GDT: UFC 251: Usman vs. Masvidal

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That wasn't an entertaining main event but I think most people expected something like that. Props to Masvidal for stepping up on six days notice.

Masvidal's takedown defense was actually impressive for the most part and it makes you wonder what he could do with a full camp. At the same time though, Usman also had to adjust to a different type of opponent at the last minute and it's easy to see a rematch playing out exactly the same way.

Usman vs. Burns should be next. If Usman wants to take a break then Edwards could possibly get in there against Burns in a #1 contender fight. Masvidal seems to want to run it back with Nate, even though he was easily winning when it was stopped, so maybe they'll do that. He could fight Covington too and be right back in the title mix with a win.

Reactions: pistolpete11

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Haha. I know. I'm not hating..I'm a big Till fan. I just find it odd he has a fight signed and all we hear about Edwards is he can't leave due to covid-19 restrictions. Though I suppose it could just be he lives with someone at high risk so is opting out.

Yeah, that is pretty odd. I have this image of Edwards just stuck in a big white room looking really sad because he is trapped haha

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
My money is on Masvidal-Nate 2 happens next. Masvidal was talking about Nate even if he won, so why not now? With Conor likely off the table now, it's the biggest fight for Masvidal.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
That wasn't an entertaining main event but I think most people expected something like that. Props to Masvidal for stepping up on six days notice.

Masvidal's takedown defense was actually impressive for the most part and it makes you wonder what he could do with a full camp. At the same time though, Usman also had to adjust to a different type of opponent at the last minute and it's easy to see a rematch playing out exactly the same way.

Usman vs. Burns should be next. Masvidal seems to want to run it back with Nate, even though he was easily winning when it was stopped, so maybe they'll do that. He could fight Covington too and be right back in the title mix with a win.

He said at the end of the fight to Usman, two more wins for him and we will meet again.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It feels like it happened a long time ago because of how the card dragged out but Yan is the star of the night for me. Ribas and Prochazka are right up there as well.

If all goes to plan then tonight should set up some good fights with Weili/Rose, Yan/Sterling, and Usman/Burns.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

Usman vs. Burns should be next. If Usman wants to take a break then Edwards could possibly get in there against Burns in a #1 contender fight. Masvidal seems to want to run it back with Nate, even though he was easily winning when it was stopped, so maybe they'll do that. He could fight Covington too and be right back in the title mix with a win.
I think a Usman-Masvidal rematch goes exactly the same way...unfortunately.

I knew Masvidal would be able to defend well, but Usman is just too big and imposing combined with his wrestling skills.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Haha. I know. I'm not hating..I'm a big Till fan. I just find it odd he has a fight signed and all we hear about Edwards is he can't leave due to covid-19 restrictions. Though I suppose it could just be he lives with someone at high risk so is opting out.

I believe Edwards' gym is still shutdown or it just very recently reopened so he hasn't been able to train.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It feels like it happened a long time ago because of how the card dragged out but Yan is the star of the night for me. Ribas and Prochazka are right up there as well.
Yeah, definitely Yan. Finished a legend to get a belt.

Ribas definitely put her name on the map for a bunch of people. Unfortunately, a lot of them will probably say "PVZ wasn't even that good! She's just hot!" But I think Ribas is the real deal. I think she could shoot herself up the 125 division pretty quickly if they wanted, but I think she's more natural at 115. So I hope she goes back down and slowly works her way up.

Prochazka put his name into the mix at LHW. This win alone might not do a lot in terms of becoming a star, but he's now immediately in the mix.

Volkanovski, it wasn't star making, but it's legend making IMO. I don't agree with the decision, but still, he's now beat Aldo and Max twice. I feel like people say this with every new champ, but I'm not sure who coming up has the skills to beat him. Maybe a BJJ like Ortega? But he could be on his way to GFWOAT status.

Reactions: Avs_19

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Guy I feel bad for tonight is the fella who bet 230k on Masvidal

I don't I mean Usman was getting 2.5 to win via decision vs betting 230k on Maz @ 2.7...

Pretty dumb, Mazvidal has lost over a dozen times in his career up to that fight.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I don’t consider that to be a real thing, whoever wins the fight should win the belt. Max won that fight, I do not see an argument otherwise

I just don’t understand how these judges can consistently see something that isn’t there. Happened all night
I agree completely. But thats the way it is in the UFC so i understand why it happened.

A trilogy fight is necessary

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I agree completely. But thats the way it is in the UFC so i understand why it happened.

A trilogy fight is necessary

I don't think so. I mean, I thought Max won their second meeting, but he didn't, so it's 2-0 to Volk. Time for both to move on. If a trilogy happens it should be down the line if both have won a few fights imo.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Strongly disagree. I would use the term “definitely” loosely there.

Regardless, it still doesn’t take away the ridiculousness of the initial quote from Volkanovski. There was no dominating going on.

I do agree there was no 'dominating'. Two close fights. He won the first imo. I gave the second to Max.

Reactions: h2

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Main event went as expected. Masvidal flashed a few times but Usman just outclassed him.

I had Volkanovski winning the last 3 rounds, but it was so close so couldn't argue either way. I thought Max looked great the first two rounds and was going to cruise to a win. Full credit to Volkanovski for battling back.

I thought Aldo would give Yan a good test, and he sure did through 15 minutes. Kind of exactly what you want to see in that kind of fight - younger fighter out through a tough test and then battling through it to win. I really want to see Moraes/Yan, but it sounds like Sterling will be next which is an interesting style matchup.

I know Rose won that fight based on MMA scoring, but those are the type of wins that don't feel like wins. She won the first two rounds by a bit but took a beating in round 3. Andrade was taking over that fight and Rose didn't show me anything to make me think she could beat Zhang.

Ribas did the expected on a big stage.

Seeing Oezdemir get flattened like that is impressive. What a fun addition to the top of 205.

Fun night of fights. Is that the latest a PPV card has ended?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Gotta be honest, I was at my boss/mentors house for the fights and I left when Usman got the takedown in the 5th. Never done that during a main event before

I guess we should be happy the fight happened but bleh. Overall I lost more fights than I won betting wise but the majority of my money was on a Ribas/Yan/Usman parlay so that ended up ok I guess. Probably slightly above even...breaks a 2 card streak of losing money

I think Yan and Procházka were the stories of the night. Nobody flatlines Volkan like that, he was Rumble‘s primary training partner

Yan did what I thought he would do. I liked the +200 value of Aldo but at the end of the day I still went with Yan because of my belief in him. Guys a stud, no other way to describe him. Such an incredible boxer.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Main event went as expected. Masvidal flashed a few times but Usman just outclassed him.

I had Volkanovski winning the last 3 rounds, but it was so close so couldn't argue either way. I thought Max looked great the first two rounds and was going to cruise to a win. Full credit to Volkanovski for battling back.

I thought Aldo would give Yan a good test, and he sure did through 15 minutes. Kind of exactly what you want to see in that kind of fight - younger fighter out through a tough test and then battling through it to win. I really want to see Moraes/Yan, but it sounds like Sterling will be next which is an interesting style matchup.

I know Rose won that fight based on MMA scoring, but those are the type of wins that don't feel like wins. She won the first two rounds by a bit but took a beating in round 3. Andrade was taking over that fight and Rose didn't show me anything to make me think she could beat Zhang.

Ribas did the expected on a big stage.

Seeing Oezdemir get flattened like that is impressive. What a fun addition to the top of 205.

Fun night of fights. Is that the latest a PPV card has ended?

If that had been a 5 rounder, Andrade would have won. I'm glad she didn't. She looks like a weird little juiced up man. Annoys me.

Reactions: VanillaCoke and m9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Is that your opinion, or the official ones?

official, sorry should have been more clear

I think I would have done 4 performance bonuses myself (Amirkhani, Procházka, Grant, Yan) but can’t complain with Rose and Andrade getting a bonus either. Could even make the argument for Ribas Getting one too.

I leaned Towards Amirkhani and Yan getting one because I Feel like I haven’t seen an anaconda in awhile And Yan convincingly finished a legend in a title fight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad