact you have the two beat guys on some unbeatable line is going to leave holes in the line up.
I don't remember but I think they were split up in game 1 when they had a comfortable lead.

When your goalie is spotting the other team 2 goal leads all the time you're forced to go into desperation mode.

Both teams need to heavily overpay in a trade for a quality goalie.
They just need a competent one. Jake Allen was had for a third this year. With Allen in net Oilers leave BC up 2-0 in the series.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Crosby's cap hit in 2009 was 15.8% of the total cap, which is higher than McDavid's percentage cap hit this year.

McDavid is drastically outproducing the opposition when he's on the ice. Is his defense really the problem?

When it counts the most would presumably be the playoffs, where McDavid has put up 70 points in his last 36 games.

This is a dumb and bad take all around.

Crosby's cap hit in 2009 was 15.8% of the total cap, which is higher than McDavid's percentage cap hit this year.

McDavid is drastically outproducing the opposition when he's on the ice. Is his defense really the problem?

When it counts the most would presumably be the playoffs, where McDavid has put up 70 points in his last 36 games.

This is a dumb and bad take all around.
Crosby took far below the league max in salary which allowed the team to build around him. That’s leadership.

McMuffin took the league max. That’s not leadership.

Yes, McDavid’s defense or lack thereof is a problem. Why do you think guys like Crosby, Stamkos, & Toews have multiple rings? They know that playing both ends gets it done.

So we’re just straight up lying now huh
Name me one championship in the NHL McDavid has led his team to.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
That’s not what you said, you said McDavid doesn’t put up points that matter

He is 3rd all time in playoff points per game lmfao

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
So your complaint is that McDavid doesn’t put up enough team awards? Lmao
The truly great players only care about championships & leading their team to those titles. They do what it takes. Go into the dirty areas, play both ends, take the beatings, etc.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Crosby took far below the league max in salary which allowed the team to build around him. That’s leadership.

McMuffin took the league max. That’s not leadership.

Yes, McDavid’s defense or lack thereof is a problem. Why do you think guys like Crosby, Stamkos, & Toews have multiple rings? They know that playing both ends gets it done.

You do understand that the total salary doesn't actually matter for team building, only the cap hit does, right? Right? McDavid carried a cap hit of $12.5M in 2019, which was a lower percentage of the salary cap than Crosby had in 2009. This is stuff you can easily look up.

Your examples of Crosby (2009) and Stamkos as two-way players is certainly something. Are you just throwing shit against the wall hoping it sticks?

As I said, dumb and bad takes all around.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
The truly great players only care about championships & leading their team to those titles. They do what it takes. Go into the dirty areas, play both ends, take the beatings, etc.
Right so you just don’t like McDavid basically because none of this applies to him

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Weird. I thought giving McDrai the second best goal scorer in the league was help. Thought giving them two defenceman better than any defencema the Nucks have is also giving them help. Bottom lines didn’t create tonight, but if you know hockey it’s not all about production, they contribute to the best PK in the playoffs and play a very responsible defensive game. Hockey is played at both ends of the ice.
Lol nobody thinks Bouchard/Ekholm > the next norris winner in hughes

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
Get them some help. Lol. They basically run the team already. I don't think they are liked very much, by their own teammates. End of last game is an example. Pretty small push back for McDavid getting folded. Oilers aren't really a team. It's the McDrai show. Yawn.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Not the 09 contract when they won the first cup.
The original point was comparing recent models of success to this current Oilers core.

Since the new cba every team with the exception of STL have had some sort of loophole to exploit as much of the cap as they can. Meanwhile Oilers are paying Nurse 3m too much, still paying 2m on James Neal's buyout, have a goalie that hasn't dressed since november making 5 million and connor brown making 4 million.

Kings - Richards, Carter, Quick
Hawks - Hossa, Keith
Pens - Sid
Caps - Ovi
Vegas and TBL with the LTIR shenanigans.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I wonder f the issue is that they are playing McDavid and drai too much to the point that the other lines can't get going lol.
If you play your best 2 forwards and best 2 defensemen constantly together you are leaving the other pairings and forward lines out to get eaten constantly.

I think we see this a lot this series. McDavid + Drai when out are deadly super deadly.

Does Depth not win championships?
2023 - Vegas - 3 solid lines and D
2022 Avalanche - stacked heavy on 2 top 6 lines and 2 amazing D pairs
2021 - Tampa 3 lines and D
2020 - Tampa 3 lines and D
2019 - Blues 3 Lines and D

Vancouver isn't some world beater but
They even have spread out talent where Lindholm is not in the top 6.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
If you play your best 2 forwards and best 2 defensemen constantly together you are leaving the other pairings and forward lines out to get eaten constantly.

I think we see this a lot this series. McDavid + Drai when out are deadly super deadly.

Does Depth not win championships?
2023 - Vegas - 3 solid lines and D
2022 Avalanche - stacked heavy on 2 top 6 lines and 2 amazing D pairs
2021 - Tampa 3 lines and D
2020 - Tampa 3 lines and D
2019 - Blues 3 Lines and D

Vancouver isn't some world beater but
They even have spread out talent where Lindholm is not in the top 6.
they will buyout Campbell which should help but they need to find a way to get rid of one of or if not most of Kane,ceci,kulak, and nurse, too much cap being spent on them being mediocre.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
The original point was comparing recent models of success to this current Oilers core.

Since the new cba every team with the exception of STL have had some sort of loophole to exploit as much of the cap as they can. Meanwhile Oilers are paying Nurse 3m too much, still paying 2m on James Neal's buyout, have a goalie that hasn't dressed since november making 5 million and connor brown making 4 million.

Kings - Richards, Carter, Quick
Hawks - Hossa, Keith
Pens - Sid
Caps - Ovi
Vegas and TBL with the LTIR shenanigans.

So in 2015 2016

71.4 was the cap

Crosby took 12.2 %
Malkin took 13.3%
Total 25.5 %

Cap hit today 83.5
Draisaitl 10.2%
Mcdavid 15%
25.2 %

With the cap jumping it will even be less. Just trying to understand the excuses.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
So in 2015 2016

71.4 was the cap

Crosby took 12.2 %
Malkin took 13.3%
Total 25.5 %

Cap hit today 83.5
Draisaitl 10.2%
Mcdavid 15%
25.2 %

With the cap jumping it will even be less. Just trying to understand the excuses.
Im not sure if you're being intentionally obtuse or just confrontational.

The duo needs help (depth). Depth can only be acquired by cap space, which has been terribly mishandled by the Oilers management since McDavid arrived. I bet if we look back since 2015 there has been some sort of dead cap in the form of buyout or retention every year.

Meanwhile Penguins gm was able to capitalize on another teams mishandling of a contract and got a top 10 winger in the game with salary retained.

Any level headed hockey fan knows this isn't about the players.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Im not sure if you're being intentionally obtuse or just confrontational.

The duo needs help (depth). Depth can only be acquired by cap space, which has been terribly mishandled by the Oilers management since McDavid arrived. I bet if we look back since 2015 there has been some sort of dead cap in the form of buyout or retention every year.

Meanwhile Penguins gm was able to capitalize on another teams mishandling of a contract and got a top 10 winger in the game with salary retained.

Any level headed hockey fan knows this isn't about the players.

Got Kane because of the SanJose debacle.

Kane was at the time a 7 million dollar player. Got him cheaper.

Nuge signed a sweet heart deal.

Ekholm has salary retained and is considered a top 30 defensemen every year by HF the past few years.

Just maybe it's time for the players to play on 2 different lines and create some depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad