WJC: U.S. WJC Team (Roster Post #486)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sb24

Jan 8, 2010
Navajo country
Not to nitpick here as I may very well agree with the Hayes over Watson argument after I get to see Hayes play but that's a weird argument to use against Watson when K. Hayes himself has the second worst +/- on BC (one ahead of Kreider) with a -3.

Well I guess you sort of have me there. Tho he is one of the younger players in the league (-3), not one of the older (-22). Hayes brings much more skill imo. I just plain don't like players who are nothing more then checkers. I could be wrong but I see Watson as a checker.

rangersfan212

Jun 18, 2010
The Island
Hayes will be on team. Zero chance he will be on 4th line. He is up to 6'4", still growing and has a skill package and hockey IQ as high as anyone, hockey IQ higher.

He was a first round pick by Chicago, who loves him and was drafted ahead of Coyle for example

If you really think he is being brought in as a 4th line player, I would like to discuss the GM job for the NY Islanders with you.

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
J.T Miller is going to be just what the doctor ordered. Great skill and Really likes to mix it up.
i'm still not sold on Watson. I think they will go with Hayes. Also I don't see how Ambroz would be left off this team. He would need to drop a long ways. imo. Should be a fun year. Seems like the talent we get to talk about each year is getting better and better. Makes it fun.
There's plenty of power forwards and Ambroz turned down the USNTDP. Those two strikes will hurt his chances.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I havent posted since the US/Canada game, and for those that were concerned (all two of you I'm sure), I did not hang myself from my balcony.

I would first off like to say that Coach Allain should never be allowed to coach a USA team again. Period. I respect the man for sacrificing his life, time, and his current NCAA team to do this, but of all the coaches out there, we pick the guy that didnt medal his previous two times. Now this isnt a crap fest on Allain, but the fact is this guy just didnt get it. His line combos were horrible, even the Canadian fans in the crowd couldnt believe how long he was sticking with the same lethargic combos.

Allain was/is the coach of the #1 team in all of college hockey, and that is a great accomplishment in itself. But, this tournament is a different beast, and these players arent formated as easily into a system as his Yale kids where. I just simply did not see any excitement from the man at all. Blais wasnt jumping around all over the place, but you could just sense a feel of confidence that came off of him every time he talked..Allain sounded dumbfounded at times.

This was a talented team, and I am proud they still did medal....but it is the way they lost that bothers me so much. That Canadian game was everything that I said was going to happen. The US picked a team more familiar with one another as opposed to a team that has some guys familiar with its enemy. The sad part was this team did not play like it knew each other at all.

I made my feelings known about the CHL Americans not picked for this team, and I strongly stand by it still. I cant predict an outcome would be different with Levi, Hostetter, Saad, and Watson on this team, but dammit I will bet my ass that Canada game wouldnt have looked as bad as it did.

There had to be 90% of that team that just looked lost or out classed on the ice against Canada, and that simply wouldnt have happened with the likes of Levi, Watson, Saad, and Hostetter on this squad. I am not saying we would have won, but we sure as hell wouldnt have looked like that.

To Allain's defense, the majority of our returnees looked horrible. If you are going to win, you will need your leaders and example setters to step up their play and get you to the promised land. That did not happen. D'Amigo was honestly the worst forward on the ice most nights out. Bourque and Morin did absolutely crap offensively. Zucker was hurt but the scoring wasnt there. Palmieri was solid at times, and Kreider turned it on a bit too late, but the bulk simply sucked.

Also consider the way the majority of the bigger players played on this team and it is appauling. Forbort, Merrill, and Dumoulin looked like choir boys out there. They hit nothing! Shore wasnt a physical force, and though I liked him a lot, Mitch Callahan simply did not perform to that fireball level I saw from him earlier in the year.

The most amazing part is the guy I did not want on this team the most; Chris Brown, was probably my favorite player by the end. That kid threw his body at everyone and got goals that the other big guys didnt; by crashing the net and putting fear in the dmen. I apologize for what I said about Brown, you sir deserved to be here, and in all honesty were one of the few brightspots on a team full of eclipses.

If USA Hockey is to truly win more gold medals, they need to use the 2010 team model and select more CHL Americans as long as there are viable kids there. Next years team will have no shortage of CHL Americans to chose from, and I simply might turn my USA Hockey card in if they dont select : Ebert, Levi, Watson, Prince, Galchenyuk, Jacobs, and Saad for this team. Plus dynamos like McColgan, Noesen and Trocheck wil make a case as well as Tinordi and Lane. Simply too much talent there to ignore now. .......and ofcourse Jared Knight still looms.

I am happy these kids rebounded and brought home back to back medals for the first time, but there was so much more these kids could and should have accomplished with better coaching and a better selection process. I said this process reminded me of the 05 squad, though they got the bronze, the end result was the same.

I pray Jeff Jackson or Mike Eaves takes back this ship. These are the top two choices I have as NCAA coaches go. I would really love Scott Gordon to coach this team next year to be perfectly honest. If not back in an NHL job, this guy needs to be the coach for these kids. Step up USA Hockey and get a prime time coach for once.

If USA Hockey is to right the ship, then they need to have 4-5 legitimate power forwards like the 2010 team did (Jenks, Walker, Kreider, McRae, etc). This 2012 team could have a real nasty team if they go CHL Americans: Jacobs, Noesen, Saad, Ambroz, Lane, Bjugstad, Biggs, and Miller all can bring some serious muscle, beef, and scoring. They need to have these kids like the 96 US World Cup team went with Guerin, Tkachuk, Otto, Leclair, and Deadmarsh....we know what they did.

and by the way, Brock Nelson looked absolutely horrible most nights. that kid looked completely lost out there. he was the cause for most of his injuries/big hits against..kid keeps turning his back on players and your going to get crushed. did not see anything much to like about him, not a soul on Earth can tell me he deserved to be there more then Austin Watson did. Not a single soul.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Way too early for this but I'm bored and it's always fun to look back on these and see how my opinions have changed on the lineup and with certain players. With that, here's an early prediction for the 2012 USA WJC Team.

Forwards (x13):

Matt Nieto - Charlie Coyle* - Brandon Saad
Jason Zucker* - Rocco Grimaldi - Emerson Etem*
Shane Prince - Nick Bjugstad* - Stefan Noesen
J.T. Miller - Austin Watson - Tyler Biggs
Michael Mersch

Defense (x7):

Jon Merrill* - Justin Faulk*
Derek Forbort* - Adam Clendening
Jamie Oleksiak - Nick Ebert
Austin Levi

Goalies (x2)

Jack Campbell* (starter)
John Gibson

* denotes returning player.

A few notes....

- A few battles to watch IMO include a group of smaller but dynamic wingers (Nieto, Prince, McColgan) and the group of power forwards (Biggs, Ambroz, Jacobs).

- Right now I have Oleksiak and Levi with the upper hand for the "shutdown" roles but guys like Stephen Johns and Jarred Tinordi will be in competition as well.

- I think Nick Ebert makes this team. The US group of '94 d-men right now looks pretty special and Ebert is the best of that bunch. USA Hockey will be smart to incorporate at least one of them if they're deserving, despite their youth, given the lack of depth in the '93 group. Potentially replacing an entire D core in 2013 wouldn't be ideal otherwise and if Ebert keeps progressing as he has, there's no reason for him not to be here over any '93 we could offer up.

- Andy Iles is the only potential returnee I don't see coming back. With Campbell back next year and the clear #1 again for the entire tournament, I think they'll look to incorporate one of the '93 goalies to help the transition from Campbell in time and right now Gibson is the best of that bunch.

- Here's the list where I speculated on who would receive invites to the Summer Evaluation Camp. It'd be nice to see Jared Knight get an invite because I think he'd fit in nicely where I have Stefan Noesen currently but I won't believe the rift is over until it happens.

I am going to say that there might be 1-2 eligible returning players may not make this team next year. I firmly think Iles is one of them, but there could be another if this depth really does rise and forces USA Hockey to make a choice and say sorry kid, there are just too many others that we want at this time. I dont know who that may be, but dont be shocked if it happens.

If I could select a team as it stands, my 2012 WJC USA team would be very big, and heavily CHL represented. I firmly feel that the US needs to beef up, but not only just add bigger players, but add bigger players that will get filthy out there. That is why there are a few kids on this team that can really make an impact that we didnt have this year.

