UEFA Champions League Group Stage Draw (8/25/2016)

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
God damn are citeh fans feeling cocky. They know that Pep's only gotten 2 out of a possible 12 points from BMG over the past two years, right? And that with a stronger team than he has in Manchester while BMG's depth was weaker than it is now?

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
God damn are citeh fans feeling cocky. They know that Pep's only gotten 2 out of a possible 12 points from BMG over the past two years, right? And that with a stronger team than he has in Manchester while BMG's depth was weaker than it is now?

Citeh and monchengladbach will be fighting for the europa league spot.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011

Come on. I'd expect a "Citeh have fans?" joke from you.

Citeh and monchengladbach will be fighting for the europa league spot.

jj.png

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

No Xhaka

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
lol citeh closing stands for the BMG & Celtic fixtures. Good. The Gladbach fans celebration will be even more clear for all to hear.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Citeh should just give a bigger allocation to celtic away fans then. Let the oasis brothers sit in between dividing the different sets of supporters

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Citeh should just give a bigger allocation to celtic away fans then. Let the oasis brothers sit in between dividing the different sets of supporters

If they wanted to fill the stadium then obviously they could just sell more tickets to gladbach fans. But they don't want their fans to be drowned out by the away supporters again, like they were for most of the match at the etihad last season.

mmk786

Mar 3, 2004
City beat monchungladbach in both games last year, so obviously fans would expect that again now that they have a better coach and team.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
City beat monchungladbach in both games last year, so obviously fans would expect that again now that they have a better coach and team.

A better coach who's gotten 2 points of a possible 12 points against BMG with a better Bayern Munich team? Nevermind that City was clearly outplayed at the etihad for well over an hour before an injury ravaged BMG just ran out of gas, or that they needed a last minute penalty to be gifted to them to break the tie in germany after BMG missed a penalty of their own; or that BMG are stronger & deeper this season themselves.

I know we can't expect City fans to know much about any other teams, but you'd think they'd at least have watched their own team's matches with BMG...Oh well, will make it more fun when Gladbach takes 4 of 6 points off of Pep again.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
I think Celtic will likely get humped by Barcelona in the opener. Expecting nothing from that.

Call me crazy, but I think we can get something from City at home. I think that team could crumble under the pressure.

mmk786

Mar 3, 2004
A better coach who's gotten 2 points of a possible 12 points against BMG with a better Bayern Munich team? Nevermind that City was clearly outplayed at the etihad for well over an hour before an injury ravaged BMG just ran out of gas, or that they needed a last minute penalty to be gifted to them to break the tie in germany after BMG missed a penalty of their own; or that BMG are stronger & deeper this season themselves.

I know we can't expect City fans to know much about any other teams, but you'd think they'd at least have watched their own team's matches with BMG...Oh well, will make it more fun when Gladbach takes 4 of 6 points off of Pep again.
Are you disagreeing with my original assertion that guardiola is a better manager than Pellegrini?

The rest of your post is just filled with excuses (ran out of gas lol) and is dripping with irony considering your earlier lament about city fans being cocky.

I am not even saying city will win, they could very well lose but given past results, city fans can be excused for feeling confident.

mmk786

Mar 3, 2004
Call me crazy, but I think we can get something from City at home. I think that team could crumble under the pressure.
Maybe so, but you will be lucky to get anything from moenchengladbach unless they choose to run out of gas ofcourse.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Are you disagreeing with my original assertion that guardiola is a better manager than Pellegrini?

The rest of your post is just filled with excuses (ran out of gas lol) and is dripping with irony considering your earlier lament about city fans being cocky.

I am not even saying city will win, they could very well lose but given past results, city fans can be excused for feeling confident.

Not at all; just pointing out that he has struggled with Gladbach. So even though Pep is a better coach than Pellegrini, it should surprise no one if he gets worse results against BMG than Pellegrini did...given that that's exactly what has happened lately, even though Pep had a much stronger team at his disposal.

Looking at why things happened in the past isn't excuse making. Exhaustion is a real issue for teams not dripping in oil money, especially when injury crises occur during very busy stretches of the seaason. I recently re-watched that match at the etihad; and Gladbach were confidently out playing Citeh for over an hour in that match before their legs gave out (most visible with Mo Dahoud) and citeh was able to turn around Gladbach's 2-1 lead in the final 11 minutes...aka when the english fans finally started singing...

So they can be confident if they just look up last season's results, but if they watched the matches or remember being in that stadium during that match, they shouldn't be. Not with the way those two matches actually played out or with Pep's struggles against a BMG side; who are stronger than they were while taking 8 of 12 points off of Pep's Bayern.

Last edited:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Not at all; just pointing out that he has struggled with Gladbach. So even though Pep is a better coach than Pellegrini, it should surprise no one if he gets worse results against BMG than Pellegrini did...given that that's exactly what has happened lately, even though Pep had a much stronger team at his disposal.

Looking at why things happened in the past isn't excuse making. Exhaustion is a real issue for teams not dripping in oil money, especially when injury crises occur during very busy stretches of the seaason. I recently re-watched that match at the etihad; and Gladbach were confidently out playing Citeh for over an hour in that match before their legs gave out (most visible with Mo Dahoud) and citeh was able to turn around Gladbach's 2-1 lead in the final 11 minutes...aka when the english fans finally started singing...

So they can be confident if they just look up last season's results, but if they watched the matches or remember being in that stadium during that match, they shouldn't be. Not with the way those two matches actually played out or with Pep's struggles against a BMG side; who are stronger than they were while taking 8 of 12 points off of Pep's Bayern.

Despite their oil money, City still has depth problems. The team was night and day last year without Kompany, they are still heavily reliant on Aguero for goal-scoring, etc.

I hope you'll forgive me, but the excuses for why a certain German team couldn't beat a certain English team sometimes boggle the mind. There are no excuses in sports. You win or you don't. Do you ever hear anyone saying that George Foreman was really the better boxer the whole match so even though Ali technically won, it wasn't really deserved and was just because Foreman's legs gave out??

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I hope you'll forgive me, but the excuses for why a certain German team couldn't beat a certain English team sometimes boggle the mind. There are no excuses in sports. You win or you don't. Do you ever hear anyone saying that George Foreman was really the better boxer the whole match so even though Ali technically won, it wasn't really deserved and was just because Foreman's legs gave out??

I hope you'll forgive me, but I laughed heartily reading this post with your other coarse generalization about not being able to judge players from other leagues because our perceptions are always informed by our biases. But I'm sure certain no one ever makes excuses for English teams when they lose to certain German teams. No, it just goes one way.

Accepting the validity of the result is different from predicting whether the result is likely to occur again. If a team was badly outplayed in one match but still won, that's unlikely to happen again.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
So my wife and I are visiting her friends in Madrid and they've scored tickets for us to see Atletico Madrid vs Bayern late this September. First game in Europe. Any suggestions?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad