GDT: UFC 234: Whittaker vs. Gastelum

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

That could work in April if everyone's healthy. I don't know what the timeline for Whittaker is going to be but that would give him plenty of time to get healthy and return sometime in the summer. Make the fight in April for the interim title if you really need to and that way you can just strip Whittaker as well if he gets hurt again like they did with Cruz/Barao a few years back.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Probably really optimistic, but Dana said Whittaker would be out 4 weeks. I bet we see him back in April or May.

I'm no professional athlete and everyone reacts differently, but I had this exact surgery recently and I am 100% comfortable saying there is zero chance he fights in April. I would be pretty surprised if he fights in May.

June is the earliest I could see it, but I would guess like August.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I wonder why the UFC hasn’t done a better job preparing for people dropping out of big fights on short notice.

Pay a guy like Jacare to stay in shape as an alternate. The amount they’d pay him is nothing compared to the millions in ticket sales and PPV buys they’re going to lose tonight.

They have done this for a bunch of title fights recently but not tonight. They obviously had trouble getting bodies for this card.

And let's be honest - if you can get Jacare to do that, might as well just pay him more and get him a fight with someone on the main card. This card could have used him anyway.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm no professional athlete and everyone reacts differently, but I had this exact surgery recently and I am 100% comfortable saying there is zero chance he fights in April. I would be pretty surprised if he fights in May.

June is the earliest I could see it, but I would guess like August.

Just to add - Dede Westbrook of the Jaguars had a similar injury in-season and was playing in games a bit over 3 months later. That sounds right to me. I think Whittaker will need 2 months, then a camp, then whatever date the schedule allows. 4 months, all things considered, seems like a more realistic timeframe than what Dana said.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I wonder how many fights into a PPV card we can go without talking about an actual fight. 6 down so far. Shows how bad this card is.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I wonder how many fights into a PPV card we can go without talking about an actual fight. 6 down so far. Shows how bad this card is.

Haha. That was a nice finish by Smith though. Landed some combinations and then tried to punch his head through the mat when he was already out.

I'm not sure about this "I'm the champion now" gimmick Gastleum is rolling with.

Reactions: m9

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
God, i love Chael. Nobody else would offer to fight in another promotions main event on 12 hours notice. And apparantly, Belator gave him their blessing.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
God, i love Chael. Nobody else would offer to fight in another promotions main event on 12 hours notice. And apparantly, Belator gave him their blessing.

It was clearly a joke by Sonnen if you listened to the whole interview. He even talked about how if you're a fighter you can just always say you'll step in (like Cowboy did) because you know the commission won't allow it so you get some free good publicity.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Didn't know either of them but Montana dominated her.

She has a very good ground game. She was on TUF a few seasons back and was extremely raw with a good ground game. Not sure about the quality of either fighter and how that's a PPV fight, but a win is a win.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
It was clearly a joke by Sonnen if you listened to the whole interview. He even talked about how if you're a fighter you can just always say you'll step in (like Cowboy did) because you know the commission won't allow it so you get some free good publicity.

Sorry man, I can't understand what you're saying. I'm a devote follower :laugh:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Dom Cruz is just all over the place tonight. He's been a mess with screw-ups or little comments that make no sense.

member 51464

No audio where I was watching, wtf was Kelvin doing with a built? f*** that guy.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I want to give Vannata props but the other dude looked awful on the ground. Surprising since he’s a Brazilian who trains with Anderson’s crew.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad