GDT: UFC 234: Whittaker vs. Gastelum

h2

Mar 26, 2002
It was a chess match, pure striking on display here, I enjoyed watching it as a fan of martial arts and perhaps one of the last occasions to watch Silva in the Octagon.

Reactions: Morozov and Avs_19

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
This PPV was so weak even before Whittaker had to withdraw. I was hoping it was going to be one of those nights where even though there isn't big names on the card, there will be great fights. Sadly, that wasn't the case. I thought the Anderson/Israel was like an exhibition as another poster already pointed out. The Lando/Montana wins were so dominate, but the opposition seemed so weak. Especially Marcos. The Ricky Simon/Rani Yahya fight was probably the best fight of the night. Glad I watched this for free!

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Probably really optimistic, but Dana said Whittaker would be out 4 weeks. I bet we see him back in April or May.

I'm no professional athlete and everyone reacts differently, but I had this exact surgery recently and I am 100% comfortable saying there is zero chance he fights in April. I would be pretty surprised if he fights in May.

June is the earliest I could see it, but I would guess like August.

Just for an update on Whittaker, here's the timeline for a return:

Whittaker discharged after bowel, hernia surgery

Dana White out to lunch on this one, no surprise. Whittaker's manager gives the correct June-August timeline.

Hoping they sneak in that Gastelum/Adesanya fight for at least an interim belt in the meantime.

Reactions: Avs_19

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Just for an update on Whittaker, here's the timeline for a return:

Whittaker discharged after bowel, hernia surgery

Dana White out to lunch on this one, no surprise. Whittaker's manager gives the correct June-August timeline.

Hoping they sneak in that Gastelum/Adesanya fight for at least an interim belt in the meantime.

I think Gastelum/Adesanya for an interim belt makes sense in this case, maybe on that April PPV.

Reactions: pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think Gastelum/Adesanya for an interim belt makes sense in this case, maybe on that April PPV.

Yeah, agreed. I can't get behind interim belts too often but I think this time it makes sense.
I'm not a big fan of interim belts either, but this one makes sense. Especially since Dana said Stylebender-Anderson was for the #1 contender spot. Both Stylebender and Gastelum are going to feel like they deserve a title shot, so they are probably going to sit out until Whittaker is back unless they make the interim belt. I think both would be game.

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I would also be fine with just stripping Whittaker since he cannot defend his belt within 12 months and then start that as the new rule going forward, thus eliminating interim belts.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I would also be fine with just stripping Whittaker since he cannot defend his belt within 12 months and then start that as the new rule going forward, thus eliminating interim belts.
I'd be good with that, too, but with the way Dana stuck up for him already, I doubt he'd then turn around and strip him....and I don't expect the UFC to ever give up the power of just being able to decide on a case by case basis. It would probably take a fighter's union to give that up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad