WJC: U.S. WJC Team (Roster Post #486)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
It won't be long and the final U.S. WJC evaluation camp leading up to this year's event will be held. Thoughts on how things are shaping up so far and what the make-up of the team will be?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'm hearing Jon Merrill is looking good for Michigan. Do you think he has a chance of making the team?

Merrill's a definate contender. Great start to the year, good overall skillset, and has competed well internationally in the past. Defense is going to be interesting since two guys who would clearly be on the team (Fowler and Leddy) are currently playing in the NHL and doing fairly well. Fowler in particular might not be released.

Force951

Jul 17, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Merrill's a definate contender. Great start to the year, good overall skillset, and has competed well internationally in the past. Defense is going to be interesting since two guys who would clearly be on the team (Fowler and Leddy) are currently playing in the NHL and doing fairly well. Fowler in particular might not be released.

Fowler has been the ducks best dman so far this year. So unless he falls off big time he will stay with the ducks all year.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I am curious about the Carolina trio of defenders in Dumoulin, Faulk, and Alt. I would consider Alt to be almost a non-issue at this point but with the departure of Fowler there may be an opening back there.

I think Dumoulin and Faulk are pretty solid bets, but nowhere near locks. It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out if Fowler sticks and a few other guys disappoint.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Kreider-Bjugstad-Morin
Etem-Saad-Ambroz
Zucker-Budish-Bourque
Brickley-Watson-Bennett
Brown-Coyle-Hayes

Forbort - Faulk
Merill - Ramage
Dumoulin - Clendening
Johns ( I wish Mayfield)

Campbell

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Anyone think Wey makes the cut if Leddy and Fowler stay with their teams? Just curious how far down the depth chart people see him right now.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Probably still a few weeks too early to really get an accurate picture but here's my list of risers and fallers:

Rising:

1. Drew Shore - Was cut early at the Summer Camp because he was injured but he's off to a strong start at Denver and should be relied on heavily there due to Denver losing 3 of their top goal scorers from last year. I think he's put himself right in line with Nelson and Watson battling for the final 2 center roles, although the runner up could be a candidate for a wing position.

2. Rocco Grimaldi - I don't know if the USA brass can ignore his start to the season and being a non-invite to the summer camp as a '93 won't be a huge issue. Rocco has 3 goals and 4 assists in his first 2 USHL games (to go along with 6 goals in 4 games in the preseason) on a team where he's the primary focus of the opposition. He's small but you wouldn't know it by the way he plays and it wouldn't be an issue at the U-20 level.

3. Defensemen - Even though I think all of these guys (Clendening, Faulk, Merrill, Forbort) were going to be on the team, their odds are looking a lot better with Fowler most likely sticking with Anaheim and Leddy currently with Chicago as well. I can see Leddy eventually going to the AHL but even then he'd probably be the first call up option so I'm not sure they'd even release him for the tournament.

4. Charlie Coyle - He's built on his impressive summer camp with a strong start at BU so unless he crashes and burns here soon, I think he has either the #2 or #3 center role locked down right now.

Falling:

1. Emerson Etem - Hasn't gotten off to a strong statistical start with Medicine Hat and while his speed would be an asset, it's not like this team is desperate for speed anyway.

2. Tyler Pitlick - An early cut at summer camp, some say to injury (only found that on one Edmonton blog), so who knows, but his start with M.H. isn't going to get him back in the running unless he really goes on a tear here soon.

3. Matt Nieto - Another early cut at summer camp, Nieto has all the skill but will probably miss out this year. This is a deep class to choose from and he's going to have to light it up to start and that's not likely.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Anyone think Wey makes the cut if Leddy and Fowler stay with their teams? Just curious how far down the depth chart people see him right now.

No but his odds will obviously be better. From what I read of the camp though, Wey was the least impressive of the last 9 d-men there (which didn't include Fowler or Leddy) but then again, he was still there and survived the cuts so obviously the coaching staff originally saw something.

I see Wey definitely behind these guys:

Jon Merrill
Derek Forbort
Justin Faulk
Adam Clendening
John Ramage
Brian Dumoulin

Then you have guys like Stephen Johns, Phil Samuelsson, Jarred Tinordi, and a surprise or two still in the running as well, not to mention if Fowler or Leddy become available.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA

Thanks.

jablueblue

Jul 22, 2009
Kreider-Bjugstad-Morin
Etem-Saad-Ambroz
Zucker-Budish-Bourque
Brickley-Watson-Bennett
Brown-Coyle-Hayes

Forbort - Faulk
Merill - Ramage
Dumoulin - Clendening
Johns ( I wish Mayfield)

Campbell

I'd imaginethat D'Amigo would be there somewhere, not to be a homer but he was pretty damn good last year

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Falling:

1. Emerson Etem - Hasn't gotten off to a strong statistical start with Medicine Hat and while his speed would be an asset, it's not like this team is desperate for speed anyway.

2. Tyler Pitlick - An early cut at summer camp, some say to injury (only found that on one Edmonton blog), so who knows, but his start with M.H. isn't going to get him back in the running unless he really goes on a tear here soon.

3. Matt Nieto - Another early cut at summer camp, Nieto has all the skill but will probably miss out this year. This is a deep class to choose from and he's going to have to light it up to start and that's not likely.

Yeah Pitlick himself denied any injury (link). But I still have high hope for him and Etem, things in MH just need to click and they'll start to produce. Sounds like Pitlicks biggest problem so far has been consistency, dominant one game and invisble the next.

NinthSpoke06

Nov 30, 2009
Watertown, MA
There's more to that story than your simplistic post lets on.

Not really. He was going to go to the US U-18 Development team, but the Hunter's offered to pay the "buyout" fee to get him to go play for the London Knights in the OHL. Since he ditched on the US, the US didn't invite him to their WJC camp.

That is pretty much it.

KingJet*

Campbell, right now he looks like ****, but I think he'll either be third string or back up

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Campbell, right now he looks like ****, but I think he'll either be third string or back up

Campbell will be the starter going in regardless of what his numbers look like in Windsor. Most Windsor fans don't seem to be holding the bad stats against him so I don't see why people who aren't watching the games should.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Pitlick so far has not even been playing with Etem....he started off quite slow and just needed to get adjusted to the WHL game and get use to his linemates...he had a 3 point game last game and has another 3 points tonight, giving him 1-5-6 +4 in about his last 5 periods or so...that also puts him over a ppg with 8pts in 7gp...as an Oiler fan and big WJC fan, I am hoping he can put together a big streak and keep his momentum going b/c I would love to see him in a US uniform this December

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Campbell will be the starter going in regardless of what his numbers look like in Windsor. Most Windsor fans don't seem to be holding the bad stats against him so I don't see why people who aren't watching the games should.

I haven't seen any Windsor games this year, but at a glance, their team defense seems spotty so far. Any OHL fans' insights would be welcome. As you said though, Campbell will be the guy. I just hope it's not like the last time the U.S. won gold and the hero (Montoya) was drafted high (6th overall) and then crappd his pants in the following tournament. Back-up should be an interesting battle. I know Houser had a rough camp, but he's had a very good start to the year with London.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
Saw Grimaldi play last night and that kid is a special talent. His burst is incredible and he scored another last night. He also does all the little things properly. I don't think he lost once faceoff last night. Really good player and fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad