UEFA EURO 2016 - Final Tournament - II

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I'm surprised at the lack of gulf in talent on the score lines.

The stupid format encourages low scoring games.

Three draws could see you through. The bigger factor is that because so many third place teams go through, teams can't lose by a big score line. That means they'll play to keep it tight for the majority of the game.

Even in the last 5 minutes, if a group favourite is 1-0 up, there is logic for the team trailing not to really throw everything at getting an equaliser. You are more likely to concede a second, and the third placed teams that don't progress will likely miss out by a very small margin... like a single goal conceded.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
England fan was given two months in jail for throwing a plastic pint glass, according to the media. No Russian arrests though.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm surprised at the lack of gulf in talent on the score lines.

There aren't many terrible teams nor are the most talented teams all that great here. The gulf in quality just isn't that big at this tourney; and the weakest teams got there by playing like Greeks...so they won't be getting blown out.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
England fan was given two months in jail for throwing a plastic pint glass, according to the media. No Russian arrests though.
That could mean two things :

1/ French justice clearly biased, lets russians go untouched, blames english only who clearly didn't do anything wrong. Clear incompetence here.
2/ The judge actually has facts, while you're out of the country, basing yourself on english articles, written by english "journalists" trying to diminish english influence in the riots.

Gee, I wonder which option is the good one... :sarcasm:

It's funny because I took a look at the newspapers from all over Europe after the weekend incidents, and every single one of them blamed both russians and english.

Except the english newspapers, who in their majority blamed "russian thugs".

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
That could mean two things :

1/ French justice clearly biased, lets russians go untouched, blames english only who clearly didn't do anything wrong. Clear incompetence here.
2/ The judge actually has facts, while you're out of the country, basing yourself on english articles, written by english "journalists" trying to diminish english influence in the riots.

Gee, I wonder which option is the good one... :sarcasm:

It's funny because I took a look at the newspapers from all over Europe after the weekend incidents, and every single one of them blamed both russians and english.

Except the english newspapers, who in their majority blamed "russian thugs".

The problems in the stadium was down to 2 things... the Russians and the French. The standard of security at the stadium was a disgrace, and sadly there was the thug element from the Russian supporters that were over. The English really didn't do much wrong at the stadium.

Outside the stadium there is plenty of blame to go around. Anyone making it the English were the main problem seem to be basing it solely on 20+ years ago, the scum element of the English support were as much to blame as the other parties involved in the trouble. There is no doubt the English fans were part of the problem away from the stadium.

Ultimately, as a neutral observer, I'm pinning the bulk of this ****show on the French. You can't have that level of policing at a game that everyone knew was extremely high risk from the moment the draw was made.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Outside the stadium there is plenty of blame to go around. Anyone making it the English were the main problem seem to be basing it solely on 20+ years ago, the scum element of the English support were as much to blame as the other parties involved in the trouble. There is no doubt the English fans were part of the problem away from the stadium.

See a trend? English fans making trouble at internationall football tournament.

20+ years? :laugh:

Ultimately, as a neutral observer, I'm pinning the bulk of this ****show on the French. You can't have that level of policing at a game that everyone knew was extremely high risk from the moment the draw was made.

Yes, let's blame the police rather than the thugs.:handclap:

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
The Russians entering the English fan section should not have been allowed to happen. In hindsight, there should have been a row of policemen there to separate the factions. It's quite common in league games in different countries. Live and learn I guess, I'm sure there will be riot police in hand in the next high risk game.

Last edited:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
The problems in the stadium was down to 2 things... the Russians and the French. The standard of security at the stadium was a disgrace, and sadly there was the thug element from the Russian supporters that were over. The English really didn't do much wrong at the stadium.

Where did you get this expert opinion, were you at the stadium? Honestly I find it hard to swallow such self-assured opinions from people drawing only on the (English-speaking) media.

How do you know what the English did or didn't do? The English were "just" shouting drunken taunts at the Russians but didn't "really" want to fight? I'm not apologising for the actions of the Russians and they deserve any punishment they get, but saying the Russians and French did everything wrong while the British were poor innocent sheep is pretty far-fetched.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Yes, let's blame the police rather than the thugs.:handclap:

Except nobody is doing that.

The idiots that were involved in the trouble deserve everything that is coming to them, and more. That doesn't mean you ignore the utterly inadequate and incompetent policing in Marseille.

This wasn't a surprise, everyone knew this match was a flare point. This situation escalated to the point it did because it was allowed to escalate to that point. Particularly the stadium incident.

Where did you get this expert opinion, were you at the stadium? Honestly I find it hard to swallow such self-assured opinions from people drawing only on the (English-speaking) media.

How do you know what the English did or didn't do? The English were "just" shouting drunken taunts at the Russians but didn't "really" want to fight? I'm not apologising for the actions of the Russians and they deserve any punishment they get, but saying the Russians and French did everything wrong while the British were poor innocent sheep is pretty far-fetched.

I wasn't at the stadium, not going over until the knock out stages.

My opinion is based on what the videos show and 2 friends who were there, from Novosibirsk, basically confirming it. The issues with the Russia fans and the failings of French security is obvious to everyone.

What did the English fans do? If I've missed something, I'll happily reevaluate my opinion.

You can say that the idea is far fetched, but that is choosing to ignore the fact the Russian fans that were involved in charging the England fans were only there to fight. They didn't need to be antagonised to look for a fight. The scum element of the England fans normally cause their trouble leading up to a match, rather than at it in recent years.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Nah, only 120 english hooligans arrested in Gelsenkirchen.

Peanuts really.

Via BBC:

Police in Gelsenkirchen said many of the detentions were preventative and added that all of the fans have already been released.

In total 180 fans were held and the others were mainly Germans, a spokesman said.

And that was after the England - Portugal game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->