GWT: UEFA Champions League Round of 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
It really didn't. There not a single call in the first leg that wasn't the right one. Everyone here on this boards said so, so it's not just me.

Second leg was all Barca for the reffing, but as I've stated, losing 6-2 or 5-1 doesn't make a whole difference in the grand scheme of things. Sure PSG would have been through, but by not showing up in that second leg, they don't deserve to. Shame on them. Period.

But please don't try to act like it went both ways, it didn't.
Collina wants to suspend the ref now and even Mascherano admitted to the easy Di Maria penalty call.
Barca scored on 2 free kicks, 2 penalties and an own goal. So yeah...

Ummm... I never said it was just you nor did I say it was anyone.

Second leg very clearly wasn't all Barça for the reffing.

I get your point about PSG and as I've noted as regards Barça in the past, they let it get to that point, but if indeed they did enough to go through had the refs got every decision right then it's hard to blame them regardless of if they could/should have done better.

It very obviously went both ways. And I fail to see what say a legitimate free kick or penalty has to do with anything? Also, one of the goals wasn't directly from a free kick, not that it matters either way.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Dive or not, PSG shouldn't have let it come to that. They dug their own grave.

Pretty much. Even if the ref whistles the pen on Di Maria and Barca wins 6-2. How proud can PSG be after that?

No excuse. (but let's not hear the calls went both ways please).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
PSG almost lost to Nancy the other day. And they were trying not to lose some points to Monaco.
How can they do anything against Barca in an elimination game the way they've played all games this season except for a couple (including the first leg)?
When I hear pundits here singing the praise of Emery after a single game and forgetting about the previous 6 months of crappy play, I can only laugh.
Now they're back to blaming him, which is quite laughable.

Blanc is suuuuuuch a better manager.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Can you tell me what the mood is in Paris? How is the media reacting? I know PSG have monopolized Ligue 1 in the last 4 years so fans of their rivals have got to be happy. But this has got to be one of the darkest days in French football history.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Pretty much. Even if the ref whistles the pen on Di Maria and Barca wins 6-2. How proud can PSG be after that?

Again, that's not how life works. It ripples out and changes the courses of events.

PSG scores there from a penalty there (and a potential red card to Masche) and it's 3-2 with 2 mins to go.
There is no 6-2, just 3-2.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Can you tell me what the mood is in Paris? How is the media reacting? I know PSG have monopolized Ligue 1 in the last 4 years so fans of their rivals have got to be happy. But this has got to be one of the darkest days in French football history.
Mocking PSG most of the time I'd say. Turns out many fans suddenly didn't feel like fans anymore, like all those fairweather losers.
Personally, I'm no PSG fan, but I support any french team in Europe (even OM) and I find this terrible, even for the future of the club. My son (PSG fan through and through) has been very affected by it, especially by the reffing, but I tried to explain him a team playing like this shouldn't be in the next round over Barcelona.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
but I tried to explain him a team playing like this shouldn't be in the next round over Barcelona.

I still don't understand this line of reasoning.
Barca was just as poor in the first leg - just without getting shafted by the refs.
Over the two legs they "deserved" it - or didn't - just as much.

And again, no Suarez dive called, no penalty, no injury time come back and the whole 6-1 score line doesn't exist.
It ends 3-1 or 3-2 or 4-1, depending on which ref decision you'd like to pick to stick (Neymar red, Mache foul, Suarez dive) and PSG glide to the next round in those last 5 mins.

Last edited:

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
First leg, Barça played poor
Second leg, PSG played scared

Fair enough.
Noone is denying PSG choked.
But only Barca fans (and not even all of them) are denying that the ref helped them on the way.

I mean, it's not like people are saying it's a grand conspiracy to push Barca through.
It's Nou Camp, so many people asking for calls and getting on the ref's back - he's only human, takes a top ref to handle that. And not many are left, especially with Clatternburg gone now.

The diving? I mean, it's not like its endemic to Barcelona.
If its a Croatia dive in a WC, you laugh, you're embarrassed, but ultimately you admit it, take the win if you got it, and run away with that. It's unfair and horrible for the team that gets cheated, but it's gonna happen to you at some point.
Whether its vs Germany in the 96 EURO or Brazil in the last WC, you always remember refereeing injustice.

Unfortunately, diving is such a low-risk-high-reward play (yellow card vs a game-changing penalty) that most players do it. Guys like Suarez, Neymar or Cristiano Ronaldo just take it to another level, but as long as the FAs/UEFA/FIFA don't start retroactively banning players for simulation, it's not gonna change.

The main difference between the Premier League vs La Liga right now, for me, is the football culture, both from the fans and the players.
Don't get me wrong, PL players dive and simulate and embellish, but nowhere near what the La Liga players do. Nor do they surround the ref every call. Nor do the fans get on ref's back every single call asking for all kinds of silly calls.

It takes away from the game, and yes, I loathe it.
The sooner surrounding the refs gets punished with the yellow every time (it's starting to happen in England), the sooner divers get retroactively suspended, the better the football will be.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Union racks up another win as Stuttgart is once again held to a draw. We're now just two points out of first place in BuLi 2! With Polter back in the fold in front of Kreilach & Kroos, and Furstner helping really solidify our defense; this team is really rolling. I don't think I'll ever fully trust our defense, but it's doing it's job very well while we continue to pill up the goals & possession.

With BMG facing a winnable, but potentially tricksy, trip to Hamburg on Sunday...as HSV hasn't lost at home in the league since their November 5th 5-2 loss to Dortmund; although BMG beat them in Hamburg just two weeks ago in the cup...before hosting the second leg against Schalke; this football season just keeps getting more & more exciting. Really hoping that Gladbach can beat HSV while rotating some players before the EL match so that they can really put on a show when it comes time to decide the tie, as they have been all ruckrunde. A 4-1 heading into the quarterfinals would be a great way to continue building up their confidence in this competition.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Fair enough.
Noone is denying PSG choked.
But only Barca fans (and not even all of them) are denying that the ref helped them on the way.

I mean, it's not like people are saying it's a grand conspiracy to push Barca through.
It's Nou Camp, so many people asking for calls and getting on the ref's back - he's only human, takes a top ref to handle that. And not many are left, especially with Clatternburg gone now.

The diving? I mean, it's not like its endemic to Barcelona.
If its a Croatia dive in a WC, you laugh, you're embarrassed, but ultimately you admit it, take the win if you got it, and run away with that. It's unfair and horrible for the team that gets cheated, but it's gonna happen to you at some point.
Whether its vs Germany in the 96 EURO or Brazil in the last WC, you always remember refereeing injustice.

Unfortunately, diving is such a low-risk-high-reward play (yellow card vs a game-changing penalty) that most players do it. Guys like Suarez, Neymar or Cristiano Ronaldo just take it to another level, but as long as the FAs/UEFA/FIFA don't start retroactively banning players for simulation, it's not gonna change.

The main difference between the Premier League vs La Liga right now, for me, is the football culture, both from the fans and the players.
Don't get me wrong, PL players dive and simulate and embellish, but nowhere near what the La Liga players do. Nor do they surround the ref every call. Nor do the fans get on ref's back every single call asking for all kinds of silly calls.

It takes away from the game, and yes, I loathe it.
The sooner surrounding the refs gets punished with the yellow every time (it's starting to happen in England), the sooner divers get retroactively suspended, the better the football will be.

:facepalm:

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
He might get suspended because he's a $hit referee overall and a coward. He was afraid to send off a couple of players but at least he made one very good call the last penalty!!!!

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
He might get suspended because he's a $hit referee overall and a coward. He was afraid to send off a couple of players but at least he made one very good call the last penalty!!!!

Which he didn't even make, the assistant did. Or was that the first one? I can't remember.

mmk786

Mar 3, 2004
First one, which was the more obvious call, and he had a great view of it as well. Dont know how he can call the second one but waive off the first one.

The worst piece of reffing i thought was not giving Neymar a second yellow for blatantly kicking the PSG defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->