UEFA Champions League Group Stage Draw (8/25/2016)

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
CquFfxEWAAAzLWR.jpg

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I feel pretty good about Arsenal's chances in their group. PSG are no pushovers, but I do think they'll miss Zlatan. Wenger historically has a great record vs. French teams.
I'd be surprised to see Arsenal top PSG in that group. Most likely 2nd again. But they could draw Leicester or Porto or Benfica in the R16 while PSG can win their group and draw Atletico or City, so....

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
A: Easy to call, PSG and Arsenal advance with Basel going to the EL

B: Tough to call the winner of the group, this is Sarri's first trip in the CL and you would hope they perform better than they did under Rafa. Besiktas were one of the tougher Pot 4 teams especially in Istanbul. Going with Benfica and Napoli and Besiktas in the EL

C: Gladbach will take points off City but at the end of the day still Barca, City with Gladbach going to EL

D: Bayern and Atletico easy, will go with Rostov in the EL although PSV seem stronger than Ajax

E: Hard to call, CSKA will get their points at home but will probably lose all three away matches. Will say Spurs win the group, Leverkusen in second and Monaco in EL

F: Dortmund and Madrid fight for first, could see Dortmund give Madrid problems but also have a feeling Dortmund may struggle in the away games. Real Madrid and Dortmund advance, Sporting in EL

G: Don't even know what to say...I'll say Porto just based off experience win the group with Leicester coming in second. Brugge in the EL

H: Sevilla will push Juve but Juve win the group with Sevilla in 2nd and for once not winning the EL, Lyon in third

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
A:

Paris
Arsenal

Basel
Ludogorets

B:

Napoli
Dinamo Kyiv

Benfica
Besiktas

C:

Barcelona
Man City

Gladbach
Celtic

D:

Bayern
Atletico

PSV
Rostov

E:

Leverkusen
Spurs

Monaco
CSKA

F:

Dortmund
Real

Sporting
Legia

G:

Leicester
Porto

Brugge
Kobenhavn

H:

Juve
Sevilla

Lyon
Zagreb

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I wouldn't be surprised if Brugge or Copenhagen got results against Leicester. Both teams have more European experience and their players are more used to efficient energy management.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
True Fekir has one Raffael in each leg :D

Lamela isn't half bad either BTW.

Damn must he be dumb if he's not the GOAT with that much talent. :amazed:

This is why he should come study under the brilliant brazilian next year. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Prediction time!

Group A
1. PSG
2. Arsenal
3. Basel
4. Ludogorets

This one seems pretty straightforward. Ludogorets could salvage some points at home and I fully expect Arsenal to drop points to one of Ludogorets or Basel at the Emirates

Group B
1. Napoli
2. Benfica
3. Besiktas
4. Dynamo Kyiv

This group doesn't really impress me much.

Group C
1. Barcelona
2. Man City
3. Gladbach
4. Celtic

IF Pep weren't at City and there hadn't been a summer of strong signings, I'd switch Gladbach and Citeh. I'm tempted to do so regardless because Gladbach always troubled Pep's Bayern.

Group D
1. Bayern
2. Atletico
3. Rostov
4. PSV

The two top teams are pretty clearly the top teams. I have Rostov over PSV because I think traveling to Russia will be more disruptive, giving Rostov the opportunity to pick up points

Group E
1. Leverkusen
2. Monaco
3. Tottenham
4. CSKA Moscow

Four relatively even teams. Monaco has done well in Europe and I think Leverkusen is the most talented team. Tottenham drops down to their familiar Europa League

Group F
1. Dortmund
2. Real Madrid
3. Sporting
4. Legia

I have Dortmund over Real Madrid because I think Dortmund's depth and tactics will do wonders for them

Group G
1. Porto
2. Leicester
3. Club Brugge
4. Copenhagen

Leicester lucked out and got a draw they could advance from. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see any of the last three teams move on. It'll be interesting to see how Leicester deals with increased competitions.

Group H
1. Juventus
2. Sevilla
3. Zagreb
4. Lyon

Sorry Evilo. For some reason, I see Lyon crashing out spectacularly.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Damn must be dumb if he's not the GOAT with that much talent. :amazed:

This is why he should come study under the brilliant brazilian next year. :sarcasm:

Actually Fekir's potential is crazy. He's got top top talent. No idea how high his ceiling is.
We'll see this year if he can come back from his injury with the same quality though.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011

B: Tough to call the winner of the group, this is Sarri's first trip in the CL and you would hope they perform better than they did under Rafa. Besiktas were one of the tougher Pot 4 teams especially in Istanbul. Going with Benfica and Napoli and Besiktas in the EL

C: Gladbach will take points off City but at the end of the day still Barca, City with Gladbach going to EL

D: Bayern and Atletico easy, will go with Rostov in the EL although PSV seem stronger than Ajax

E: Hard to call, CSKA will get their points at home but will probably lose all three away matches. Will say Spurs win the group, Leverkusen in second and Monaco in EL

F: Dortmund and Madrid fight for first, could see Dortmund give Madrid problems but also have a feeling Dortmund may struggle in the away games. Real Madrid and Dortmund advance, Sporting in EL

G: Don't even know what to say...I'll say Porto just based off experience win the group with Leicester coming in second. Brugge in the EL

H: Sevilla will push Juve but Juve win the group with Sevilla in 2nd and for once not winning the EL, Lyon in third

This mostly sums up my feelings as well. I don't rate Lyon on the same level as Sevilla. Besiktas will be an easier opponent without Gomez.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Group H
1. Juventus
2. Sevilla
3. Zagreb
4. Lyon

Sorry Evilo. For some reason, I see Lyon crashing out spectacularly.

:)
Not this year. They'll finish no worse than 3rd. Possibly second.
That is obviously if they keep Lacazette. Under their new coach, Lyon has been very very impressive (since december last year in fact). And Fekir's back :yo:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
People should not underrate Lyon this year. Their young team is one year older, Fekir's back, their new coach has proved to be extremely competitive.
The only question mark is the central D. Nkoulou is highly talented but getting used to his new team. Mbiwa is more of a weakness, but they have Mammana behind him.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
I think we play at our best when nothing is expected of us. And there are zero expectations from that group, so maybe we can cause an upset or two at Celtic Park.

There's literally no pressure on us.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Actually Fekir's potential is crazy. He's got top top talent. No idea how high his ceiling is.
We'll see this year if he can come back from his injury with the same quality though.

Oh I know. Fekir & Correa are my dream Raffael-successors for a reason...though I'll settle for Avdijaj & Hagi...

I was just joking that if a player had Raffael's talent in each leg he'd be the GOAT with even basic levels of on pitch intelligence because Raffael's so amazing. He had a much better case for the BuLi's player of the year award than he got credit for, and he looks even sharper this go-around; while the chemistry with Stindl, Traore & Hazard/Hahn is just beautiful to watch.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
As for Monaco, they really have a talented team. Probably with way too many offensive options.
But they don't produce on the pitch. They look uninspired and without any tactical structure offensively.
THEY could crash in flames.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
ter Stegen vs Bravo, plus vs his boyhood club.

Looking at that group and the league schedule around the CL games, thank god Barca brought in reinforcements this summer.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
People should not underrate Lyon this year. Their young team is one year older, Fekir's back, their new coach has proved to be extremely competitive.
The only question mark is the central D. Nkoulou is highly talented but getting used to his new team. Mbiwa is more of a weakness, but they have Mammana behind him.

Ghezzal will take OL to the promised land :)

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Was actually hoping to see Mochengladbach get an easier group, but to be honest I wouldn't at all be surprised if they upset City.

Atletico and PSV can continue where they left off last season. If Lacazette stays at Lyon I could see them upsetting Sevilla also. The Moscow group seems the most interesting. Any of them could advance, and in any order.

All in all a pretty neat draw. The knockouts should be interesting.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004

You know your stuff. Well done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad