UEFA EURO 2016 - Final Tournament - II

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
The brackets aren't to blame. Blame the teams that were supposed to win their groups but didn't (Spain, Portugal, England). That's what messed up the brackets.

I think expanding to 24 teams isn't necessarily bad but they need to find a system where only the top two teams would advance.

Yeah, you can only do a format like that if you expand it to 32 teams or go to whatever # of teams impose a system where the top place teams get an automatic bye to the QF for winning the group. I feel like there wasn't much of an incentive to win the group stage this tournament. Many teams that had advanced to the R16 (Italy, Spain) dogged the final game.

I would just be in favour of going back to the #16 team format. But UEFA just made record profits this year...So I doubt we'll go back to that. :help:

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
[...]Less talented teams can also try to play possession football and counter-press vs. the Bayerns of the world, and there's little evidence that it's any less successful than trying to Of course, at national level, the offenses are less organized, and the nature of the competition rewards conservative play more than domestic competition.

It's not that easy mate, it's a style of play that requires technical players of the highest quality.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
The Euro's should be 16 teams. This is coming from somebody whose national side have never made a Euro and benefits from the expansion. The tournament dragged on too long and there's too much potential for additional injuries with how often some of these guys play.

Real Madrid might potentially lose Ronaldo for a while because he had to play an extra game.

There just isn't any benefit to add the extra 8 teams save for the extra $$$$ Uefa gets.
The idea that players are unavailable for their clubs because they play too many internationals is amusing, but not nearly as much as the proposed solution of removing a grand total of just 1 game every 4 years, when merely cutting the leagues down by two teams and getting rid of the round robin for the CL first round would already spare us 8 meaningless games every season, whose sole purpose are the $$$.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Less talented teams can also try to play possession football and counter-press vs. the Bayerns of the world, and there's little evidence that it's any less successful than trying to

See gladbach vs Bayern/Juve/Citeh. Smaller team with less total talent, but they went out and out played those giants for large swathes of their matches; securing the results against Bayern & Juve.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Maybe they can, but a lower table Spanish team will still typically have more skill on the ball than say Northern Ireland i.e. a team made up primarily of players in the English lower leagues.

It's beside the point anyway because even if those teams could play it, they aren't doing it and they won't start now for sure.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Yeah, you can only do a format like that if you expand it to 32 teams or go to whatever # of teams impose a system where the top place teams get an automatic bye to the QF for winning the group.

Four groups of 6 instead of six groups of 4. The top 2 from each of the four groups advance to the QFs.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Being a watch guy I caught this and thought I'd share it.

Looks like Iceland's tourament is really resonating at home as expected. I'm sure they'll get plenty of endorsement deals. Anyway, not sure if this was an endorsement deal or not, but a couple of the players were in one of the ads for JS Watch. JS Watch is a small watchmaker in Iceland that always have some clever print ads that usually have the three younger guys in the operation looking at a woman while the older gentleman who makes the watches is checking out a watch. Well they've created a limited edition watch and had an ad to go with it:

Euro+MMXVI+Team

Watch itself is pretty well done too:

Euro+MMXVI+5.jpg

Of course the date window and size kill it for me (I won't go into detail as this is a football forum), but the colors were done well and the outer ring with the "half time" is also kind of neat. Considering how poorly done watches are for sports teams, this is not only the real deal but it's largely very well done.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
16 terrorist attacks have been prevented in France recently, including 2 that targeted the Euro tournament (one was targeting the final).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad