GWT: UEFA Champions League Round of 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
One of the rare times you'll see a Man United legend and a Liverpool legend celebrating together like they were best friends.

But why were they rooting for Barça?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
In Gerrard's case two of his friends play there.

Maybe Ferdinand and Pique are close as well but I don't know.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
One of the rare times you'll see a Man United legend and a Liverpool legend celebrating together like they were best friends.

They weren't rooting for Barcelona, they were rooting for footballing magic. What we saw tonight goes beyond football, beyond diving and complaining about the ref, beyond choking/bottling, beyond everything on earth. We saw magic.

I never liked the club and never will, and I was downright ecstatic when they scored the last three goals. It's magic man, nothing else to say.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
They weren't rooting for Barcelona, they were rooting for footballing magic. What we saw tonight goes beyond football, beyond diving and complaining about the ref, beyond choking/bottling, beyond everything on earth. We saw magic.

I never liked the club and never will, and I was downright ecstatic when they scored the last three goals. It's magic man, nothing else to say.

Same for me, I actually wanted Barca to go out and then the comeback happened and I was losing my ****.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Can't wait to watch the highlights to this and see how Grief Merchants FC managed to slither into the next round

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Can't wait to watch the highlights to this and see how Grief Merchants FC managed to slither into the next round

Suarez looked like he got shot. There seemed to be some leg contact but not enough to be a penalty.
Suarez had contact on his legs that impeded him. And then also an arm across. He went down because he HAD to go down, because he wanted to win. End of story.

No slithering this time, just pure footballing joy.

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki
6041872509_564e9eb8f3_b.jpg

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The ****ing state of this PSG defence :biglaugh:

Suarez had contact on his legs that impeded him. And then also an arm across. He went down because he HAD to go down, because he wanted to win. End of story.

No slithering this time, just pure footballing joy.

Three dives in the box, two penalties, a 4-0 aggregate deficit overturned. If you're sure though

c3AYrbg.png

Some amount of scenes at the end.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
The ****ing state of this PSG defence :biglaugh:

Three dives in the box, two penalties, a 4-0 aggregate deficit overturned. If you're sure though

c3AYrbg.png

Some amount of scenes at the end.
Both penalty calls could be considered legitimate. Suarez made a meal of the second one but he had to, the ref wasn't going to see the leg contact. Most fans wouldn't either.

I don't wanna be all fanboy here, when Bayern demolished Barcelona, Barcelona fans were clamoring that two or three or however many of Bayern's goals were illegitimate or some penalties should've/shouldn't've been called. Mehhhh.

Barcelona showed what they're made of tonight and I think it's absolutely tremendous and transcends the regular post-match squabbles. We even saw the ref not send of Verratti when he totally could have, because he too knew that there was magic in the air and didn't want to stop the play. Barcelona was just on another level.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Epic match. I don't blame PSG for choking quite as much as everyone else does. Barca is literally the only team in the world, club or country, capable of this kind of comeback - their A+ offensive game is enough to capitulate every defense in the world.

As for the Suarez dive on the 5th goal though his play-acting was atrocious the fact is that 1) he had position on Marquinhos at the point of the foul, 2) Marquinhos was not playing the ball even though he did not have position, and 3) without contact on the leg Suarez would reach the ball resulting in a goal or glorious scoring chance missed. That said if the exact same thing happened in the 90th minute of a CL final with the score tied I don't think the ref would call a penalty.

Last edited:

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
What an unbelievable choke job by PSG. I get the impulse to credit Barca's unreal offensive line, but the even the first two goals to give them any lifeline in this tie were unbelievably amateurish defended. Then they take the lifeline away with their goal, and just disconnect.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I was on the Camp Nou today and I feel privileged to witness one of the greatest comebacks in soccer history.

The stadium was roaring for most of the game (except 10 minutes after Cavani's goal) and it was a great atmosphere, the best one I've experienced by miles.

Barça fought for it and got it, but this was no master class like the 2-6 at Bernabeu, PSG choked this one.
The first two goals were amateur defending, the 3rd was.. a weird penalty and the 5th a stupid decision by Marquinhos (though it wasn't a penalty and the ref gifted one us there). I thought the ref was horrible in general.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
What's more impressive this or Istanbul? Holy ****... I'd say Istanbul since it was the final but still this has to be one of the greatest comebacks in the history of sports.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I was on the Camp Nou today and I feel privileged to witness one of the greatest comebacks in soccer history.

The stadium was roaring for most of the game (except 10 minutes after Cavani's goal) and it was a great atmosphere, the best one I've experienced by miles.

Barça fought for it and got it, but this was no master class like the 2-6 at Bernabeu, PSG choked this one.
The first two goals were amateur defending, the 3rd was.. a weird penalty and the 5th a stupid decision by Marquinhos (though it wasn't a penalty and the ref gifted one us there). I thought the ref was horrible in general.

He always is

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
What's more impressive this or Istanbul? Holy ****... I'd say Istanbul since it was the final but still this has to be one of the greatest comebacks in the history of sports.

This is definitely up there but for me it's Istanbul... considering you had to turn the momentum at half time and it was a final.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Istanbul in the way that Milan didn't really collapse, they were still playing well.

This in the way that the comeback was left so late in the game. That being said, Trapp could have easily stopped the free kick and dove out of the way of the last goal.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Let's not forget the Dortmund comeback vs Malaga either. Not as many goals to the comeback as this, and not a final like Istanbul, but still right there in my biased opinion. :D

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad