GWT: UEFA Champions League Round of 16

Discussion in 'Soccer' started by maclean, Feb 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluesfan94

bluesfan94 #PetroforNorris

You're focused on the arm while the call was on the legs.

2. Jussi

Jussi Registered User

Because there was even less there.

3. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Registered User

As a referee myself I can tell you the last penalty was a clear cut 100% penalty and people using lame excuses after conceding 6 goals are pathetic.

4. Ar-too

Ar-too Zealous Scrub

Network Engineer
    Oh puhleeze. There was plenty of contact for Suarez to go down. I understand people disliking Suarez, but to say there was no foul, let alone no contact, is absurd.

5. senators101

senators101 Registered User

There isn't enough contact there to warrant a penalty. If that's enough contact, then you might as well just award a penalty every time there's a corner kick.

6. Jersey Fresh

Jersey Fresh Video Et Taceo

I mean, Suarez and Neymar were looking for it all match too, which I think plays into the reactions.

7. Pouchkine

Suarez is a notorious cheater but that call was 100% right and people complaining about it are even more "cheaters" than Suarez if that's possible. Get on with it and let's enjoy the games.

8. TheLeastOfTheBunch

TheLeastOfTheBunch Franchise Centre

9. Pouchkine

It's not even a soft penalty it's 100% penalty. Watching it in slow motions and the picture stop proves the contact but you have to remember the play happens at full speed and the foul happens at full speed and it's even clearer that way. If I was a PSG fan or like many of you Anti-Barcelona I'd be angry at Emery and most PSG players and especially a couple of the defenders-goalie...

10. Pouchkine

So far the field is stacked for the quarters.

11. Suiteness

Suiteness Registered User

Home Page:
    That's where I stand as well. I'd understand the outrage if that had been the final that finished 2-1 on that penalty but 6 - 1? Come on.

12. Power Man

Power Man Grrrr

Bad officiating or not, there is no excuse

PSG just didn't show up, that was a pathetic display

13. sjsharks92

sjsharks92 Registered User

This.

Whether you want to argue that Barca was falling all over the field yesterday, or that the ref awarded a penalty he shouldn't have, PSG didn't deserve to go through with that display.

14. kyle evs48

kyle evs48 Devilish Boy Grin

Marquinhos didn't help himself by facing the opposite way of the ball

15. xavi4life

xavi4life Mr. Irreverent

16. xavi4life

xavi4life Mr. Irreverent

Same can be said for Madrid. Sergio Ramos always bailing you guys out, refs too. :help:

17. les Habs

les Habs Registered User

:laugh: That's how life works? I should just restate that forget about the rest of your post.

You don't know that Verratti would have been less aggressive, but say that were the case then he likely would have made fewer fouls allowing Barça to play more. He also likely makes fewer tackles. It goes both ways.

I failed to mention this before, but your little link to a Madrid supporter's account doesn't even show the entire play. If you watch the entire play you'll see your narrative, like your claim that the ball was gone, isn't even accurate.

:help: Not running at all??? You do realize you're watching a slow motion replay right??? Not running at all?

I already said that Suarez embellished the upper body contact. Still contact at the legs as well and it's still a penalty all day long. On top of that the upper body contact is still impeding Suarez.

Like I said above, he embellished the arm contact, but there was contact at the legs and you're absolutely wrong that he he had already started going down before the legs touched. You have to be blind or biased (despite your claims to the contrary) to deny that.

For starters, I wouldn't say Neymar was diving the whole night. For example when di Maria clattered into him from behind Neymar wasn't diving. His reputation as it stands isn't warranted if you watch him regularly. Suarez on the other hand is in my opinion one the top players in the game today as regards gamesmanship and thus in my opinion cheating. (For me Suarez was looking for something all night. When he finally got something it was a legimitate penalty of course.) He's always trying to get the extra mile just like he did in the play above (the clear cut penalty when Marquinhos fouled him in the box, not this other nonsense you just posted).

Ignore that it's from a Madrid fan? I guy named @OMAR_CR7_ who supporters Real Madrid is going to actually post that with "UEFALONA" on it? As for the video itself, absolutely Suarez dives there. Verratti pushes him from behind, which he can't do either and something you've completely ignored just like everything else I've had to note, but yeah that's a dive. It's a dive after being pushed in the back.

:laugh: I should have known that one was going to come up. Unbelievable. If you want to go based on "I've seen it given"...

Wrong, again. Verratti wasn't sent off. Di Maria wasn't sent off. First penalty on Neymar when Meunier pulled him back in the box wasn't called.

I'm not going to continue to debate the calls with you because we've both stated our ends and disagree. Also, you seem unable to see what's right front of you despite posting it yourself on top of ignoring how many other clear instances that went in PSG's favor. At the end of the day Barça clearly benefitted from the refs as I've already noted in my initial post-match post which was in response to no one. However even taking into account Mascherano and di Maria, if one is going to call Neymar's penalty legit (as it was called) then it all evens out because there was another penalty on Neymar that wasn't called. For me it's unfortunate that a result like this is tainted by the refs because you get some alternative commentary like yours about the result, but it's happened before and it will happen again.

18. les Habs

les Habs Registered User

If I recall correctly there were two handballs in the box, one by Barça and one by PSG. PSG's was later on in the match and IMO the position of the arm meant a penalty. I didn't want to even bring it up after the first leg because I honestly thought it wouldn't matter considering how generally lopsided the respective performances were and the scoreline was going into the second leg.

At the end of the day Barça clearly go help from the refs, but so did PSG. It went both ways.

19. Power Man

Power Man Grrrr

Officiating is not an easy job

So many factors : quality of the referees and/or their experience, positioning, how they handle pressure - playing in a big stadium with an intense crowd and the stakes can influence the refs on a subconscious level, etc etc

20. kyle evs48

kyle evs48 Devilish Boy Grin

21. CycloneLaunch

CycloneLaunch ...

Anyone here read the French press? What's the reaction to the loss been like?

22. Pouchkine

They call it a "Naufrage Historique"

23. Evilo

Evilo Registered User

It really didn't. There not a single call in the first leg that wasn't the right one. Everyone here on this boards said so, so it's not just me.

Second leg was all Barca for the reffing, but as I've stated, losing 6-2 or 5-1 doesn't make a whole difference in the grand scheme of things. Sure PSG would have been through, but by not showing up in that second leg, they don't deserve to. Shame on them. Period.

But please don't try to act like it went both ways, it didn't.
    Collina wants to suspend the ref now and even Mascherano admitted to the easy Di Maria penalty call.
    Barca scored on 2 free kicks, 2 penalties and an own goal. So yeah...

24. ProPAIN

ProPAIN I am the DANGER!

Dive or not, PSG shouldn't have let it come to that. They dug their own grave.

25. Ceremony

Ceremony ______________

Home Page:
    Bemoaning the loss of David Luiz, no doubt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.