News Article: UFA and RFA next year...what do you want?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Markov - KEEP - He's at the point in his career where I hope he does the responsible thing and goes contract-to-contract. 1 year deal is ideal for about 5 million.

Diaz - GOES - Soften's up our defense as a whole, can be replaced either within the organization or via FA.

Bouillon - GOES - A good soldier over the years, retires a hab.

White - STAYS - A good 4th line forward who wears his heart on his sleeve, can be a 13th forward if needed. 900 k.

PARROS - GOES - A good team guy, he just can't play the game. Probably the best fighter we've had in a long time though.

Gionta - GOES - Love the captain. However I think it is fairly obvious that there simply isn't a place for him anymore. Gallagher can eat up his minutes and we have Briere locked up for 1 more.

Murray - GOES - Nothing needs to be said here.

Generally agree here...but I don't thinking signing 1yr contracts is responsible FOR Markov. It's responsible for the team but I can't see why Markov would/should do this.

There will have to be some give & take on both sides to get this deal done, I think salary is the issue but years will likely be the sticking point

penalty shot*

Markov: re-sign before the trade deadline for 2 years and less than 6 millions/year or trade for a 1st round pick + good prospect

Gionta: trade for a 1st round pick if the Habs add a 3rd or 4th round pick like the Gaustad trade.

Subban: sign 8 years between 6.5 and 8 millions/year. Should have been already re-sign.

Eller: Less than 4 millions/year too inconsistent in his effort and points production.

Diaz: trade for a 2nd round pick+ long shot prospect

Markov - trade him , cant play d , and will not be a playoff player if we get there
nice run in Montreal , but ship to a contender like you did with Rivet

Gio- is worth a third at best and some slug prospect

Eller- 3-3.5 mil a year a keeper

Diaz - trade him , soft as butter , easily replaceable

Cube- enjoy retirement

PK - give him a Kessel deal and move on

the rest your services are no longer required

The Right Price

May 9, 2010
Markov - Re-sign
Gionta - Re-sign, but only for a sum under/or 2.5
Subban - Re-sign
Bouillon - Bye Bye
Murray - Bye Bye
Eller - Re-sign
Diaz - Bye Bye
Parros - Bye Bye
White - Bye Bye
Leblanc - Re-sign

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
Markov: 2y less than 5 per

Gionta: let him walk

Subban: 8x8

Eller: Less than 4 millions/year x2-3y

Diaz: trade

Parros: don't know yet

White 1-2 years

Bouillon: let him walk

Murray: bye

Feintastic

Jun 22, 2013
Markov - We still need him, I feel like he wants alot of money tho. If Bergevin can not sign him I just hope he wont lose him for nothing and try to trade him.

Gionta - Whatever is value is...I dont even care... Bergevin needs to get rid of/trade him. He's getting old and he's too small !!!:rant: But guess what ? He will keep him and re-sign him haha trust me !

Subban - Give him the golden key of the city and build him a crystal castle.

Bouillon - I respect Frank but now its time to leave little warrior.

Murray - Maybe as a 7th-8th ? lol he can leave.

Eller - Keep him.

Diaz - Sign or move him. They will keep him.

Parros - Let him go sell his mustaches and ''violent gentlement'' T-shirts elsewhere, he's a businessman not a hockey player.

White - Sign for cheap.

penalty shot*

Markov - We still need him, I feel like he wants alot of money tho. If Bergevin can not sign him I just hope he wont lose him for nothing and try to trade him.

Gionta - Whatever is value is...I dont even care... Bergevin needs to get rid of/trade him. He's getting old and he's too small !!!:rant: But guess what ? He will keep him and re-sign him haha trust me !

Subban - Give him the golden key of the city and build him a crystal castle.

Bouillon - I respect Frank but now its time to leave little warrior.

Murray - Maybe as a 7th-8th ? lol he can leave.

Eller - Keep him.

Diaz - Sign or move him. They will keep him.

Parros - Let him go sell his mustaches and ''violent gentlement'' T-shirts elsewhere, he's a businessman not a hockey player.

White - Sign for cheap.

there is no way both Markov and Diaz stay

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
gionta worth a first round pick? You must be kidding right, we would be lucky to get a third. Though, I agree, we need to move Gionta, Diaz for something then to lose them for nothing. Eller we keep but I wont give him more then 1 or 2 years AT ALL. Markov one more year...., we need one day or another try to visualize our team without him. Beaulien, Nygren have both the potential to be good in this league especially Beaulieu who I saw him take good shots.

Feintastic

Jun 22, 2013
There's really something behind the decision of dumping Don Meehan... Markov knows that the ''big money'' is for Subban and he must be jealous.

That's just a feeling... I really feel like if Bergevin offers less than 18 millions for 3 years then Markov will run away. Markov is here since the beginning, have experience, responsible defensively and elite offensively... Sure Subban is alot younger but if they give him 7-8 milli for 6-7-8 years I bet Markov will be a shark.

Its sad to say but if I have to pick only one its Subban, he's alot younger. I would try to trade Markov...even I'd really like to keep him man...I dont know...I doubt he will be back next year(if we dont pay him enough I mean).

Feintastic

Jun 22, 2013
gionta worth a first round pick? You must be kidding right, we would be lucky to get a third. Though, I agree, we need to move Gionta, Diaz for something then to lose them for nothing. Eller we keep but I wont give him more then 1 or 2 years AT ALL. Markov one more year...., we need one day or another try to visualize our team without him. Beaulien, Nygren have both the potential to be good in this league especially Beaulieu who I saw him take good shots.

Lol yup... we will never get a 1st pick with Gionta

Maybe a late 2nd ? or 3rd yup.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Markov - KEEP HIM, 3 years maximum
Gionta - bôbye
Subban - KEEP HIM obviously 8X8M
Bouillon - bôbye
Murray -bôbye
Eller - KEEP HIM
Diaz - bôbye, trade him I guess
Parros - bôbye
White - KEEP HIM, great 4th liner

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Guys, you wont get anything in trade for Gionta. Nobody is going to take his $5M salary to add to their cap unless you take a $5M dud back in return.

It's more than just player ability in trades, contracts are just as important a factor in salary cap leagues.

Gionta will just go UFA at the end of the year.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Guys, you wont get anything in trade for Gionta. Nobody is going to take his $5M salary to add to their cap unless you take a $5M dud back in return.

It's more than just player ability in trades, contracts are just as important a factor in salary cap leagues.

Gionta will just go UFA at the end of the year.

He likely wouldn't be traded until the deadline when the money paid him would be much less. Then he's UFA.
Rental.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Re-sign
- Subban
- Markov
- Eller
- White

Let go
- Gionta
- Parros
- Boullion
- Dias
- Murray

UFA from other teams, I would be very interested in pretty much any of the NYR UFAs, in this order - Girardi, Callahan, Gaborik, Boyle

Maybe some interest in Kulemin too

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
It's hard to really make a call on the UFA's though, unless it leaked out what it takes to get them signed.

Diaz at 2-2.75 x 2-3 years is a no brainer to re-sign but if he costs 3.5-4/year then its potentially a hard cap hit to fit in.

Markov I think they have to re-sign unless he wants 6.5-7 mil over 3-4 years. I think he'll get a raise but 2 years at 12 mil or 3 years at 17 mil(6.5+6+4.5) is quite low risk. His play so far is at a high level, been excellent at both ends(except Thursday's giveaway).

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's hard to really make a call on the UFA's though, unless it leaked out what it takes to get them signed.

Diaz at 2-2.75 x 2-3 years is a no brainer to re-sign but if he costs 3.5-4/year then its potentially a hard cap hit to fit in.
I don't see Diaz signing that cheap. I expect 3.5 minimum for that guy.
Markov I think they have to re-sign unless he wants 6.5-7 mil over 3-4 years. I think he'll get a raise but 2 years at 12 mil or 3 years at 17 mil(6.5+6+4.5) is quite low risk. His play so far is at a high level, been excellent at both ends(except Thursday's giveaway).
I wouldn't do anything more than two at ten and I think we should probably trade him if we can for a young guy we can build with. We're not going to win anything with him. So cash in on the asset now.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Based on the la presse article today it sounds like bergevin reached out to emelin, subban, diaz (what the ****?) and markov. NOT gionta.

this summer we again, have a real opportunity to shake things up...

get rid of the midgets - gio, cube, diaz -
buy out DD
and find some suitable replacements with size until more kids are ready

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

habs D next year....

Subban-Gorges
Markov-Emelin
Diaz-Tinordi-Beaulieu-Drewiskie

murray/Bouillon out

I personally don't want Diaz but I assume
Bergevin will see it as a risk if he can't sign
Markov and Beaulieu/tinordi are not
ready full time

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
He likely wouldn't be traded until the deadline when the money paid him would be much less. Then he's UFA.
Rental.

Trading Gionta early in the season is unlikely due to his contract, but two things though at trading him only at the deadline:

If he is traded just before the trade deadline in April, then who do the Habs replace him with? A draft pick doesn't help unless they are out of the playoffs. If they are still in the playoffs, and if they got a player in trade, who would they get in place of him, or rather, what would another team trade back to acquire him? It would probably be better to keep Gionta for the playoffs and just to let him go at the end of the year.

However, in a trade, it's not the actual money paid out in trading him that counts, it's the cap hit of the acquiring team. A playoff bound team would probably have little cap space unless they have players on LTIR and gained a lot of free cap space that way. A team like that might go for a rental like Gionta, but that $5M would eat up a lot of space and there will probably be cheaper rentals just as good or better ones for the price out there.

(Also, I may be wrong but I understand the cap hit would be as follows: )
--------------
Trades

Under the terms of the 2005 collective bargaining agreement, when a team traded for another player, it assumed the full cap hit and remaining salary obligations of the acquired player. That was changed for the 2013 collective bargaining agreement. Teams may retain part of a traded player's salary to ease the cap burden on the acquiring team. Provisions on such retention are as follows:

1.The acquiring team must assume at least 50 percent of the remaining salary and cap charge of the SPC.
2.Such a contract can only be traded twice using provision 1 during the lifetime of the SPC.
3.Retained salary by the trading team cannot be more than 15 percent of the upper salary cap limit.
4.A maximum of 3 such contracts with salary retained in a trade can on a team's books at any one time.

This provision is included in Article 11 of Summary of Terms the 2013 CBA MOU

dreamingofdrouin*

Markov: re-sign before the trade deadline for 2 years and less than 6 millions/year or trade for a 1st round pick + good prospect

Gionta: trade for a 1st round pick if the Habs add a 3rd or 4th round pick like the Gaustad trade.

Subban: sign 8 years between 6.5 and 8 millions/year. Should have been already re-sign.

Eller: Less than 4 millions/year too inconsistent in his effort and points production.

Diaz: trade for a 2nd round pick+ long shot prospect

i approve this message:yo:

NLHabsFan

Nov 18, 2008
Alberta
Trading Gionta early in the season is unlikely due to his contract, but two things though at trading him only at the deadline:

If he is traded just before the trade deadline in April, then who do the Habs replace him with? A draft pick doesn't help unless they are out of the playoffs. If they are still in the playoffs, and if they got a player in trade, who would they get in place of him, or rather, what would another team trade back to acquire him? It would probably be better to keep Gionta for the playoffs and just to let him go at the end of the year.

However, in a trade, it's not the actual money paid out in trading him that counts, it's the cap hit of the acquiring team. A playoff bound team would probably have little cap space unless they have players on LTIR and gained a lot of free cap space that way. A team like that might go for a rental like Gionta, but that $5M would eat up a lot of space and there will probably be cheaper rentals just as good or better ones for the price out there.

(Also, I may be wrong but I understand the cap hit would be as follows: )
--------------
Trades

Under the terms of the 2005 collective bargaining agreement, when a team traded for another player, it assumed the full cap hit and remaining salary obligations of the acquired player. That was changed for the 2013 collective bargaining agreement. Teams may retain part of a traded player's salary to ease the cap burden on the acquiring team. Provisions on such retention are as follows:

1.The acquiring team must assume at least 50 percent of the remaining salary and cap charge of the SPC.
2.Such a contract can only be traded twice using provision 1 during the lifetime of the SPC.
3.Retained salary by the trading team cannot be more than 15 percent of the upper salary cap limit.
4.A maximum of 3 such contracts with salary retained in a trade can on a team's books at any one time.

This provision is included in Article 11 of Summary of Terms the 2013 CBA MOU

The cap hit is pro-rated. The 5 mil is based on the entire season. If a team picks him up at the deadline they don't add the entire 5 mil to their cap, just what is left. I believe the NHL season is based on 187 days and the cap is calculated by each day the player is with each team. I could be wrong though.

dzd ncnfzd

Aug 8, 2007
9 UFA and RFA next year:

Markov (keep, hope it's a little below what he's making, yet if he fired his agent....it's probably not because he wants to do less...do you keep him if he's greedy?)

Lets see what he wants... 2-3 years at 5 or so I would do. (He does owe "us"...being payed all that time being injured....) That Gonchar deal is a bit insane though, really don't get some of the decisions made by some (all?) GM's

Gionta (Let go...we need to address the size/talent issue. Need to try to trade him though. From this article, no contacts have been made.....yet http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hocke...silence-radio-entre-gionta-et-le-canadien.php) I would let go, don't bother try to trade etc. he was a UFA signing, let him go with dignity. If he wants to come back as 2'nd - 3'rd line wing at 2.5 mil yeah why not. (Kinda broken down though...)

Subban (Keep...of course...and pay the big bucks) Yaeh has to stay...let him loose a bit more... whats wrong with a bit of character and flanboyance? Hopefully all is good and 8X7.5 and he doesn't lose motivation because he feels the love etc... (Luv the guy)

Bouillon (Let go...but they are going to sign him again. You know that right?) He is kinda at the end... I have nothing against the cube...Dandoullion and all, he has always been a warrior and honest team mate rray (Let go, we can do better in the offseason if needed)

Eller (Keep, he's RFA, pretty interesting how they will play this one though...how much...years....He needs to get it going soon though) Yeah keep hm, I don't know ither for how much and how long though...3'rd line centre or more? Is he really worth Bozak momey? (or shudder DD money and term!!!!)

Diaz (I'd trade him. Redundant. Might have a nice value, not out of this world, but nice) Yeah if can trade lets do it. This year is really too "poltron". Get a pair (brass ones) please

Parros (Bye) Yeah, why, if you can't keep up at least and hit a few people why are u on the ice

White (I'd add him in a trade...not that I absolutely want to get rid of him...but he's not progressling like I,d hope. But if we keep him, I won't mind. If he's not traded, you sign him 1 year) I like White. Same contract. Lets keep some of our "home grown" draftees. Loosen up coaches, let some of his inner craziness flow.

And of importance, in Hamilton, there's Leblanc and Pateryn who will be RFA....(Re-signed both) I hope so. Leblanc get off ur ass and get with the program will u. We drafted u because u were supposed to be feisty etc and a Franco. Don't become the poster child of why we shouldn't draft Franco.... (Hey I know...I remember Wikenheiser / Savard....sigh)

So what do you do? Who do you keep, who do you trade to get something 'cause you don't want to keep, who do you just let go etc.

I hope its obvious what my thoughts are as a grumpy old man is, hoping to see another cup before my demise, bu7t then I've experienced many more than any other fan of any other team since I was cognizant!!! LOL

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
9 UFA and RFA next year:

Markov (keep, hope it's a little below what he's making, yet if he fired his agent....it's probably not because he wants to do less...do you keep him if he's greedy?)
Gionta (Let go...we need to address the size/talent issue. Need to try to trade him though. From this article, no contacts have been made.....yet http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hocke...silence-radio-entre-gionta-et-le-canadien.php)
Subban (Keep...of course...and pay the big bucks)
Bouillon (Let go...but they are going to sign him again. You know that right?)
Murray (Let go, we can do better in the offseason if needed)
Eller (Keep, he's RFA, pretty interesting how they will play this one though...how much...years....He needs to get it going soon though)
Diaz (I'd trade him. Redundant. Might have a nice value, not out of this world, but nice)
Parros (Bye)
White (I'd add him in a trade...not that I absolutely want to get rid of him...but he's not progressling like I,d hope. But if we keep him, I won't mind. If he's not traded, you sign him 1 year)

And of importance, in Hamilton, there's Leblanc and Pateryn who will be RFA....(Re-signed both)

So what do you do? Who do you keep, who do you trade to get something 'cause you don't want to keep, who do you just let go etc.

Markov- for 3 ( prefer 2, but guessing it will have to be 3 ) at $5.5M per.

Cubes-has to go and no they will not resign him as I think MB has learned a lesson,
and if he hasn't we are screwed.

PK- 8 years at hopefully less than $8M per, but you do it if that is what it takes.

Parros- gone. Get a guy like Ryan Reaves already, who can play 7-8 minutes of hockey, who hits a lot and fights with gusto and ability.

White-you keep, because who else are you going to get for the 4th line ?

Murray- he was just a filler for Emelin, he goes.

Diaz-tough call. Will likely take $3.5M or so to sign him and I guess you can justify it by pointing out we have a few guys around that 20 min. of ice-time mark, not as if he is playing 13 min. a game. Still , lots of bucks. Cmon Flyers, give up Simmonds for Diaz in a package.

Eller- you go long here again, he is UFA in 2 years. DD is getting $3.5M, you think Eller will go less ? Not so much. Hope he goes 5 years at $ 20M-$22M.

Gio- sorry capn, gone. Hey, he has played well for us but his age and the need to get bigger, he goes.

Last edited:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
There's really something behind the decision of dumping Don Meehan... Markov knows that the ''big money'' is for Subban and he must be jealous.

That's just a feeling... I really feel like if Bergevin offers less than 18 millions for 3 years then Markov will run away. Markov is here since the beginning, have experience, responsible defensively and elite offensively... Sure Subban is alot younger but if they give him 7-8 milli for 6-7-8 years I bet Markov will be a shark.

Its sad to say but if I have to pick only one its Subban, he's alot younger. I would try to trade Markov...even I'd really like to keep him man...I dont know...I doubt he will be back next year(if we dont pay him enough I mean).

I said this last summer and I repeat: What I like about Marky is that he could be a Lidstrom Lite, and play effectively until he is 40. I really believe this is possible. He has played a lot of games since coming back, and is effective, if slower. He is our second best D for god's sake, after missing 18 months of play. That should tell us a lot.

As far as I know, he has excellent habits also, and takes care of himself.

Fantastic that he is playing well, as a contender will give us something very good for him at deadline, but my instinct says sign him for 4-5 years at 5 Mill. He will want term more than cash. And he likes Montreal. As we move into our window, he will be a great no 3-4.

Habs also paid him big cash and took care of him while he rehabbed. He will not forget this.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad