UEFA EURO 2016 - Final Tournament - II

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
If Croats put flares up their arses there's not a lot security can do tbh unless you advocate for standardized body orifice checks or x ray machines.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
What happened? I missed it.

And looking forward to the knockout rounds, should see the play open up alot.

Croatian "fans" threw around a dozen flares onto the field near the end of the game and one small explosive device (like a firecracker) that may have injured a steward who was leaning to pick it up when it exploded (no word on if he's injured, he was able to walk off the pitch with others around him).

Game was stopped for ~5 minutes to clear it up.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
The issue with security isn't just about them letting them into the stadium though. It is about having fans who, according to others, were banned. And, not having people in place to deal with it. The stewards on the pitch didn't appear to have any safety gear and there should be a lack of a police presence from what I could see in the clip.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
BTW, french forces have stopped fans from all over Europe from coming in. Contrary to the dumbasses posts and rumors posted here, they've made arrests EVERY ****ing day.
They've even stopped spanish ultras today.
They've also sent thousands of fans away from the country.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
BTW, french forces have stopped fans from all over Europe from coming in. Contrary to the dumbasses posts and rumors posted here, they've made arrests EVERY ****ing day.
They've even stopped spanish ultras today.
They've also sent thousands of fans away from the country.

Yeah that's great. They still ****ed up with these Croatian ultras. Unfortunately, when you're running security, you're judged by your failures, and in the week that's occurred so far, there have been two major in-stadium failures

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Interesting idea actually. What about those scanners they use in the airport?

And those have been shown to be so popular and not at all controversial. ;) I think they're also pretty expensive and you need to specifically train staff to be able to interpret the outcomes.

And you can't pick and choose, you gotta check everyone. At league games, cops will sometimes take aside known members of groups with such a reputation and actually do orifice searches, so it's become common to have their girlfriends or other female associates carry them in. I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

But truth be told there does appear to be a pretty shocking lack of cops inside the stadiums. An average Bundesliga matchday appears to be better policed than this Euro.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
And those have been shown to be so popular and not at all controversial. ;) I think they're also pretty expensive and you need to specifically train staff to be able to interpret the outcomes.

And you can't pick and choose, you gotta check everyone. At league games, cops will sometimes take aside known members of groups with such a reputation and actually do orifice searches, so it's become common to have their girlfriends or other female associates carry them in. I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

But truth be told there does appear to be a pretty shocking lack of cops inside the stadiums. An average Bundesliga matchday appears to be better policed than this Euro.

They were unpopular because people thought you could see them naked. They can't. I don't think it's that hard to read them, but I don't know. I know at the actual thing, the only thing the officer scanning people sees is a screen that either flashes green for approved or red for more screening. Not sure about the rest of the process; if it's automated or not.

I'm all for checking everyone. It takes ten seconds to get scanned and be approved. The expense might be the sticking point, however.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Just saw the incident during the Croatia-Czech game. Ref should have abandoned the game after the firecracker/bomb-thing was thrown.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
There's a legitimate chance that 2 pts and a -1 GD could get a team into the knockout round. There's even an outside shot that a team with 1 point could make it and a negative differential could make it.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
18 by 4 cm. Ouch. So much trouble to just **** **** up. I always had my suspicions on how they brought those things into stadiums. When I went to matches in Belgium, Portugal, France and Spain they would pat down everything but your crotch and ass area, so by elimination not a lot of places you could smuggle in that stuff.

Ivan94

Jun 1, 2013
Germany
If Croats put flares up their arses there's not a lot security can do tbh unless you advocate for standardized body orifice checks or x ray machines.

St. Etienne locals brought the flares into the stadium before the game. As a hooligan you don't risk getting caught at a security check.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
There's not anything wrong with bringing a flare in. There is something wrong with throwing it on the field.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
So Albania is 3rd with a -2.

In order for them to get one of the 4 3rd place spots they need 2 of the following things to happen:

- Slovakia loses against England by 3 goals and either Russia draws or loses against Wales or Russia beats Wales by 3 goals.
- Northern Ireland loses against Germany by 4 goals and Ukraine either doesn't win or only wins by at most 1 goal
- Czech Republic and Turkey draw or Turkey wins by at most 1 goal
- Ireland draws or loses against Italy and Sweden draws or loses against Belgium
- Iceland loses against Austria or Portugal loses against Hungary

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Slovakian hooligans allegedly anxious to get in on the action and have a chance to be able to one day tell the grandkids that they fought with a real English hooligan.

As to the Czech-Croatia game, they didn't have to smuggle anything in, it was waiting for them in the stadium courtesy of St Etienne ultras, who also told them how to get away without being caught. Security and police did have information about the attacks (which were largely being planned on social networks) and lined up in front of the appropriate section just before the appointed time. The original attack was supposed to be much larger with people storming the field but it seems some of the groups involved got cold feet, so I'm not sure the incident can be termed a complete failure by security.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad