UEFA Champions League Group Stage Draw (8/25/2016)

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
The field of 32 is set with the 10 qualifying matches being completed the last two days. The group stage draw which takes place tomorrow in Monaco at 18:00 CET (Noon ET) will feature two debutants in Leicester City and Rostov. Like last season, the champions of the top leagues + reigning CL champions are seeded and Russian/Ukrainian teams cannot be drawn against each other

Code:
[U]POT 1                             POT 2[/U]
Real Madrid (ESP)           Atletico Madrid (ESP)
Barcelona (ESP)             Borussia Dortmund (GER)
Bayern Munich (GER)      Arsenal (ENG)
Benfica (POR)                Manchester City (ENG)
Paris St. Germain (FRA)  Sevilla (ESP)
Juventus (ITA)              FC Porto (POR)
CSKA Moscow (RUS)      Napoli (ITA)
Leicester City (ENG)       Bayer Leverkusen (GER)

[U]POT 3                            POT 4[/U]
FC Basel (SUI)              Celtic (SCO)
Tottenham (ENG)          Monaco (FRA)
Dynamo Kiev (UKR)       Besiktas (TUR)
Lyon (FRA)                  Legia Warsaw (POL)
PSV Eindhoven (NED)    Ludogorets Razgrad (BUL)
Sporting CP (POR)        Dinamo Zagreb (CRO)
Club Brugge (BEL)       FC Copenhagen (DEN)
Borussia Monchengladbach (GER)  Rostov (RUS)

Last edited:

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
How is that a joke, Tottenham haven't made the CL in six years and City were in the semis last season.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
How is that a joke, Tottenham haven't made the CL in six years and City were in the semis last season.

Yeah lol. Fortunately the UEFA coefficients aren't based only on your league performance the previous season. I'm not sure what else Tottenham has on City.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Leicester (obviously) would have been a pot 4 team if they weren't the league winners, CSKA Moscow would have been near the bottom of pot 3.

The rest of the pot 1 teams all "deserved" to be in pot 1 based on coefficient, although Leicester and CSKA displaced BVB and Atleti who are among the top 8 in the rankings.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Dream draw for Arsenal in terms of advancing and limiting travel would have to be:

Benfica
Arsenal
Basel/Brugge
Celtic

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Madrid Dortmund and Spurs for Celtic please. A minimum of four goals against per game against a defence with a 35 year old in it and an increasingly hopeless goalie would be quite the chortle inducer.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Teams I'd like Dortmund to draw: PSG/Barca (interesting matches) OR Benfica/CSKA/Leicester (very beatable teams), Sporting, Rostov (or a closer team with less travel).

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
A defense

Results-wise tho.

Madrid Dortmund and Spurs for Celtic please. A minimum of four goals against per game against a defence with a 35 year old in it and an increasingly hopeless goalie would be quite the chortle inducer.

Heck no. Dortmund has already played Spurs and Madrid (thrice for six matches) in the past four years. I want new opponents.

Last edited:

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
I have zero expectations, but anything can happen at Celtic Park with the crowd behind the team.

I'd like to see some investment in the squad too. A RB and holding midfielder are desperately needed.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Heck no. Dortmund has already played Spurs and Madrid (thrice for six matches) in the past four years. I want new opponents.

Man City appear able to slap teams about while playing someone wearing #11 at centre-half, I'm sure they'd be an ample replacement.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Man City appear able to slap teams about while playing someone wearing #11 at centre-half, I'm sure they'd be an ample replacement.

Have you filed a grievance with the number police about Kolarov yet?

And if you had City, you'd have to replace Tottenham.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
They'd botch it and finish 2nd in the group anyways.

Haven't played Real Madrid in a decade.

I wouldn't mind a team like Real Madrid or Juventus.

In terms of my other team in the CL, for Gladbach, I'd like to see:

Leicester
Napoli
Gladbach
Celtic

I think all these games would be decently fun and Gladbach would have a good chance of advancing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->