GOALIES

Jack CAMPBELL - (chl) Simply the best, kid is the #1 man no doubt
John GIBSON - (ncaa) The heir to the throne gets plenty of bench duty this year

DEFENSE

Derek FORBORT (ncaa)- Did very little for me this tourney, but the kid has size and will only get better
Jon MERRILL - (ncaa) Though he made some bad passes in his zone, his overall game is second to none around
Justin FAULK - (ncaa) No longer a secret, this kid needs to shoot much much more, but also needs to hit the net when he does
Austin LEVI - (chl) Was a crime he didnt make the team last year, police crime scene tape has been removed for him to shut it down
Jamie OLEKSIAK - (ncaa) Absolute beast that almost got his chance..kid will put fear in everyone with his 6'7 frame and 240lbs
Scott MAYFIELD - (ncaa/chl) Another hulking bruiser that can actually play the game. 6'4 and growing, this kid has it all
Nick EBERT - (chl) this is Cam Fowler v2.0 without the lack of physicality. Best in his class, better damn be here.

FORWARDS

Jason ZUCKER (ncaa)- needs to be healthy, but can be dominating at times
Emerson ETEM - (chl) saw glimpses of his skill, but so much more is needed from the Cali native next year
Charlie COYLE - (ncaa) Best US forward this year, kid only gets stronger and better
Nick BJUGSTAD - (ncaa) Huge and raw describes Nick. Has the tools needs to get stronger with the puck and lay out more people as well
Austin WATSON -(chl) Should have been in Brock Nelsons place. kid plays with all heart and grit, exactly what we missed
Brandon SAAD -(chl) We need the power forward to play a Kreider type role, has all the tools for a top 5 pick
Tyler BIGGS - (ncaa) Another big strong kid, Tyler actually plays the game nasty and can also do the pretty stuff as well
Alex GALCHENYUK -(chl) If he sticks with his word, he is US bound, and we lacked his level of offense this year. STAR player
Shane PRINCE -(chl) deserved at least an invite to the camp, but this year will be his shining moment. all around player
Rocco GRIMALDI - (ncaa) The little guy does everything you could ask from a player, all world skills makes him a top threat
Colin JACOBS - (chl) No doubt he makes this team, this kid plays with a nasty edge and will make others pay a price
Kevin HAYES - (ncaa) Another big strong kid. At nearly 6'5 this man child will be a hard kid to knock off the puck
Matt NIETO -(ncaa) toss up for me between McColgan and Matt, but I am going with the better all around threat for this team

NOTES:

It was very hard to not pick Shane McColgan, Stefan Noesen, JT Miller, Seth Ambroz and Vincent Trocheck for this team. Players to also keep a serious eye on are Nick Shore, Mario Lucia, and Reid Boucher who all could have impressive NCAA seasons going on to warrant a selection. I felt my forwards were big and that is with leaving off Miller, Noesen, and Ambroz who all three are 6'2 plus, and all play nasty as well!

It was also very hard to not pick Adam Clendening, but I made my mind up and went with a defense that was bigger and stronger then this years squad. I have full faith in Faulk, Ebert, and Merrill being able to move the puck around. I was bigger on Clendening then Faulk a bit back, but Justin definitely showed me what he had!

Levi, Oleksiak, and Mayfield is just imposing to play against. Those three actually play like big men, and if Forbort can get a bit nasty as well, look out folks.

I like this team, though it is early, I think it can really make some serious noise next year and rival whatever Canada or whoever else can put out. This is a very big team that can punish you, but will also have some super skilled offensive forwards in Zucker, Grimaldi, Galchenyuk, and Nieto to balance things out.

Perfect mix of CHL and NCAA going on here..just like the 2010 team here.

the usual side note: Jared Knight would make this team, but until I see a summer invite, not wasting my time.

rangersfan212

Jun 18, 2010
The Island
The biggest farce is who picks the teams. To have these fools, and I repeat, FOOLS from US hockey do the selection is a joke

To bring in 3 BC d and most of the rest from natl team makes me sick. They do it to cover their a ss and validate their existance.

Torey Krug should have been there and should have been the captain. Ramage is all political and it was laughable to watch him knuckle puck up the middle 50 times a game. WHEN YOU HAVE POSSESION, KEEP IT AND MAKE A PLAY

Torey Krug has a better resume than anyone from their D corps. How many times did we have to watch Samuelson at a camp look like a cone to decide he couldnt be on the team.

Michigan State beat Michigan last night 4-3, Torey Krug had a hat trick, more goals than Samuelson and Dumoulin combined this year in 1 game. Both suck compared to him but he couldnt even get a chance to skate at one of the camps?

Why? Because usa hockey and the natl program is corrupt and run by scared people, scared to lose their jobs so they drive the Ramages etc down our throats.

Let the same guys who pick olympic team pick the kids, put Blais, Eaves, Jackson etc types on the bench and stay out of the way.

Surprised Clendenning didnt make it? He has sucked beyond belief theis year and looked like a cone at the camps. He should never have been part of the discussion. The olympic team has no problem leaving the right kids home and taking the best guys to round out the team. USA's D was scared of Canada and played like a flock of deer in the headlights. Krug was better than all of them, including Faulk, who does look good overhandling the puck and pretending he is quick but how many times did you see his number gliding in towards the goalie after another goal by the opposing team?

Torey Krug
2 time national champion with 90 Detroit Honeybake while playing up a year
won Silversticks
Won the Quebec tournament
Won national championship while playing at own age with Belle Tire
Won six Michigan state championships

Went to Indiana Ice/USHL as a 17 year old. Played there 1 year and did as follows
Team won the league championship. he had 47 points, next closest D was 2 + years older with 28 points. This put him 2nd in league for all dman as a 17 year old and broke Indiana's all time dman scoring record. In playoffs had 7 points and led team with a plus 11. Member of the USHL All-Rookie Team
Moved on to Michigan State as an 18 year old freshmen
As a freshmen, led all D in scoring with 21 points as well as 80 blocked shots. and named to all CCHA rookie team.
Was named the CCM CCHA Rookie of the Month for December, and earned the HCA National Rookie of the Month honors for December as well
Named the CCM CCHA Rookie of the Month for January, the second straight month he earned the honor .
Blocked a season-high nine shots in the CCHA quarterfinals against Michigan (3/12-13), with an assist in each game ... Finished the season on a four-game point-scoring streak, the longest active streak on the team.
Graduated with a 4.02 grade-point average from Cathedral High School in Indianapolis

East Lansing, Mich. - Michigan State sophomore captain Torey Krug has been named to the CCHA Preseason All-Conference Team, as announced today by the CCHA office.

Krug received the third-most votes of any blueliner in the conference, garnering three first-place votes and 30 points. An All-Rookie team selection a season ago, Krug had a 3-18-21 scoring line while playing approximately 24 minutes per game as a freshman. Krug was voted the captain of the Spartans by his teammates during summer workouts.

Aug. 31, 2010

East Lansing, Mich. - -- Michigan State hockey coach Rick Comley has announced that sophomore Torey Krug (Livonia, Mich.) will captain the Spartans in the upcoming season, with seniors Dustin Gazley (Novi, Mich.) and junior Trevor Nill (Novi, Mich.) serving as alternate captains.

Krug is only the second player in Michigan State history to wear a captain's "C" on his sweater as a sophomore. Detroit native Don McSween was a captain in the 1984-85 season, sharing the captaincy with Kelly Miller and Dan McFall. Krug becomes the only solo sophomore captain in program history.

"Torey has established himself as a leader in our locker room, and it's a testament to him that his teammates voted him to be their captain," said head coach Rick Comley, who is embarking on his ninth season behind the bench at Michigan State. "We saw those leadership qualities in him as we recruited him, and we knew that he would bring that to our program. Dustin Gazley and Trevor Nill are two hard-working players who expect the best of themselves and the others around them, and they are great leaders by example. It's their conduct, effort and initiative that has established them as leaders among their teammates, and the vote was very indicative of their stature in our locker room."

This year with Michigan State, he is second on the team in scoring with 18 points in 17 games, 3 times more than the next dman on the team.

Samuelson is 3rd on his team for d scoring and 4th in plus minus on D. Has been very sloppy, been to the WJC camp 3 times now, with the first 2 being the first rd cut group. has done zero this year on the ice to be there again.

I know there are many great canidates but none more so deserving, if so please provide info. USA hockey on purpose makes sure they only have Natl kids and other chosen ones there.

He at least deserved the chance to skate with the group and if got cut, so be it. Cant do that though, we need to see samuelson for the 5th or 6th time to realize that if his name was smith, he would still be playing 5th D for PC Changs team. Canada laughed when they saw our D corp and political picks

College Hockey:
Krug’s hat trick lifts Spartans past Wolverines in OT

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/recaps/2011/01...spartans-past-wolverines-in-ot/#ixzz1ASIg46Qv

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
You've certainly sold me on Krug. Sounds very worthy.

Is Ambroz' skating as big of an issue as I think it would be when dealing with the step up to the World Juniors?

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
People can say all they want about player selection but the reality is that this group of players failed to come together as a team. Blame the coaching staff or the individuals or both but don't try and argue that bringing this guy or that guy would have made the difference. The Canadians were on a mission in that semi game and they exploited a group that was poorly led and clearly overrated by the majority of us. That said, they were still the best we had to put out there. The only redeeming thing in all of this is that they showed up in the bronze medal game against a Swedish team that seemed even more upset about missing out on the gold medal game than they were themselves.

I don't expect that the very best teams we'll have going forward will be able to beat similar Canadian teams in similar situations every time but I hope that they'll at least put up a better fight more often than not. I also hope that we can create a gap between ourselves and the European countries, earning at least a medal in more tournaments than not going forward. I think that's all that any of us can realistically hope for in the foreseeable future.

Next year's team should be good. They should be good. It's anybody's guess if they actually will be though.

sb24

Jan 8, 2010
Navajo country
I don't get it...Why is Having Chl players the end all be all for us? yet Canada can do just fine with out the college guys.

Also Hayes will be on the 4th line is about the only option if he is to makes this team. Maybe they move Bjugstad to the wing.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
The one target I'd love to see next year is Kevin Constantine. Tons of coaching experience at every level imaginable, including the WJC. He's currently coaching in the Swiss Elite League but the idea of the WJC as a possible audition for getting a high profile job back in the NHL/AHL/CHL could be an enticing offer. He'd be my top non-traditional pick.

I'd be tickled to see Eaves or Blais return but I think it's highly unlikely right now. It won't happen but I'd LOVE to see USA Hockey go outside of the College coaching ranks for a change. Todd Watson, head coach/GM of the Saginaw Spirit, would be a likely target. Hell, just go outside the norm even for an assistant coach to bring some more insight to the Canadian players and a different approach to the tournament/games. Other CHL candidates include Robbie Ftorek from Erie and Mike Vellucci from Plymouth.

USA Hockey choosing Ron Rolston to coach the Ottawa tournament team 2 years ago when John Totorella and Peter Laviolette were available still infuriates. I'll never forget the contrast between his deer-in-the-headlights demeanor and the experience and composure Pat Quinn provided in that roller-coaster game against Canada.

Constantine would be a great choice. Dream on.

I think the most we can hope for is the return of Blais, which would be great.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
I don't get it...Why is Having Chl players the end all be all for us? yet Canada can do just fine with out the college guys.

You miss the point. It's about selecting the best players, regardless of where they currently play.

There is, understandably, some hindsight-fueled criticism of player selection in this thread. But USA Hockey's tendency to snub the CHL, and Americans who have committed the sin of choosing to play there, is evident to anyone paying attention.

rangersfan212

Jun 18, 2010
The Island
Zero chance Hayes will be 4th line. Is on BC's pp and will be on PP for US as well. Will be a top 3 line guy at worst. When they had him come skate with US team last winter, he was top 2 F's for them both games. Nothing has changed but he has gotten bigger and better. Hard to find to many players over 6'4" with great skill and smarts.

Happy to see Clendenning starting to have to earn his keep for once. Very over rated and will probably make etam but if not on straight merit.

Look for him to leave BU since I am sure he is panicking with his huge mid year central scouting drop. 61 for N America and trending down could mean falling off all together.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
The biggest farce is who picks the teams. To have these fools, and I repeat, FOOLS from US hockey do the selection is a joke

To bring in 3 BC d and most of the rest from natl team makes me sick. They do it to cover their a ss and validate their existance.

Torey Krug should have been there and should have been the captain. Ramage is all political and it was laughable to watch him knuckle puck up the middle 50 times a game. WHEN YOU HAVE POSSESION, KEEP IT AND MAKE A PLAY

Torey Krug has a better resume than anyone from their D corps. How many times did we have to watch Samuelson at a camp look like a cone to decide he couldnt be on the team.

Michigan State beat Michigan last night 4-3, Torey Krug had a hat trick, more goals than Samuelson and Dumoulin combined this year in 1 game. Both suck compared to him but he couldnt even get a chance to skate at one of the camps?

Why? Because usa hockey and the natl program is corrupt and run by scared people, scared to lose their jobs so they drive the Ramages etc down our throats.

Let the same guys who pick olympic team pick the kids, put Blais, Eaves, Jackson etc types on the bench and stay out of the way.

Surprised Clendenning didnt make it? He has sucked beyond belief theis year and looked like a cone at the camps. He should never have been part of the discussion. The olympic team has no problem leaving the right kids home and taking the best guys to round out the team. USA's D was scared of Canada and played like a flock of deer in the headlights. Krug was better than all of them, including Faulk, who does look good overhandling the puck and pretending he is quick but how many times did you see his number gliding in towards the goalie after another goal by the opposing team?

Torey Krug
2 time national champion with 90 Detroit Honeybake while playing up a year
won Silversticks
Won the Quebec tournament
Won national championship while playing at own age with Belle Tire
Won six Michigan state championships

Went to Indiana Ice/USHL as a 17 year old. Played there 1 year and did as follows
Team won the league championship. he had 47 points, next closest D was 2 + years older with 28 points. This put him 2nd in league for all dman as a 17 year old and broke Indiana's all time dman scoring record. In playoffs had 7 points and led team with a plus 11. Member of the USHL All-Rookie Team
Moved on to Michigan State as an 18 year old freshmen
As a freshmen, led all D in scoring with 21 points as well as 80 blocked shots. and named to all CCHA rookie team.
Was named the CCM CCHA Rookie of the Month for December, and earned the HCA National Rookie of the Month honors for December as well
Named the CCM CCHA Rookie of the Month for January, the second straight month he earned the honor .
Blocked a season-high nine shots in the CCHA quarterfinals against Michigan (3/12-13), with an assist in each game ... Finished the season on a four-game point-scoring streak, the longest active streak on the team.
Graduated with a 4.02 grade-point average from Cathedral High School in Indianapolis

East Lansing, Mich. - Michigan State sophomore captain Torey Krug has been named to the CCHA Preseason All-Conference Team, as announced today by the CCHA office.

Krug received the third-most votes of any blueliner in the conference, garnering three first-place votes and 30 points. An All-Rookie team selection a season ago, Krug had a 3-18-21 scoring line while playing approximately 24 minutes per game as a freshman. Krug was voted the captain of the Spartans by his teammates during summer workouts.

Aug. 31, 2010

East Lansing, Mich. - -- Michigan State hockey coach Rick Comley has announced that sophomore Torey Krug (Livonia, Mich.) will captain the Spartans in the upcoming season, with seniors Dustin Gazley (Novi, Mich.) and junior Trevor Nill (Novi, Mich.) serving as alternate captains.

Krug is only the second player in Michigan State history to wear a captain's "C" on his sweater as a sophomore. Detroit native Don McSween was a captain in the 1984-85 season, sharing the captaincy with Kelly Miller and Dan McFall. Krug becomes the only solo sophomore captain in program history.

"Torey has established himself as a leader in our locker room, and it's a testament to him that his teammates voted him to be their captain," said head coach Rick Comley, who is embarking on his ninth season behind the bench at Michigan State. "We saw those leadership qualities in him as we recruited him, and we knew that he would bring that to our program. Dustin Gazley and Trevor Nill are two hard-working players who expect the best of themselves and the others around them, and they are great leaders by example. It's their conduct, effort and initiative that has established them as leaders among their teammates, and the vote was very indicative of their stature in our locker room."

This year with Michigan State, he is second on the team in scoring with 18 points in 17 games, 3 times more than the next dman on the team.

Samuelson is 3rd on his team for d scoring and 4th in plus minus on D. Has been very sloppy, been to the WJC camp 3 times now, with the first 2 being the first rd cut group. has done zero this year on the ice to be there again.

I know there are many great canidates but none more so deserving, if so please provide info. USA hockey on purpose makes sure they only have Natl kids and other chosen ones there.

He at least deserved the chance to skate with the group and if got cut, so be it. Cant do that though, we need to see samuelson for the 5th or 6th time to realize that if his name was smith, he would still be playing 5th D for PC Changs team. Canada laughed when they saw our D corp and political picks

College Hockey:
Krug’s hat trick lifts Spartans past Wolverines in OT

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/recaps/2011/01...spartans-past-wolverines-in-ot/#ixzz1ASIg46Qv

So you must be Krug's "adviser"??? Listen I'm not passing judgement on Krug, certainly sounds like he should have at least been in the camp and probably on the team. However you don't have to rip apart anyone else to make your point. IMO Faulk and Dumulion were good enough to be there, Ramage I could take or leave, but your posting and desrcription of other players makes you appear classless.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
Selections

People can say all they want about player selection but the reality is that this group of players failed to come together as a team. Blame the coaching staff or the individuals or both but don't try and argue that bringing this guy or that guy would have made the difference. The Canadians were on a mission in that semi game and they exploited a group that was poorly led and clearly overrated by the majority of us. That said, they were still the best we had to put out there. The only redeeming thing in all of this is that they showed up in the bronze medal game against a Swedish team that seemed even more upset about missing out on the gold medal game than they were themselves.

I don't expect that the very best teams we'll have going forward will be able to beat similar Canadian teams in similar situations every time but I hope that they'll at least put up a better fight more often than not. I also hope that we can create a gap between ourselves and the European countries, earning at least a medal in more tournaments than not going forward. I think that's all that any of us can realistically hope for in the foreseeable future.

Next year's team should be good. They should be good. It's anybody's guess if they actually will be though.

Hey this is the USA version of Canada's excuse when they lose (Best Jr in NHL). Well
I guess saying that no Krug, Watson, Hayes, & Bennett means we should have beaten Canada right?

There are always Jr. and Olympic teams that leave out players that s/b selected.
Want to make an argument for Ryan Callahan over Dustin Byfuglein last year. Not a knock on Callahan, good energy guy, but not the impact player Byfuglein had already proven himself t/b in the 2009 PO. How about Ryan Whitney over Keith Yandle or Ballard? Or in 2004 US juniors, you had guys like Moore and Werner make the team over Brian Boyle ( Was David Backes on that team?). It happens all the time.

rangersfan212

Jun 18, 2010
The Island
So you must be Krug's "adviser"??? Listen I'm not passing judgement on Krug, certainly sounds like he should have at least been in the camp and probably on the team. However you don't have to rip apart anyone else to make your point. IMO Faulk and Dumulion were good enough to be there, Ramage I could take or leave, but your posting and desrcription of other players makes you appear classless.

LOL, wish I was an advisor but, NOT

Faulk and Dumoulin were fine and deserved to be there but you will never win a WJC with those 2 as your go to guys.

Maybe a little to blunt but these are national teams and all nhl draft pick types. Samuelson was a scam being there and did nothing to deserve it. In fairness, he is what he is as a player and shame on US hockey for manipulating the system and bringing in the players they did.

US National team and its hacks need to go

sb24

Jan 8, 2010
Navajo country
You miss the point. It's about selecting the best players, regardless of where they currently play.

There is, understandably, some hindsight-fueled criticism of player selection in this thread. But USA Hockey's tendency to snub the CHL, and Americans who have committed the sin of choosing to play there, is evident to anyone paying attention.

No I think its you who has failed to read this thread. Many ppl have said we Need the chl players simply because they understand how to play the Canadians.

sb24

Jan 8, 2010
Navajo country
Zero chance Hayes will be 4th line. Is on BC's pp and will be on PP for US as well. Will be a top 3 line guy at worst. When they had him come skate with US team last winter, he was top 2 F's for them both games. Nothing has changed but he has gotten bigger and better. Hard to find to many players over 6'4" with great skill and smarts.

Thats all well and good. But you are ignoring the fact that he went to camp will all the same kids a that will be there this summer the year before and got sent home. Is he better then Coyle, Bjugstad, Rocco? USA Hockey must not think so. I think your right he has to be on this team. But to talk the way you are is just dumb.

brtriad

Jan 18, 2009
The Loop
Hayes was drafted as a wing. He was only switched to center once he got to BC so he could get on a line with his brother Jimmy and Kreider. He'll be on the team next year and probably would've been this year if it weren't for his injury.

rangersfan212

Jun 18, 2010
The Island
Thats all well and good. But you are ignoring the fact that he went to camp will all the same kids a that will be there this summer the year before and got sent home. Is he better then Coyle, Bjugstad, Rocco? USA Hockey must not think so. I think your right he has to be on this team. But to talk the way you are is just dumb.

And he was supposed to and was going to be invited to the second camp but had a knee injury...

Is he better then Coyle? He was drafted ahead of him, is about 3"+ bigger and still growing. Admit that Coyle is an elite player and a great addition. Keep in mind though that Hayes and Coyle played together for many years in Boston and Hayes was always the better player. When all is said and done, I would bet he will be again. He will be better then Rocco and Bjugstad by next December. He was a late puberty kid where the other 3 were not. USA hockey also picked the D this year and is always political.

Hayes will be a top 3 line at worst and will be on the PP. As will Coyle. I have a gut feeling that the Chicago Blackhawks and their absurdly talented scouting staff have a better clue then the literal hacks from natl dev program and USA hockey./ They had watched both Coyle and hayes many times and had the chance to take Coyle but instead took hayes. I will go with their assesment any day. If we based our valuations on what those fools thought, we would all be heading to the next Jim Jones convention.

Not a slight on Coyle as he is a world class player and top line/PP guy. It is not Hayes vs him. But Hayes will be there with him, as might Billy Arnold who is coming along very well at BC and fits a role the dearly need.

rangersfan212

Jun 18, 2010
The Island
Hayes was drafted as a wing. He was only switched to center once he got to BC so he could get on a line with his brother Jimmy and Kreider. He'll be on the team next year and probably would've been this year if it weren't for his injury.

Agree with you 100% but in fairness, for every shift he might have played at wing, he has played 100 at center.

sb24

Jan 8, 2010
Navajo country
And he was supposed to and was going to be invited to the second camp but had a knee injury...

Is he better then Coyle? He was drafted ahead of him, is about 3"+ bigger and still growing. Admit that Coyle is an elite player and a great addition. Keep in mind though that Hayes and Coyle played together for many years in Boston and Hayes was always the better player. When all is said and done, I would bet he will be again. He will be better then Rocco and Bjugstad by next December. He was a late puberty kid where the other 3 were not. USA hockey also picked the D this year and is always political.

Hayes will be a top 3 line at worst and will be on the PP. As will Coyle. I have a gut feeling that the Chicago Blackhawks and their absurdly talented scouting staff have a better clue then the literal hacks from natl dev program and USA hockey./ They had watched both Coyle and hayes many times and had the chance to take Coyle but instead took hayes. I will go with their assesment any day. If we based our valuations on what those fools thought, we would all be heading to the next Jim Jones convention.

Not a slight on Coyle as he is a world class player and top line/PP guy. It is not Hayes vs him. But Hayes will be there with him, as might Billy Arnold who is coming along very well at BC and fits a role the dearly need.

Oh he was Supposed to? There is no way for you to know such a thing. I don't care about the draft order. Marek Zagrapan was drafted 13th TJ Oshie was 24th who's the better player? Bjugstad was taken before Coyle yet coyle was the better player! How can that be!?

Nov 26, 2010
NJ
Oh he was Supposed to? There is no way for you to know such a thing. I don't care about the draft order. Marek Zagrapan was drafted 13th TJ Oshie was 24th who's the better player? Bjugstad was taken before Coyle yet coyle was the better player! How can that be!?

I wouldn't jump to conclusions saying Coyle will be a better player. neither of them have played a single pro game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad