News Article: UFA and RFA next year...what do you want?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Well, we also lost Streit. In his last season with us he was playing 0:49 SH TOI/g with us. As of today, Diaz is at 3:16 on SH.
We also saw what he can do on PP when he was paired with Markov...

Difference was, when Streit was with us, the only place he could play on the PP and as a forward cause he was unreliable defensively. Diaz is an all around better defenseman.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Difference was, when Streit was with us, the only place he could play on the PP and as a forward cause he was unreliable defensively. Diaz is an all around better defenseman.

Not even close. Streit didn't play D because Carbonneau was an idiot.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Only one that comes to mind is Vancouver's top 4, Edler is an excellent puck mover, Garrison with a bomb from the point, and Hamhuis/Bieksa as solid defensive guys. And then you add Tanev in on the bottom pairing, they have a solid group. Even then though, they're still dressing Yannick Weber who essentially plays as a 13th forward. I get what you're saying though, I think it's like the whole "first line center" thing, where everyone expects a 1st line C to put up close to PPG, even though there's only about 20-25 centers a year that even break 60 points. Or the definition of "1st pairing defenseman" where it gets restricted to where there's only like 15 of them in the NHL.

There really aren't very many teams with a perfect group, and in the grand scheme of things it's hard to complain about Markov-Subban-Emelin-Gorges making up your top 4 with Diaz as a fill in.

Vancouver's defense has no true #1 stud d-man. They have 4 solid #2-4 guys. I find Garrison overrated, post Hab version of Souray.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
He still wasn't great defensively. I find Diaz is better than him on PK and 5 on 5 in his own end, blocks shots.

Agreed.

Diaz is better than Streit (in his Montréal days, at least) defensively. Streit was better on the PP, mostly due to his slap-shot... But Diaz ain't too shabby in that department either. The kind of passing plays he made with Markov before he got concussed last season were a thing of beauty.

I think people underrate him on this board. I do believe he has legit top 4 upside and could turn out into a poor man's Markov. I'd welcome him back with open arms on a short term, preferably 2 years, for anything below 3,5 AAV. If we manage to sign Girardi on top of it, our defense would be set.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Markov trade at deadline for 1st round pick. Gionta trade for 3rd rounder. We're still maybe 2 years away from seriously competing. Stock up on picks, get some real talent, and find a replacement for Markov on D in free agency. Obviously bring back Eller and Subban.

The only UFA that could replace Markov on the UFA market is Markov. Even if there was a comparable player he'd cost Suter type money...7 year 56 mil(in his 20's) or 4-5 year at 7.5/year(froim 30-34).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->