News Article: UFA and RFA next year...what do you want?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
9 UFA and RFA next year:

Markov (keep, hope it's a little below what he's making, yet if he fired his agent....it's probably not because he wants to do less...do you keep him if he's greedy?)
Gionta (Let go...we need to address the size/talent issue. Need to try to trade him though. From this article, no contacts have been made.....yet http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hocke...silence-radio-entre-gionta-et-le-canadien.php)
Subban (Keep...of course...and pay the big bucks)
Bouillon (Let go...but they are going to sign him again. You know that right?)
Murray (Let go, we can do better in the offseason if needed)
Eller (Keep, he's RFA, pretty interesting how they will play this one though...how much...years....He needs to get it going soon though)
Diaz (I'd trade him. Redundant. Might have a nice value, not out of this world, but nice)
Parros (Bye)
White (I'd add him in a trade...not that I absolutely want to get rid of him...but he's not progressling like I,d hope. But if we keep him, I won't mind. If he's not traded, you sign him 1 year)

And of importance, in Hamilton, there's Leblanc and Pateryn who will be RFA....(Re-signed both)

So what do you do? Who do you keep, who do you trade to get something 'cause you don't want to keep, who do you just let go etc.

Last edited:

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
9 UFA and RFA next year:

Markov (keep, hope it's a little below what he's making, yet if he fired his agent....it's probably not because he wants to do less...do you keep him if he's greedy?)
Gionta (Let go...we need to address the size/talent issue. From this article, no contacts have been made.....yet http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hocke...silence-radio-entre-gionta-et-le-canadien.php)
Eller (Keep, he's RFA, pretty interesting how they will play this one though...how much...years....He needs to get it going soon though)
Diaz (I'd trade him. Redundant. Might have a nice value, not out of this world, but nice)

So what do you do? Who do you keep, who do you trade to get something 'cause you don't want to keep, who do you just let go etc.

Markov: re-sign before the trade deadline for 2 years and less than 6 millions/year or trade for a 1st round pick + good prospect

Gionta: trade for a 1st round pick if the Habs add a 3rd or 4th round pick like the Gaustad trade.

Subban: sign 8 years between 6.5 and 8 millions/year. Should have been already re-sign.

Eller: Less than 4 millions/year too inconsistent in his effort and points production.

Diaz: trade for a 2nd round pick+ long shot prospect

Last edited:

Patty Roy

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Visit site
Pretty much.

Eller and Subban are key building blocks and no-brainers.

At the other end of the spectrum i hope its a no brainer to walk away from Bouillon, Gionta, Parros and Murray. Dropping Bouillon and Gionta will help this team get bigger...Tinordi will be ready to take Murray's spot. I do value having a heavyweight on the roster, but i'd like to see us try and get someone younger who can play a little better to replace Parros.

Markov - I was ready to let him walk going into this season, but i've changed my mind and i'd like to see the Habs re-sign him. But it has to be a reasonable deal. If he wants too much then i think you move on. Ideally i'd like to see the Habs start negotiations prior to the deadline and if it looks like he wants too much, or if we're still floating around the .500 mark i would strongly consider moving him at the deadline. We could surely get a couple of very good pieces for him at the deadline.

Diaz - I can go either way on him being brought back. If you move Markov then definitely bring him back. If Markov is re-signed and if Beaulieu is progressing then i'd probably move him or let him walk as a UFA.

White - Re-sign him, he'll come cheap. But he isn't sure of a roster spot. I still would like to see the Habs go out and get a real 4th line C at some point. White's better on the wing.

Aceekay

Oct 9, 2011
Victoria
Markov: re-sign before the trade deadline for 2 years and less than 6 millions/year or trade for a 1st round pick + good prospect

Gionta: trade for a 1st round pick if the Habs add a 3e or 4th round pick like the Gaustad trade.

Subban: sign 8 years between 6.5 and 8 millions/year. Should have been already re-sign.

Eller: Less than 4 millions/year too inconsistent in his effort and points production.

Diaz: trade for a 2nd round pick+ long shot prospect

Gionta isn't anywhere close to being worth a first round pick.

Eller's problem isn't his effort.

Diaz isn't worth a second let alone a prospect.

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
Id re-sign Markov, Subban, Eller and MAYBE Diaz and White.

- Markov at 2 years/5 per
- Subban at 8 years/7 or 8 per
- Eller at 5 years/3.5 or 4 per (similar to Kyle Turris)

Diaz and White can stay if they take short cheap contracts. Or else they can be traded.

- Diaz at 2 years/2 per OR traded for 3rd rounder and small+?
- White at 1 year/700K OR traded as a small + in a larger deal?

I dont have the highest hopes at this point of Montréal making a playoff run so Gionta and Murray can be traded for a decent pick or prospect.

Gionta for 2nd rounder and 4th rounder?
Murray for 3rd rounder and long shot prospect?

Bouillon better not be re-signed. If anything he should go for like a 5th round pick.(A la Drewiske)

Last edited:

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I'd re-sign Diaz to a 3yr ~$10M contract and look to trade Gorges.

I don't like them both on the roster but our puck moving depth starts to look really thin behind Markov and Subban if Diaz is let go. I don't even know who would be on the 2nd PP unit. I guess play PK and Markov the full 2 min every power play.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Good thread WS. See comments below:

9 UFA and RFA next year:

Deadline decision, after that, must sign. Do not let him walk.

Gionta (Let go...we need to address the size/talent issue. Need to try to trade him though. From this article, no contacts have been made.....yet http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hocke...silence-radio-entre-gionta-et-le-canadien.php)

Must Trade at deadline unless we are in 5th place and Price is on fire. Do not let him walk.

No worries. 8 years 64 Mill. Cap will rise.

**** off. :) Assistant coach for Dogs next year, then Habs year after. And he'll be good at it. I would like him to stay in Habs organization.

Murray (Let go, we can do better in the off season if needed)

Huge upside: Tell him we will re sign him 2 years if he loses 20 pounds by June 15, otherwise gbye.

Bridge. Unless he torches it last 40 games, then give him 5 years 25 mill.

Must trade at deadline to a contender that needs PP depth for 3rd pick or tough young borderline character guy who may pan out, but may not, with big upside. He's gone. Beaulieu will take his spot next year, and be much better.

Parros (Bye)

Gbye

White (I'd add him in a trade...not that I absolutely want to get rid of him...but he's not progressling like I,d hope. But if we keep him, I won't mind. If he's not traded, you sign him 1 year)

Gone in package at deadline. Good guy in the room. Good depth for contender. GMs like him. Trade trade trade.

And of importance, in Hamilton, there's Leblanc and Pateryn who will be RFA....(Re-signed both)

Re sign both. Leblanc has now been tortured into submission and could be big for Habs going forward. Pateryn is solid. I like him.

Last edited:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009

I don't like them both on the roster but our puck moving depth starts to look really thin behind Markov and Subban if Diaz is let go. I don't even know who would be on the 2nd PP unit. I guess play PK and Markov the full 2 min every power play.

Beaulieu?

Apr 28, 2010
I thought Bouillon is retiring after this season? Thats what I heard awhile back. He'll retire as a Hab and won't be here next year for sure.

Murray, Parros, Diaz can go **** themselves. I still respect Gionta but the team needs to move on without him. Hope NJ will take him back.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
9 UFA and RFA next year:

Murray (Let go, we can do better in the offseason if needed)
Parros (Bye)

Keep
Markov - but only if he is affordable and the term is no more than 3 years... of course if we are out of cup contention and someone is willing to overpay for his services then a big decision has to be made
Subban - keep him and sign him for 8 years
Eller - 3 year contract
Pateryn - bridge contract at $900k if possible. In the running along with Nygren as a possible replacement for Diaz
Leblanc - bridge contract at $900k if possible. Possible replacement for Gionta and/or insurance against another Briere injury

Trade
Diaz - We have replacement who might not be quite as good at this point but who have more upside and need to develop
White - trade if we can get somewhere around a mid-round (3-4-5) choice for him
Gionta - at the deadline if there is some demand, if not don't resign. He falls into the same category as Diaz

Walk Away From
Parros - This one didn't work out at all
Bouillon - decks need to be cleared so youth can have a chance
Murray - he was only ever meant to be a stop gap solution for the Emelin situation

xposbrad

Jul 11, 2009

lol Diaz @ 3.33m/yr

hahahahaha, that's possibly the funniest thing I've read on these boards. Seriously, that's a funny joke.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
lol Diaz @ 3.33m/yr

hahahahaha, that's possibly the funniest thing I've read on these boards. Seriously, that's a funny joke.

If you think that's a joke then Gorges at $3.9M must have you in hysterics.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
Good thread WS. See comments below:

I don't think your idea of a bridge contract for Eller will work. He will probably be a UFA after his next contract expires. His existing contract is his bridge contract.

But I might be mistaken on the years of service. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
Markov - Keep
He's the glue that holds the Habs defense together. 2-3 year extension.

Gionta - Let go/Trade
I like Gionta and am happy with his contribution to the team but his role can be filled with a younger, bigger body. Possible trade deadline material.

Subban - Keep
Sign him for as long as you possibly can.

Bouillon - Let go
He's done.

Murray - Let go
I appreciate what he brings to the table but the Habs defense needs to be a bit more mobile. Hopefully by next year, Tinordi's skating will have improved.

Eller - Keep
Sign him for a good amount of time. He's going to blossom offensively and his defensive game is already very good. You can't get enough of a player like him.

Diaz - Keep
Unless they trade him, I'd re-sign him to a similar contract to Emelin, perhaps a little less.

Parros - Let go
Experiment failed.

White - Keep
Fourth liners molded under an organization that are at the level of White are very valuable to the team. White is a good kid and has a good head on his shoulders, he just needs to keep up his consistency and not let those screws in his head become loose.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Markov is a must keep along with Subban & Eller.

Gionta is a probable keep. It obviously depends on what he's looking for but as much as we could use some more size, he's still productive and can play anywhere on the top-9. Also bear in mind if Galchenyuk is moving to center this year or next that opens up a spot for a winger. If we can pull off a great trade for someone like Simmonds then sure let him go but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Diaz is a probable let go. I like him and think he's valuable and that's the problem, we can't pay him the 3m+ that he can probably get as a UFA. If he's willing to take a nice discount to play on the bottom pair then I'm all for it. But he probably wants minutes/money so he's probably gone.

Murray I'll give it a few more weeks but so far he hasn't made a strong case for staying.

Parros and Bouillon should be gone as soon as humanly possible

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Definitely Sign

The General
Subbydo
Larry

Definitely Try To Trade
Gionta
Parros
Diaz
Murray
Bouillon (I know I know trading three d men is crazy especially just before the playoffs and Bouillon won't be traded but one of Pateryn, Tinordi and Nygren should be ready. So I say all three but we know at the very most only two are eligible.

Flip a headless Coin

White - I'd keep only if he signs at the same pay.

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
Markov - KEEP - He's at the point in his career where I hope he does the responsible thing and goes contract-to-contract. 1 year deal is ideal for about 5 million.

Diaz - GOES - Soften's up our defense as a whole, can be replaced either within the organization or via FA.

Bouillon - GOES - A good soldier over the years, retires a hab.

White - STAYS - A good 4th line forward who wears his heart on his sleeve, can be a 13th forward if needed. 900 k.

PARROS - GOES - A good team guy, he just can't play the game. Probably the best fighter we've had in a long time though.

Gionta - GOES - Love the captain. However I think it is fairly obvious that there simply isn't a place for him anymore. Gallagher can eat up his minutes and we have Briere locked up for 1 more.

Murray - GOES - Nothing needs to be said here.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Markov, Eller and Subban. White if he comes cheap. If the team wasn't so small, I'd want Gio back too.

Habsoil

Mar 24, 2012
Fort mac
Loyalty aside, if we want a cup in the next 5-7 years, markov must go to the highest bidder this season.
Would love to keep him but, cup without him or scrape our way into the playoffs with him.

Subban is a must keep, but if asking price is above 8, id see what he 's truly worth on the trade block snd then decide if to sign him or reap the returns in trade .

Ellar, always loved him, great kid. Personally id resign him.

Gionta, id be shopping him asap. Keep shopping him til the deadline. Might surprise us all what he would fetch if a team was desperate. Either way i think a 1st rounder is in order.

Murray could fetch a second or 3rd closer to the deadline if he stays healthy.

The rest, get what we can get.

This is not a stanley cup team, gut and lets rebuild.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Want:
Subban
Markov
Eller
Pateryn
White
bonus want: Gaborik (find the cap space Bergevin)

GTFO:
Diaz
Bouillon
Murray
Parros
Gionta

bonus gtfo: Desharnais (trade for 7th round pick plz)

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Markov (Keep, I'd offer him 2 years at 5 million)
Gionta (Gone, he served his time here but Gallagher took his spot and we have no need for a bottom 6 5'7 forward who's breaking down physically)
Subban (Sign him to a 7 year contract with a AAV of 7,5 million)
Bouillon (He can retire)
Murray (Gone)
Eller (Sign him to a 5 year contract worth 4,25 million)
Diaz (Sign him to either a one year deal or a two year deal worth 2,75 million a year and trade him when Nygren is NHL ready)
Parros (Gone, hopefully)
White (I'd keep him until someone in our organization outplays him)

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
one thing is sure, IF bergevin is satisfied with this team and doesnt act before the season end (for those ufa to be, players) he will have a HUGE amount of work in the off season, and to be honest i dont see him pulling it, i dont have any data to tell otherwise, i can only judge what i have seen so far of him.

in all honesty i believe the old core had to be addressed slowly since last year. now he will be caught with masssive work and wont be able to manage so many needs in such a period of time (while he looks for replacement he will have to deal with players that just dont fit and so on), this team is in a day to day management period. and really are really just relying in the top young players they herritated. none of them

i really think by the beginning of next season we will have a clear idea if MB is or not a good GM. but no mather what he will be stuck with him at least 2 more years.

Last edited:

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
At least it seems that contract talks will begin with Subban/Diaz/Markov while Gionta's agent hasn't heard from the Habs organization yet.

That's... good news, I guess.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Subban: 8 years at 7.6M/year
Eller: 4 years at 3.5M/year
Markov: 3 years at 5.75M/year
Diaz: 2 years at 3M/year
White: anything below 1M/year
Gionta: I'd let go of him, but we need to find a quality two-way winger for Plekanec (maybe go after Alex Steen)

Get Rid of Parros, Bouillon, Murray.

Buy-out Briere

Trade Leblanc if the habs have no plans for him, because he's waiver eligible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad