GWT: UEFA Champions League Round of 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
As a referee myself I can tell you the last penalty was a clear cut 100% penalty and people using lame excuses after conceding 6 goals are pathetic.

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
Oh puhleeze. There was plenty of contact for Suarez to go down. I understand people disliking Suarez, but to say there was no foul, let alone no contact, is absurd.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
There isn't enough contact there to warrant a penalty. If that's enough contact, then you might as well just award a penalty every time there's a corner kick.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Suarez is a notorious cheater but that call was 100% right and people complaining about it are even more "cheaters" than Suarez if that's possible. Get on with it and let's enjoy the games.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
It's not even a soft penalty it's 100% penalty. Watching it in slow motions and the picture stop proves the contact but you have to remember the play happens at full speed and the foul happens at full speed and it's even clearer that way. If I was a PSG fan or like many of you Anti-Barcelona I'd be angry at Emery and most PSG players and especially a couple of the defenders-goalie...

xavi4life

Mr. Irreverent
Jun 30, 2007
Los Angeles
giphy.gif

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I mean, that's not how life works.
Verrati could've gotten booked earlier. Or should have.
But common sense says that after that booking he would've been less aggressive.
Instead, he was only booked late on (stoppage time), and didn't have to play more carefully until then

:laugh: That's how life works? I should just restate that forget about the rest of your post.

You don't know that Verratti would have been less aggressive, but say that were the case then he likely would have made fewer fouls allowing Barça to play more. He also likely makes fewer tackles. It goes both ways.

Neymar's kick was a textbook straight red. Ball gone, retaliation-kick from behind.

I failed to mention this before, but your little link to a Madrid supporter's account doesn't even show the entire play. If you watch the entire play you'll see your narrative, like your claim that the ball was gone, isn't even accurate.

As for the Suarez call, I don't know what to tell you if you don't think that's a dive.
He wasn't in full sprint (or running at all) in which case I could understand a case for incidental/reckless contact at the knee to mean something.
And the arm contact (while stupid) is a joke.
If you think that's a reason for Suarez to go flying with his hands up, your call.

:help: Not running at all??? You do realize you're watching a slow motion replay right??? Not running at all?

I already said that Suarez embellished the upper body contact. Still contact at the legs as well and it's still a penalty all day long. On top of that the upper body contact is still impeding Suarez.

As for the leg contact, not only had he already started his flying escapade before the legs touched, his arm also goes to his chest as he is falling down to emphasize the contact with the defender's arm.
He was trying to get the pen based on the arm contact. You have to be blind or biased to deny that.

https://gfycat.com/KindlyAggressiveEyra

Like I said above, he embellished the arm contact, but there was contact at the legs and you're absolutely wrong that he he had already started going down before the legs touched. You have to be blind or biased (despite your claims to the contrary) to deny that.

Suarez and Neymar were diving the whole night, it was embarassing, and the one thing that left a sour taste after a historic game.

https://twitter.com/OMAR_CR7_/status/839598829645230080
(ignore the twitter feed from a Real fan, look at the actual video)
It's disgusting. To me, anyway.

For starters, I wouldn't say Neymar was diving the whole night. For example when di Maria clattered into him from behind Neymar wasn't diving. His reputation as it stands isn't warranted if you watch him regularly. Suarez on the other hand is in my opinion one the top players in the game today as regards gamesmanship and thus in my opinion cheating. (For me Suarez was looking for something all night. When he finally got something it was a legimitate penalty of course.) He's always trying to get the extra mile just like he did in the play above (the clear cut penalty when Marquinhos fouled him in the box, not this other nonsense you just posted).

Ignore that it's from a Madrid fan? I guy named @OMAR_CR7_ who supporters Real Madrid is going to actually post that with "UEFALONA" on it? As for the video itself, absolutely Suarez dives there. Verratti pushes him from behind, which he can't do either and something you've completely ignored just like everything else I've had to note, but yeah that's a dive. It's a dive after being pushed in the back.

I mean, I've seen this called as well.
https://gfycat.com/DismalMelodicJerboa
(I wouldn't call it, I think it was the right non-call, but I've seen it given, and seeing how these refs go about their business, I'm pretty sure that gets called for PSG if it isn't Real/Barca/Bayern/Juve as the opponent)

:laugh: I should have known that one was going to come up. Unbelievable. If you want to go based on "I've seen it given"...

No major decision went PSG's way last night, and there were plenty of potentially game-deciding ones there.

Wrong, again. Verratti wasn't sent off. Di Maria wasn't sent off. First penalty on Neymar when Meunier pulled him back in the box wasn't called.

I'm not going to continue to debate the calls with you because we've both stated our ends and disagree. Also, you seem unable to see what's right front of you despite posting it yourself on top of ignoring how many other clear instances that went in PSG's favor. At the end of the day Barça clearly benefitted from the refs as I've already noted in my initial post-match post which was in response to no one. However even taking into account Mascherano and di Maria, if one is going to call Neymar's penalty legit (as it was called) then it all evens out because there was another penalty on Neymar that wasn't called. For me it's unfortunate that a result like this is tainted by the refs because you get some alternative commentary like yours about the result, but it's happened before and it will happen again.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Even out ?
First leg ref had one of the best game in recent memory. By everyone's account.
I'm not sure what you mean then.

If I recall correctly there were two handballs in the box, one by Barça and one by PSG. PSG's was later on in the match and IMO the position of the arm meant a penalty. I didn't want to even bring it up after the first leg because I honestly thought it wouldn't matter considering how generally lopsided the respective performances were and the scoreline was going into the second leg.

At the end of the day Barça clearly go help from the refs, but so did PSG. It went both ways.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Officiating is not an easy job

So many factors : quality of the referees and/or their experience, positioning, how they handle pressure - playing in a big stadium with an intense crowd and the stakes can influence the refs on a subconscious level, etc etc

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
If I recall correctly there were two handballs in the box, one by Barça and one by PSG. PSG's was later on in the match and IMO the position of the arm meant a penalty. I didn't want to even bring it up after the first leg because I honestly thought it wouldn't matter considering how generally lopsided the respective performances were and the scoreline was going into the second leg.

At the end of the day Barça clearly go help from the refs, but so did PSG. It went both ways.

It really didn't. There not a single call in the first leg that wasn't the right one. Everyone here on this boards said so, so it's not just me.

Second leg was all Barca for the reffing, but as I've stated, losing 6-2 or 5-1 doesn't make a whole difference in the grand scheme of things. Sure PSG would have been through, but by not showing up in that second leg, they don't deserve to. Shame on them. Period.

But please don't try to act like it went both ways, it didn't.
Collina wants to suspend the ref now and even Mascherano admitted to the easy Di Maria penalty call.
Barca scored on 2 free kicks, 2 penalties and an own goal. So yeah...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad