GDT: UFC 249

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't know what it is, but I'm not as excited about this card as I think I should be. Maybe it's still the uncertainty? Maybe it's because I'm not really dying to see any individual fight other than the main event (even though I'm interested in nearly every fight)? Maybe it's because Tony-Gaethje seems like a let down after being so close to Khabib-Tony...again (even though objectively, it's a hell of a fight)? I don't know. Anyway...

I'll take Tony by 4th round TKO. I think his chin and cardio will wear down Gaethje much like Poirier and Alvarez did. Until Tony loses, I just can't pick against him. At least until he fights Khabib.

I'll take Cejudo by decision. Just too many unknowns with Cruz's layoff and age. I think Cejduo will be faster and even though he's smaller, I think his wrestling could come into play as well.

Francis by 1st round KO. Hopefully it doesn't turn into Francis-Lewis 2.

Other than that, Cowboy-Pettis is a good fight between 2 guys at similar points in their career. Both need a win badly. I wish both guys could win, but I think Cowboy needs it a little more, so I'll be rooting for him. Interesting to see Werdum back. It's kind of rare to see 2 good grapplers in HW. I think Werdum of old would be an easy pick, but is he the same after 2 years and at age 42? I'd still pick him, but who knows. Really didn't think we'd ever see him again. The rest of the card are good fights (except maybe Hardy- de Castro). Hopefully we get there with it intact and everyone comes out of it without any coronavirus complications.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
I don't know what it is, but I'm not as excited about this card as I think I should be. Maybe it's still the uncertainty? Maybe it's because I'm not really dying to see any individual fight other than the main event (even though I'm interested in nearly every fight)? Maybe it's because Tony-Gaethje seems like a let down after being so close to Khabib-Tony...again (even though objectively, it's a hell of a fight)? I don't know. Anyway...

I'll take Tony by 4th round TKO. I think his chin and cardio will wear down Gaethje much like Poirier and Alvarez did. Until Tony loses, I just can't pick against him. At least until he fights Khabib.

I'll take Cejudo by decision. Just too many unknowns with Cruz's layoff and age. I think Cejduo will be faster and even though he's smaller, I think his wrestling could come into play as well.

Francis by 1st round KO. Hopefully it doesn't turn into Francis-Lewis 2.

Other than that, Cowboy-Pettis is a good fight between 2 guys at similar points in their career. Both need a win badly. I wish both guys could win, but I think Cowboy needs it a little more, so I'll be rooting for him. Interesting to see Werdum back. It's kind of rare to see 2 good grapplers in HW. I think Werdum of old would be an easy pick, but is he the same after 2 years and at age 42? I'd still pick him, but who knows. Really didn't think we'd ever see him again. The rest of the card are good fights (except maybe Hardy- de Castro). Hopefully we get there with it intact and everyone comes out of it without any coronavirus complications.
Pretty sure it's just the uncertainty everyone's been feeling. Tony - Gaethje will be crazy, guaranteed. The other two of the top three fights could be headlining any PPV. Any fight with Stephens or Hardy has got me watching and the undercard could be a PPV on its own. Jacare and Hall near the bottom is nuts, but its arguably where it belongs on this card. Starting to get a little optimistic this hasn't been cancelled yet.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Pretty sure it's just the uncertainty everyone's been feeling. Tony - Gaethje will be crazy, guaranteed. The other two of the top three fights could be headlining any PPV. Any fight with Stephens or Hardy has got me watching and the undercard could be a PPV on its own. Jacare and Hall near the bottom is nuts, but its arguably where it belongs on this card. Starting to get a little optimistic this hasn't been cancelled yet.
I hear you. My point is that I'm not as excited as I think I should be for how objectively good the card is.

But I think you're overselling it here. Tony-Gaethje is a banger. For sure. But is still somewhat of a letdown after being so close to Khabib-Tony. Cejudo-Cruz is interesting, but it's silly Cruz is getting a title shot nearly 4 years after his last win. Francis-Rozenstruik is not a PPV headliner without a belt on the line. I like Stephens, but he isn't a must watch for me either. I couldn't care much less about watching Hardy. No way the undercard is a PPV unless it is 2013 again. It would be a good Fight Night, though.

Reactions: I am not exposed

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
All the fighters should be getting to Jacksonville soon. I take there will not be normal weigh-in presser or promos.
I thought I saw/heard Dana said there would still be the usual weigh ins just without an audience. But I can't find it anywhere now.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
This card is unreal. Maybe I'll see if i can project it off my garage and have people over for a fire or something seeing how no one is allowed inside my home, haha.

Reactions: CDJ

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I hear you. My point is that I'm not as excited as I think I should be for how objectively good the card is.

But I think you're overselling it here. Tony-Gaethje is a banger. For sure. But is still somewhat of a letdown after being so close to Khabib-Tony. Cejudo-Cruz is interesting, but it's silly Cruz is getting a title shot nearly 4 years after his last win. Francis-Rozenstruik is not a PPV headliner without a belt on the line. I like Stephens, but he isn't a must watch for me either. I couldn't care much less about watching Hardy. No way the undercard is a PPV unless it is 2013 again. It would be a good Fight Night, though.

I've thought about this because I've been feeling the same way. I'm sure part of it is just the overall uncertainty. I also think that I've been a bit tuned out of sports in general lately (aside from the NFL draft) because there's absolutely nothing going on. It's not even like it's the off-season so you can follow that side of sports, there is just literally nothing so I'm not really tuned into sports media.

But more than anything to me I think it's because these two main fights that were put together while great on paper have had no lead-up or build-up so there's no juice behind them. Ferguson/Gaethje is an amazing fight, but it's an interim title in a division that has a dominant champ. We also have been waiting for Khabib/Ferguson, so of course it will be a let-down.

Cruz/Cejudo is just completely out of left-field. I have no idea what version of Cruz shows up. I want to see someone challenge and beat Cejudo, but is Cruz that guy? Even if he is, then what? Do we really think Cruz is going to go back to being a regular, healthy champion at this stage of his career?

Maybe I'll come around by the end of the week, but this is just where I'm at now. I'm pretty sure (knowing myself) that if this card goes off without a hitch then I'll be right back fully into the UFC again. I'm just not quite there yet.. but I'll get there. And I'm looking forward to getting there because the thought of multiple UFC cards a week coming up sounds pretty great.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
As for the actual fights...

I've said it before but I think Gaethje has a chance in the first 7-8 minutes. Ferguson starts slow and Gaethje hits hard. So if Gaethje came out and finished this one in two minutes it shouldn't shock anyone. That said, I have Ferguson by TKO in the 4th round.

Dom Cruz is one of the smartest fighters around and I have no doubt he'll have a great gameplan vs Cejudo. I just don't know if he's still good enough to execute it. I will go Cejudo by decision here, but I think it's going to be really, really close.

I think Ngannou, Kattar, and Hardy will all win. Ngannou is on another level than Rozenstruik at this point. Kattar I think is just too quick for Stephens and will pick him apart for 3 rounds. Don't have much of a feel on Hardy but he's looked better every fight out.

I have a tough time with Cerrone/Pettis, and part of it is because these are two of my favorite fighters of all-time. I will take Pettis to win a decision though, his kicks will be too much.

I like Oleinik over Werdum. He's been active and has done well against some top guys while Werdum has been off. Werdum was in awful shape at the end of his UFC run.

Have to think Jacare beats Hall. Hopefully he does the smart thing and takes the fight to the ground immediately.

Reactions: Avs_19

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
One thing that may be overlooked with Pettis-Cowboy...it is at 170. Both are of course really 155'ers, but Pettis has fought at 145 and Cowboy had a legitimate, albeit unsuccessful, run at 170. I don't know that it's enough to change the outcome of their first fight, but Cowboy will be the bigger guy. Maybe Cowboy's a little more durable than their first fight without as much of a cut. Maybe it's a little too much weight for Pettis to be at his best and he's a little slower than their first fight.

Reactions: member 51464

member 51464

That's a great point. A loss here would be four in a row for cowboy, the longest skid of his career.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Pettis fought 2 of his last 3 fights at 170 as well, has the exact same reach and neither guy is really known for their wrestling so I don't really know how much the weight class matters.

member 51464

Pettis fought 2 of his last 3 fights at 170 as well, has the exact same reach and neither guy is really known for their wrestling so I don't really know how much the weight class matters.
Wasn't his only win there over Wonderboy after Wonderboy was dominating and got caught? I don't know. I'd think Cowboy's frame could help, but meh. I am not actually that excited for this particular fight. It is just too names with shine on them due to accomplishments getting further in the rearview every day.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
He was getting his ass kicked by Wonderboy and was decisively beat by Nate who's also really a 155er.

You're also not considering how weight effects performance. It's not all about the measureables.

Reactions: member 51464

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
He was getting his ass kicked by Wonderboy and was decisively beat by Nate who's also really a 155er.

You're also not considering how weight effects performance. It's not all about the measureables.

I'm just saying it's a bit odd to bring up Pettis making 145lbs once 4 years ago (he missed weight the other time) like it's a big deal without mentioning that Pettis has fought at 170lbs twice much more recently.

I guess my point is I don't think the weight matters. I just think that if Cerrone wins it is less about the weight and more about how much Pettis has fallen off since their first fight.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
This is the most excited I’ve ever been to watch fights.
That's a great point. A loss here would be four in a row for cowboy, the longest skid of his career.
He got wrecked in his last two fights too, wonder if he considers hanging them up if he loses.

Knowing him though he’d be fighting again in a month though lol

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Any chance they increase the paperview price to cash in on being the only sport?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad