GDT: UFC 249

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Oh he said it, and he's a moron.

People always think that Ferguson is some sort of wrestler because he wrestled in college a dozen years. He hasn't offensively used his wrestling in a fight in many, many years.
You're right he hasn't really used it, but he hasn't had to. He needed to against Gaethje. His wrestling pedigree isn't on the same level as Gaethje so maybe it wouldn't have worked, but he needed to do something different. If he could have got it to the ground, he could have used his BJJ and maybe caught Gaethje in something. That was about his only shot given the way things were going on the feet. Even if the takedown failed, at least it gives Gaethje something else to think about.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
You're right he hasn't really used it, but he hasn't had to. He needed to against Gaethje. His wrestling pedigree isn't on the same level as Gaethje so maybe it wouldn't have worked, but he needed to do something different. If he could have got it to the ground, he could have used his BJJ and maybe caught Gaethje in something. That was about his only shot given the way things were going on the feet. Even if the takedown failed, at least it gives Gaethje something else to think about.

I just think this.. it wouldn't have worked.

He's just not a wrestler, what he did in college 15 years ago is pretty much irrelevant at this point. I wonder how much he even trains offensive wrestling anymore since he just figures he can outstrike everyone. Especially when he has been training for Khabib forever. He probably thought he had a better chance of landing something clean on the feet than securing a takedown and then getting a finish on the ground.. and I don't disagree with him.

It really reminds me of when Chuck Liddell lost a couple fights later in his career and people would say he should start wrestling again when he hadn't ever offensively wrestled during pretty much his entire UFC career.

Reactions: YNWA14

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I just think this.. it wouldn't have worked.

He's just not a wrestler, what he did in college 15 years ago is pretty much irrelevant at this point. I wonder how much he even trains offensive wrestling anymore since he just figures he can outstrike everyone. Especially when he has been training for Khabib forever. He probably thought he had a better chance of landing something clean on the feet than securing a takedown and then getting a finish on the ground.. and I don't disagree with him.

It really reminds me of when Chuck Liddell lost a couple fights later in his career and people would say he should start wrestling again when he hadn't ever offensively wrestled during pretty much his entire UFC career.
For sure he would prefer to keep Khabib on the feet and his camp was more about preventing takedowns and what to do if you get taken down than going for takedowns himself. Gaethje is about the exact opposite to Khabib, though.

Still, he needed to do something different because the striking wasn't working. Outside of the half assed Iminari roll, he didn't even try to get it to the ground. I don't expect him to shoot for a single leg and have it work necessary, but it would at least mix it up a little. He could have tried to pull guard or something, too. Shit, even fake a knockdown and see if Gaethje would follow him down. Something. Anything. But he didn't even try.

Reactions: m9

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
After controversial loss, Dominick Cruz claims ref smelled like 'alcohol and cigarettes'

Dominick Cruz wants the ref to be investigated after his loss to Henry Cejudo at UFC 249 on Saturday. Cruz — who lost after the ref stopped the fight late in the second round— claims referee Keith Peterson smelled like “alcohol and cigarettes” before the fight..

Did you guys see this? I was listening to Big John's podcast yesterday and it came up. He said Peterson doesn't even drink. Interesting.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This is re-airing on TSN right now for those who missed it or want to watch again.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
This is re-airing on TSN right now for those who missed it or want to watch again.

I watched it again sober(was pretty drunk by the time the main event came around when live) and holy hell did Ferguson take a beating. Also, I can understand both sides of the Cruz stoppage. Ref saw him taking a bunch of unanswered shots at made the decision to stop the fight, unfortunately it happened right as Cruz was starting to standup. Also I think there was only a couple seconds left in the round which makes it that much more unfortunate. But at the same time, and Cruz even said it himself, he put himself in that position by getting tagged by that big knee.

Reactions: Avs_19 and m9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad