GDT: UFC 249

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Am I correct to assume that Tony got a full camp, given the lead-up to Brooklyn? If so, to see the performance Gaethje put in on a few weeks notice is nothing short of remarkable.

Yes but lets not discount a full camp with on and off locations, opponents, etc... It's not easy to be a fighter trying to maintain your peak for an extended period for this event either. Unusual circumstances so both had their challenges. Better fighter won tonight though.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Am I correct to assume that Tony got a full camp, given the lead-up to Brooklyn? If so, to see the performance Gaethje put in on a few weeks notice is nothing short of remarkable.

if anything, i'd bet Tony was probably overtrained. The man made weight on the previous UFC 249 date as a social media stunt. He probably peaked at the wrong time. In hindsight, really bad move

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Who is ahead of him?

Khabib, Ferguson and Justin at best.

Not Poirier or Cerrone obviously. He schooled both.

At very worst he's #3 contender but he's in that mix. Justin may be #1 contender but Poirier beat him too. Let's not forget apart from Khabib none of them seem unbeatable.

He fought Porier how long ago?

There are a handful of guys who aren't exactly names yet who I think are better.

Reactions: I am not exposed

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
The real issue is Tony/Khabib has been scheduled 5 times and hasn’t happened

Yes but that isn't always Ferguson's fault.

Either way they weren't all title fights. Ferguson should've been next after McGregor. They fought on same card UFC 229 and Tony won again. He was natural person to be next, technically should've been his fight to begin with.

Understood but I think Gaethje just proved he's a better fighter than anyone thought he was by completely schooling Ferguson tonight.

My prediction was a Justin win because I knew Tony gets sloppy. So not surprising but still didn't expect him to wear tony down.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Yes but that isn't always Ferguson's fault.

Either way they weren't all title fights. Ferguson should've been next after McGregor. They fought on same card UFC 229 and Tony won again. He was natural person to be next, technically should've been his fight to begin with.

My prediction was a Justin win because I knew Tony gets sloppy. So not surprising but still didn't expect him to wear tony down.
It’s just going to end up as one of those matchups that’s always remembered for what could’ve been

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I dunno if I'm more impressed with Justin for beating up a fighter of Tony's caliber that badly, or Tony for taking it. Holy. f***.
Tony for taking it, the shots he took were unreal....that was one hell of a beating, the guy just didn’t want to die.....respect to both!!

happy Justin won though

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Didn't think this guy had the patience

Yeah, he's a completely different fighter from the meathead that just came in and fought at kissing distance the entire fight. He protects himself more now.

Honestly, I think he could've finished Tony a couple times and didn't go for it because he knew he had it won and didn't want to risk getting caught. He would've never done that two years ago.

He did give props after, several times.

If the fight is stopped because a guy is out of it, its hard to judge him for what he does 2 seconds after. Either he's out of it or not and he clearly was at that point.

Yeeeeahhhh he got his brains beat in for 24 minutes. He's not thinking right.

Pretty much the same as Stipe shoving the ref after DC KO'ed him. He had no idea WTF was going on.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
So you are saying that they are going to diagnose Tony Ferguson with "serious brain damage" in the next few days?

He took a beating, for sure. But this is just dumb.

Idk, we see it less in MMA but it’s something that does happen in combat sports and that was a hellacious beating

I would definitely hope he spends the night in the hospital just for observations sake

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I really didn't like the Cruz-Cejudo stoppage. I agreed with Cruz's words after the fight that he was trying to stand up on his feet as the stoppage occurred. That looks pretty accurate to me on the replay. Regardless though, it's absolutely amazing to have a live sporting event back on the air to talk about. I appreciate the event bringing some semblance of normalcy back to life. Props to all the fighters for putting on a good show.

Last edited:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Tony deserves every bit of the respect he gets but even then the comments are kinda awkward lol.

"Congrats man, you got the shit kicked out of you, but you did it better than anybody else!" :laugh:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Double bonus for Gaethje (Tony also got FOTN)

Other bonus is for Francis

Hopefully Dana throws Niko and Luque some scratch too. They earned it

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
Double bonus for Gaethje (Tony also got FOTN)

Other bonus is for Francis

Hopefully Dana throws Niko and Luque some scratch too. They earned it

Kattar earned it too, that was a sick KO. Great follow up win after that Zabit loss in which he showed his potential

Reactions: CDJ

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
Understood but I think Gaethje just proved he's a better fighter than anyone thought he was by completely schooling Ferguson tonight.
Ferguson was always a sloppy mess. the only thing that really saved him the majority of the time was his chin . he undoubtedly has the chinawall chin,
hes probably taken more significant head shots in UFC history then anyone

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Starting to sink in more that this is probably the end of Tony. Really sucks he didn't get that championship fight, and those 4th and 5th rounds were just painful to watch, it was like watching an old wounded dog on its last legs.

He's probably gonna get Poirier or McGregor I'd imagine while Gaethje and Khabib duke it out and neither of those fights are exactly easy, especially with all the damage he took this fight.

Reactions: I am not exposed

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I give that card an A

It’s hilarious that Gaethje became decidedly more conservative as a fighter and is still the people’s champ. A guy like him comes around only once in a generation. It’s not about wins or losses it’s about the damn show. Who was last generations version- Lauzon?

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I really didn't like the Cruz-Cejudo stoppage. I agreed with Cruz's words after the fight that he was trying to stand up on his feet as the stoppage occurred. That looks pretty accurate to me on the replay. Regardless though, it's absolutely amazing to have a live sporting event back on the air to talk about. I appreciate the event bringing some semblance of normalcy back to life. Props to all the fighters for putting on a good show.
Unless it is something completely ridiculous and indefensible I would always rather see a fight stopped too soon rather than too late (I still think it is either a miracle or a testament to the Japanese health care system that nobody ever died fighting for Pride, particularly the name Japanese fighters who the refs were seemingly told don't stop the fight no matter how bad they were being beaten).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad