GDT: UFC 249

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Yeah Khabib is not losing to Gaethje. I've always thought Gaethje stylistically would be the tougher matchup for Khabib compared to Tony and Conor. But Khabib is on another level. Tony didn't even shoot for the takedown once. Even though Gaethje has good takedown defense, Khabib is a god amongst men when it comes to wrestling and I think he'll continue his ground and pound ways against Gaethje and remain the champion. 29-0

And there were plenty of people that said Tony wouldn't lose to Gaethje. Yet Gaethje dominated him.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think Ferguson's reaction at the end was more frustration with his performance and frustration with the stoppage vs something else.

Reactions: I am not exposed

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Idk, we see it less in MMA but it’s something that does happen in combat sports and that was a hellacious beating

I would definitely hope he spends the night in the hospital just for observations sake

Yes, suggesting he will be spending the night in hospital is a reasonable response. Suggesting he has serious brain damage that will be diagnosed within a few days is not.

Reactions: CDJ

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
So what gets the most blame for Tony v Khabib never happening?

Gaethje, Tony, electrical wires, Covid-19, Khabib, or Tiramisu?

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Gaethje was really on last night but I think I was more impressed with Tony's ability to absorb all that damage. That was insane. Justin was more calculated although I thought there were a few times he could have finished Tony if he kept going.

Henry retiring for what I assume is a big payday down the road is interesting. The problem is that division just doesn't sell PPV's, I'm sure he will get some decent money down the road for a return fight.

I think Cowboy needs to think about hanging them up soon as I think all he's going to become is the gatekeeper to get into the top 10. Pettis won but wasn't impressive either IMO.

I would have liked to see Hardy press the action as he clearly had the advantage after the injury.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Gaethje was really on last night but I think I was more impressed with Tony's ability to absorb all that damage. That was insane. Justin was more calculated although I thought there were a few times he could have finished Tony if he kept going.

Henry retiring for what I assume is a big payday down the road is interesting. The problem is that division just doesn't sell PPV's, I'm sure he will get some decent money down the road for a return fight.

I think Cowboy needs to think about hanging them up soon as I think all he's going to become is the gatekeeper to get into the top 10. Pettis won but wasn't impressive either IMO.

I would have liked to see Hardy press the action as he clearly had the advantage after the injury.

I don't know what fight Cejudo could come back for that would be a money fight. Sure, a 3rd fight with DJ at some point would be nice but it's not even a PPV headliner. And when your biggest potential fight isn't even a headliner, you aren't getting that big payday.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I don't know what fight Cejudo could come back for that would be a money fight. Sure, a 3rd fight with DJ at some point would be nice but it's not even a PPV headliner. And when your biggest potential fight isn't even a headliner, you aren't getting that big payday.

I think his comeback would be the largest 0r maybe he goes to Bellator for a fight with DJ. Either way, people don't care about that division as much.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think his comeback would be the largest 0r maybe he goes to Bellator for a fight with DJ. Either way, people don't care about that division as much.

Cejudo is very likely still under a contract, he can't just go to Bellator. Not that DJ is there anyways.

But yeah, he'll be back. Maybe not in 2020, but sometime next year.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Cejudo is very likely still under a contract, he can't just go to Bellator. Not that DJ is there anyways.

But yeah, he'll be back. Maybe not in 2020, but sometime next year.

I thought his contract was up but maybe I'm wrong, and correct DJ is at One. Yeah, I still think it's a ploy to get more money out of the UFC for his next fight.

Reactions: m9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yes, suggesting he will be spending the night in hospital is a reasonable response. Suggesting he has serious brain damage that will be diagnosed within a few days is not.

he’s had serious brain damage long before this fight

I certainly wouldn’t have phrased it like that poster did but if (god forbid) you told me that tony Ferguson had bleeding in his brain last night I wouldn’t have been shocked. I think Gaethje would have knocked out a regular dude like 8 times in that fight

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Gaethje now has 9 fight bonuses in 7 fights. His hands are going to be sore the next few days. They looked pretty bruised at the post fight presser.

in his interview with rogan his finger was gushing blood, looked like he was gonna need stitches. May have broken his hand too, he landed so many major shots on an alien skull

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think Khabib vs Gaethje could go either way but I know this

Gaethje is an early +245 dog and I’m not passing that up. Khabibs not gonna knock him out on the feet and Gaethje has both the wrestling and violence to make Khabib hesitate.

He has faced great wrestlers before and mauled them though

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I’m just glad we can now stop acting like Tony is a god of MMA. The guy is durable for sure, but incredibly overrated.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Gutted that we'll never see Tony-Khabib, but Gaethje isn't an automatic win for Khabib.

Great tactical approach from Gaethje. Played defensively, picked his spots, and repeatedly hammered Tony when presented with an opening.

If he can keep the fight upright and land blows like he did in this one, he can beat Khabib.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Welp, didn't see that coming. The first couple of rounds went as I expected. Gaethje swinging for the fences and Tony eating them. I thought Tony would turn the tides the deeper the fight went, but he was just not able to really get his offense going and Gaethje's cardio held up. The high pressure-great cardio-insane chin but with little power guys haven't been faring too well lately. Max vs. Poirier and Volkanovski. Nate vs. Masvidal. Now Tony vs. Gaethje. Probably some other examples, too, but I thought Max was going to win both, Tony would win, and I didn't think Nate would win, but I didn't expect it to be that lopsided, either. Maybe that era is over in MMA?

I'm still very disappointed we don't get to see undefeated Khabib vs. 13 fight win streak Tony, but Khabib-Gaethje is a fascinating matchup. Khabib's fought wrestlers before, but I don't think he's fought anyone with Gathje's pedigree let alone combined with Gaethje's striking. Especially this safer more calculating Gaethje. I can't pick against Khabib, but it's a damn good fight and most likely going to be Khabib's toughest test to date.

I thought the Cejudo-Cruz stoppage was early. Not egregious, but I thought Cruz was pretty clearly defending himself by trying to get to different positions to try to get back to his feet. I feel for Dom. With everything he's gone through and then he seemed to be finding his range a little before he ate that knee. Then for it to end like that. Props to Cejudo, though. He keeps finding ways to get it done. I don't know if we've seen the last of him, but it was good to see him drop the King of Cringe schtick.

Francis...yeah.

Kattar looked great. Stephens seems to always kind of burn himself out early and Kattar was able to keep moving and avoid those shots. Stephens is a tough SOB, though, so to drop him like that was impressive.

Cowboy-Pettis was a good fight. Even putting my Cowboy bias aside, I thought he won. The striking was really close and Cowboy had the takedowns. I wonder if the ref not seeing the eye poke had an influence on the judge's decisions.

I thought Werdum looked terrible. A loss is one thing, but to get boxed up like that by Oleinik in the first round was not a good look. Calling that a 10-8 round wouldn't be out of the question IMO.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
It's funny... Because I had mentioned before the fight started how every time I see that ref he looks plastered.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
rewatched it a few times, last night I thought it was maybe a little early but it's a fine stoppage, Cruz doesn't have a leg to stand on here...

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Welp, didn't see that coming. The first couple of rounds went as I expected. Gaethje swinging for the fences and Tony eating them. I thought Tony would turn the tides the deeper the fight went, but he was just not able to really get his offense going and Gaethje's cardio held up. The high pressure-great cardio-insane chin but with little power guys haven't been faring too well lately. Max vs. Poirier and Volkanovski. Nate vs. Masvidal. Now Tony vs. Gaethje. Probably some other examples, too, but I thought Max was going to win both, Tony would win, and I didn't think Nate would win, but I didn't expect it to be that lopsided, either. Maybe that era is over in MMA?

I'm still very disappointed we don't get to see undefeated Khabib vs. 13 fight win streak Tony, but Khabib-Gaethje is a fascinating matchup. Khabib's fought wrestlers before, but I don't think he's fought anyone with Gathje's pedigree let alone combined with Gaethje's striking. Especially this safer more calculating Gaethje. I can't pick against Khabib, but it's a damn good fight and most likely going to be Khabib's toughest test to date.

I thought the Cejudo-Cruz stoppage was early. Not egregious, but I thought Cruz was pretty clearly defending himself by trying to get to different positions to try to get back to his feet. I feel for Dom. With everything he's gone through and then he seemed to be finding his range a little before he ate that knee. Then for it to end like that. Props to Cejudo, though. He keeps finding ways to get it done. I don't know if we've seen the last of him, but it was good to see him drop the King of Cringe schtick.

Francis...yeah.

Kattar looked great. Stephens seems to always kind of burn himself out early and Kattar was able to keep moving and avoid those shots. Stephens is a tough SOB, though, so to drop him like that was impressive.

Cowboy-Pettis was a good fight. Even putting my Cowboy bias aside, I thought he won. The striking was really close and Cowboy had the takedowns. I wonder if the ref not seeing the eye poke had an influence on the judge's decisions.

I thought Werdum looked terrible. A loss is one thing, but to get boxed up like that by Oleinik in the first round was not a good look. Calling that a 10-8 round wouldn't be out of the question IMO.

The worst part about Werdum is that was his standup vs a guy who doesn't have good standup. He is going to get demolished by anyone who can punch at HW. Completely finished at this point in terms of being a top 10 guy.

Cowboy didn't do anything at all with the takedowns so it's hard to factor them in much. I think Cowboy probably took Rd 3 though. Hard to see either guy hanging with guys in the top 5 of either 155 or 170.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The worst part about Werdum is that was his standup vs a guy who doesn't have good standup. He is going to get demolished by anyone who can punch at HW. Completely finished at this point in terms of being a top 10 guy.

Cowboy didn't do anything at all with the takedowns so it's hard to factor them in much. I think Cowboy probably took Rd 3 though. Hard to see either guy hanging with guys in the top 5 of either 155 or 170.
Cowboy didn't do much with the takedowns, but they still count for something IMO. And when the striking is that close, it can be enough to swing rounds. All 3 judges gave round 3 to Pettis.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It's funny... Because I had mentioned before the fight started how every time I see that ref he looks plastered.

I think Peterson is one of the better refs other than some questionable stand ups at times and there were no other issues last night. Assuming this is untrue, it's a bad look for Cruz.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
With Cejudo retiring (for now), now would be the time for a Moraes-Sterling-Yan-Sandhagen tournament.

That'd be fun and probably the most deserving way to do things but I think Dana dislikes that type of approach for some reason. They want to have a champion immediately so it sounds like it'll be Yan vs. one of those three for the belt if Cejudo really does retire. Having those four contenders on one card in the summer and then the winners fighting for the belt at the end of the year would be great.

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
And there were plenty of people that said Tony wouldn't lose to Gaethje. Yet Gaethje dominated him.

There was a lot of people that said Gaethje would win and that Tony should have just waited.
Most of the people that said Tony would win were listening to their hearts because they wanted Tony vs Khabib to happen next.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad