GDT: UFC 251: Usman vs. Masvidal

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I was very impressed with Masvidal's TDD. Not sure if we'll see it with Usman possibly taking some time off but I actually think Burns beats him.

Max won that fight. This is why scoring is flawed. Max won 1 and 2 convincingly, whereas Volkanovski maybe barely won the decisive 3rd round. Max did more damage and dropped Volkanovski twice. The real shame is Max may have to wait a few fights for a rematch whereas if the judges scored it for him they'd immediately run it back. Probably the minority opinion but I actually think they should anyway.

I was surprised Rose struggled so much with Andrade. Zhang will smoke her.

I know Yan looked amazing but I really think if Aldo threw even 5-10 more leg kicks in those first two rounds the fight could've looked very different.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
So far in his UFC career Usman has wins over Masvidal, Covington, Woodley, RDA, Maia, and Edwards

he’s mostly boring but he is absolutely cleaning out welterweight

Reactions: Avs_19 and m9

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
So far in his UFC career Usman has wins over Masvidal, Covington, Woodley, RDA, Maia, and Edwards

he’s mostly boring but he is absolutely cleaning out welterweight
He is, but his style is truly terrible. Some casuals complain about Khabib but Khabib is far more exciting to watch and actually tries to finish his fights. People complained about GSP as well but GSP was very active with a wide variety of high level tools that also brought good entertainment value still IMO. Even his later career fights like Condit, Diaz, Hendricks were far more entertaining than the average Usman fight.

Usman is pure lay and pray as far as his style of grappling/wrestling goes. He struck with Colby because their wrestling was neutralized and he didn't have to worry since he had the power advantage, but otherwise he just grinds in the clinch and suffocates his opponents in the most boring fashion. Gets the job done but it has zero entertainment value.

Reactions: I am not exposed

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
1) No way Usman gets the fictional BMF title.
2) GSP version 2.0
3) How dirty to wall and stall against a fighter who took the fight on a week's notice
That's disrespectful as f*** to GSP. He was far more aggressive than Usman with his top control and had elite ground and pound. He was also a way better striker and actually had good BJJ as well.

GSP had a few snoozers like the Shields fight, but even his later fights like Condit, Diaz, Hendricks, Bisping were far more entertaining than the crap we saw last night. I could rewatch that Condit fight any day, that was entertaining and violent as hell.

The two are not even in the same stratosphere in terms of entertainment value. Kamaru only has one fight I'd ever rewatch while GSP has numerous fights I'd want to watch again.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I felt so unsatisfied after that stacked card last night. Usman did exactly what we thought he would do and it nearly put me to sleep at 1AM CST. I don't think Jorge was in great shape and while he did an excellent job defending takedowns, he had nothing left to get off the cage until like 20 seconds to go.

I thought Max won. Aldo getting beat on for far too long, this is after Yan beat the shit out of one of my all-time favourites, Faber. Best thing was Rose winning the decision but it was far from any memorable fights.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Usman goes to the body more than anybody I’ve ever seen. It’s just straight clinch, foot stomps, knees to the gut. That is Pretty much how he fights every time. He beat the shit out of Tyrons midsection

How many others had Masvidal winning the first round? Only one of the judges did.

Close round, I guess it comes down to what you appreciate more. When in a situation like this I always go with the aggressor and to me Jorge was more of the aggressor in that round (subsequently got smoked in the next 4)

Last edited:
Reactions: m9

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
The welterweight title has been dominated by boring point fighting wrestlers for as long as I can remember.

Robbie Lawler(Condit to if you want to count interim belts)was the only exception in the last 10 years

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
When a fighter is dominating his opponent in "boring" fashion, I don't blame the guy winning... the blame should fall to the fighter who is being dominated because they're the one who allowed themselves to be put in that situation

Masvidal just stood there with his back against the cage and a smile on his face while Usman pounded his midsection, stomped his foot, and occasionally kneed his leg...

Reactions: Zeppo

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I was very impressed with Masvidal's TDD. Not sure if we'll see it with Usman possibly taking some time off but I actually think Burns beats him.

Max won that fight. This is why scoring is flawed. Max won 1 and 2 convincingly, whereas Volkanovski maybe barely won the decisive 3rd round. Max did more damage and dropped Volkanovski twice. The real shame is Max may have to wait a few fights for a rematch whereas if the judges scored it for him they'd immediately run it back. Probably the minority opinion but I actually think they should anyway.

I was surprised Rose struggled so much with Andrade. Zhang will smoke her.

I know Yan looked amazing but I really think if Aldo threw even 5-10 more leg kicks in those first two rounds the fight could've looked very different.

All 3 judges gave Volkanovski round 3. 1 judge gave round 5 to Max! Which is even worse than the judges giving round 3 to Volk.

I thought Max won due to the first 3 rounds, but not one judge scored that 3rd round in Max's favour. It reminds me of the Reyes/Jones fight.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1specter and m9

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
you either lose to Masvidal in an exciting fight or you beat Masvidal in a boring point fight.

This Masvidal loss is actually on the "exciting" side compared to his other losses lol

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
official, sorry should have been more clear

I think I would have done 4 performance bonuses myself (Amirkhani, Procházka, Grant, Yan) but can’t complain with Rose and Andrade getting a bonus either. Could even make the argument for Ribas Getting one too.

I leaned Towards Amirkhani and Yan getting one because I Feel like I haven’t seen an anaconda in awhile And Yan convincingly finished a legend in a title fight

Agree with the POFN bonus. Very cool for Grant.

Don't agree with the FOTN. But in all fairness, there wasn't a clear cut option imo.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Cejudo retired b/c he knew Yan was in his near future...

I'm a big Yan fan but Cejudo would rightfully be favoured in that fight. As weird and cringy as he is, he's a great fighter and I don't think he's worried about fighting any of these guys.

Reactions: m9 and pistolpete11

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I'm a big Yan fan but Cejudo would rightfully be favoured in that fight. As weird and cringy as he is, he's a great fighter and I don't think he's worried about fighting any of these guys.

He might not be physically scared, but I got the sense that he wanted to preserve his legacy...

After all, this is a guy who markets himself as the "greatest combat athlete of all-time"

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Usman-Masvidal : Expected. Boring. Unsatisfying. A lot of the blame goes to Usman. This is just how he fights. It's dominant, but it's boring. Combined with his phony 2-faced approach with the media and outside the cage, he's probably the most unlikeable champ in the UFC. Between him and this risk adversed version of Jon Jones, if you ask me. BUT I will defend him slightly. Of course finishing Masvidal would have been great for him. If the PPV did as well as Dana was saying it was trending, he had a chance to become a star himself. But Masvidal is really good. Usman tried getting him to the ground, but more often than not, Masvidal stuffed it. When he did get it to the ground, Masvidal is really good there, too. It would tough to land on him. And he wasn't going to stand and trade with Masvidal, so it was just kind of this stalemate in the clinch. I think Usman-Burns will be more exciting. There will probably be more stand up and if it goes to the ground, there will be more scrambles with Burns attempting submissions. Burns might even pull guard if he's pinned against the cage. Masvidal, I think it is Nate. It will do big numbers again regardless of how one sided the first one was and it will most likely get Masvidal back into the win column. If not, Colby makes the most sense to me.

Volkanovski-Max : This is why the 10 point must system sucks. I thought Max won anyway, but clearly he won if you judge it as a whole. Props to both guys though. Max must have made some adjustments and came out more aggressive as I expected him to. I think he threw more kicks this time. And props to Volkanovski for the in fight adjustments. He was getting tuned up a little bit there and turned things around. I don't think he turned them around as much as 2 of the judges, but he definitely made it closer. Volkanovski I think/hope gets Zombie/Ortega winner. Max? I don't know. He's in a tough spot. Max-Zombie would be f***ing awesome, but any of Zombie, Yair, Zabit, or maybe Kattar is he beats Ige. And hope and pray someone beats Volkanovski. A lot of people think Max won, so I think a win or 2 and you could maybe do the trilogy with Volkanovski. I don't think it works right away, though.

Yan-Aldo : Like Volkanovski, Yan deserves credit for changing the momentum. Aldo was starting to get the better of him, but Yan turned it up a notch or 2 in the third and eventually got the finish. Yan-Sterling is clearly the fight to make and it should be a good one. Really no idea how that one plays out. Aldo, I don't know. He's still only 33, but becoming a champ again is probably not going to happen. I'd like to see Aldo-Cruz next.

Rose-Andrade : As someone said, that's a win that doesn't feel like a win for Rose. If she got pieced up at the beginning, maybe you could say it was ring rust, but she looked sharp early. Andrade just started bullying her and almost got the finish again. If that was a 5 rounder, Rose was in trouble. Zhang isn't as powerful as Andrade, but she's strong and way more technical of a striker. I wonder if Rose would look to take that fight to the ground? Not sure what could be next for Andrade. I'd like to see Suarez-JJ, but if that doesn't happen, maybe one of them?

Ribas-PZV : As I said last night, people will say PVZ sucks, but Ribas is good, man. I'd like to see someone in the top 10 of SW next for her. Maybe Waterson? Esparza? Something like that. A decent name, someone she probably 'should' beat, but that is good and experienced enough to give her a test. PZV, good luck in Bellator. We'll always remember that switch kick KO of Rawlings.

its josh

May 13, 2020
I had volk winning. Max stopped after the 2nd round. He didn't do a single thing.

Aldo had a chance, too. He had Yan hurt, pinned against the fence in the 3rd. Aldo backed up. The. Aldo didn't throw another combo the entire fight. Yan realized this and took advantage.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
When a fighter is dominating his opponent in "boring" fashion, I don't blame the guy winning... the blame should fall to the fighter who is being dominated because they're the one who allowed themselves to be put in that situation

Masvidal just stood there with his back against the cage and a smile on his face while Usman pounded his midsection, stomped his foot, and occasionally kneed his leg...
I agree and disagree.

Yes, Usman's not going to stand and trade with Masvidal. Nobody should expect that. And it's not like he didn't try to get Masvidal to the ground and land some G&P. He did and Masvidal stuffed him and/or had good defense on the ground.

But this isn't a one off. This is how most of his fights go.

I don't have a huge problem with it. You're right. It is up to the contenders to figure out a way to beat him. Where I would have a problem with it is if he starts holding out for more money. You should get paid based on the money you help bring in, not how good you are.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Yan-Aldo : Like Volkanovski, Yan deserves credit for changing the momentum. Aldo was starting to get the better of him, but Yan turned it up a notch or 2 in the third and eventually got the finish. Yan-Sterling is clearly the fight to make and it should be a good one. Really no idea how that one plays out. Aldo, I don't know. He's still only 33, but becoming a champ again is probably not going to happen. I'd like to see Aldo-Cruz next.

Did Yan turn it up a notch or 2, or did Aldo begin to tire?

Reactions: VanillaCoke

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Usman vs Burns could end up being a boxing match
I would see it going 1 of 2 ways.

Usman will keep it on the feet like he did with Maia and it turns into a boxing match like you said. Burns has big power, but I'm not sure how good his boxing really is. Usman might like his chances.

Or if Usman is worried about Burns' power, Usman will try to pin him against the cage like he did to Masvidal but without trying to take it to the ground and we get a whole lot of head positioning, foot stomps, and knees. Burns could still sink in a submission standing or try to pull guard or something, but if it's against the cage, I think it would neutralize his BJJ a little bit. And it obviously neutralizes his power if they are in the clinch.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Did Yan turn it up a notch or 2, or did Aldo begin to tire?
I think both and then it's a chicken or the egg situation. But at some point, I think it was the third round, Yan really started to up the volume and was kind of blitzing Aldo more.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
That's disrespectful as f*** to GSP. He was far more aggressive than Usman with his top control and had elite ground and pound. He was also a way better striker and actually had good BJJ as well.

GSP had a few snoozers like the Shields fight, but even his later fights like Condit, Diaz, Hendricks, Bisping were far more entertaining than the crap we saw last night. I could rewatch that Condit fight any day, that was entertaining and violent as hell.

The two are not even in the same stratosphere in terms of entertainment value. Kamaru only has one fight I'd ever rewatch while GSP has numerous fights I'd want to watch again.
"Elite ground and pound." How delusional. Usman is just a better version of GSP. There's a reason why he chose to fight Bisping rather than return to the WW division. The only thing GSP has on Usman is being Canadian and handsome.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
All 3 judges gave Volkanovski round 3. 1 judge gave round 5 to Max! Which is even worse than the judges giving round 3 to Volk.

I thought Max won due to the first 3 rounds, but not one judge scored that 3rd round in Max's favour. It reminds me of the Reyes/Jones fight.

That's interesting. Looked to me like Holloway had a little bit going for him in the 5th but Volkanovski dominated 4 and 5. I think everyone just assumed that round 3 was the swing vote, not 5. Strange.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Better then GSP lol

hes honestly getting there whether people like it or not

Won the ultimate fighter, undefeated in the promotion, rarely loses rounds while facing elite competition. Complete and total domination of the division. GSP is obviously a legend but he has a couple losses to his name

I do think he beats GSP if they fight but that fight would never happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad