GDT: UFC 234: Whittaker vs. Gastelum

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
They need to make this a free card. They won’t, but they should.

It's hard with how PPV works. The easiest solution is tell people if they buy tonight's card through fight pass they will get UFC235 for free. Not sure if they will do it, but that should be the plan.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
I’ll probably tune in for one fight now.

f*** sakes I’ve been looking forward to this one for a while now

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Whaaaaaaaaat!?!

This really sucks. Sucks for Whittaker, Gastelum, the UFC, the Aussie fans.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I should wait until more details come out, but this is brutal on Whittaker's part. Likely he knew about the hernia for some time and was trying to fight through it and maybe have the surgery after the fight.

I've had a hernia, some days it hurts and some days it doesn't. Guess he had a bad day and the MRI showed that it had gotten worse.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I should wait until more details come out, but this is brutal on Whittaker's part. Likely he knew about the hernia for some time and was trying to fight through it and maybe have the surgery after the fight.

I've had a hernia, some days it hurts and some days it doesn't. Guess he had a bad day and the MRI showed that it had gotten worse.
Whittaker is a bandaid unfortunately. Real shame cause he's such a complete fighter and has potential to be an all time great. Still young too.

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Just to add, Whittaker apparently had bloating, abdominal pain and vomiting late last night.

If you eat too much or eat too late (before bed) with a hernia, these exact things will happen. Have to think the weight cut, weigh in, and then what I assume was him eating alot afterwards were the triggers.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I believe last time UFC had an event planned in Australia Whittaker had to pull out of that one too
Yep. He was supposed to fight Rockhold in Australia, but pulled out. Romero stepped in for an interim belt, but he missed weight.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So is this a free card now? because there is no way they should be able to charge $60+ for this now.

I usually buy every PPV I don't know if I can justify buying this even if it is Silva's last fight

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I know you can't always plan for freak occurrences like this but they really need to have a top 5ish fighter show up and make weight as a fill-in. Sure it costs you $20k-$50k or whatever but it's peanuts in the scheme of things.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I had a funny feeling something bad was going to happen to one of the top two fights on this card.

If it was Gastelum that had pulled out, I wonder if they would've offered Adesanya the title shot? On that same note, I wonder if there was any discussion about bumping him up to fight Gastelum for an interim belt?

Either way, glad I'm watching this one at the bar!

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I know you can't always plan for freak occurrences like this but they really need to have a top 5ish fighter show up and make weight as a fill-in. Sure it costs you $20k-$50k or whatever but it's peanuts in the scheme of things.
For a PPV card that was only 2 fights deep to begin with and a headliner that has had numerous injury problems, yeah, a back up plan would have been a good idea.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
The next PPV prelims are a lot better than this main card. I hope Silva can perform some sort of his old magic for an interesting main event but don't expect it after another two years.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Still can’t believe they didn’t discount the PPV at least. Like f***, make it $29.99 or something. No way I would pay $65 for this, and I wouldn’t if the main event was still intact either.

Reactions: Jasper

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Still can’t believe they didn’t discount the PPV at least. Like ****, make it $29.99 or something. No way I would pay $65 for this, and I wouldn’t if the main event was still intact either.

I'm guessing there are a lot of people that just buy every PPV regardless of the quality. The UFC probably knows this and discounting at this point probably doesn't convince many people at all to buy it that normally wouldn't.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Sonnen talking about how the UFC should go to "fight within 365 days or get stripped of the title" and I think it's time to just do it. That way it's a fair rule for everyone, no judgement calls.

That would be June for Whittaker, and there's no way he's ready for then.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Once again, the fans trying to attend the UFC get really screwed. The last 3 PPV cards have been moved from Vegas to LA, cancelled entirely, and now this.

Reactions: Avs_19

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
I wonder why the UFC hasn’t done a better job preparing for people dropping out of big fights on short notice.

Pay a guy like Jacare to stay in shape as an alternate. The amount they’d pay him is nothing compared to the millions in ticket sales and PPV buys they’re going to lose tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad