WJC: U.S. WJC Team (Roster Post #486)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

History says so. I guess USA Hockey could change things up and go outside the NCAA/USNTDP fraternity for a coach next year, but it's doubtful. That part of the process is very political.

In the next week, as this tournament ends and I disappear from this forum, I will miss you most of all Rabid Ranger. :)

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
This year's team looked like a bunch of individuals trying to win the games by themselves. Last year's team was just that a team. I would say the blame lies with the coaching staff not giving this team an identity to work around.

I think things would be different if the game was closer. If it was a 3-2 OT win for Canada then you can chalk it up to 2 great teams playing and one team has to lose.

I remember the Fin/US game and thought man the US better get it together they look out of sync with each other. Even after the games they never talked about what they needed to do as a team to play better. Canada after the loss to Sweden just kept ramming it down everyone's throat they need to play the system that the Coach had set for them.

I don't think its a question of where the players came from. Would Levi,Archibald,Maxwell,Pitlick and Saad helped the US beat Canada? Not with the coaching they were getting.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
This year's team looked like a bunch of individuals trying to win the games by themselves. Last year's team was just that a team. I would say the blame lies with the coaching staff not giving this team an identity to work around.

I think things would be different if the game was closer. If it was a 3-2 OT win for Canada then you can chalk it up to 2 great teams playing and one team has to lose.

I remember the Fin/US game and thought man the US better get it together they look out of sync with each other. Even after the games they never talked about what they needed to do as a team to play better. Canada after the loss to Sweden just kept ramming it down everyone's throat they need to play the system that the Coach had set for them.

I don't think its a question of where the players came from. Would Levi,Archibald,Maxwell,Pitlick and Saad helped the US beat Canada? Not with the coaching they were getting.

Very true. The coaching once again fell short for the U.S.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Why wouldnt they really like him?

In the sense that they'd have to like him even more than their other potential options, a lot of which are '93s and not '94s like Galchenyuk, to add for the tournament such as Shane McColgan, Colin Jacobs, Seth Ambroz, Vince Trocheck, Stefan Noesen, Mario Lucia, Cason Hohmann, or any number of guys from the U-17 team.

The U-18 team is probably the most in need of elite offensive talent for this tournament as I can remember in recent times unless they really plan of Grimaldi, Biggs, Miller, and Boucher doing ALL of the heavy lifting. The nice thing about siding with Galchenyuk would be locking him up to the USA obviously but he's also an elite talent as well.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Way too early for this but I'm bored and it's always fun to look back on these and see how my opinions have changed on the lineup and with certain players. With that, here's an early prediction for the 2012 USA WJC Team.

Forwards (x13):

Matt Nieto - Charlie Coyle* - Brandon Saad
Jason Zucker* - Rocco Grimaldi - Emerson Etem*
Shane Prince - Nick Bjugstad* - Stefan Noesen
J.T. Miller - Austin Watson - Tyler Biggs
Michael Mersch

Defense (x7):

Jon Merrill* - Justin Faulk*
Derek Forbort* - Adam Clendening
Jamie Oleksiak - Nick Ebert
Austin Levi

Goalies (x2)

Jack Campbell* (starter)
John Gibson

* denotes returning player.

A few notes....

- A few battles to watch IMO include a group of smaller but dynamic wingers (Nieto, Prince, McColgan) and the group of power forwards (Biggs, Ambroz, Jacobs).

- Right now I have Oleksiak and Levi with the upper hand for the "shutdown" roles but guys like Stephen Johns and Jarred Tinordi will be in competition as well.

- I think Nick Ebert makes this team. The US group of '94 d-men right now looks pretty special and Ebert is the best of that bunch. USA Hockey will be smart to incorporate at least one of them if they're deserving, despite their youth, given the lack of depth in the '93 group. Potentially replacing an entire D core in 2013 wouldn't be ideal otherwise and if Ebert keeps progressing as he has, there's no reason for him not to be here over any '93 we could offer up.

- Andy Iles is the only potential returnee I don't see coming back. With Campbell back next year and the clear #1 again for the entire tournament, I think they'll look to incorporate one of the '93 goalies to help the transition from Campbell in time and right now Gibson is the best of that bunch.

- Here's the list where I speculated on who would receive invites to the Summer Evaluation Camp. It'd be nice to see Jared Knight get an invite because I think he'd fit in nicely where I have Stefan Noesen currently but I won't believe the rift is over until it happens.

Last edited:

rangersfan212

Jun 18, 2010
The Island
Kevin Hayes will 100% be on the team.

After the soft, pathetic effort by US vs Canada, Connor Brickley will also 100% get an invite and probably be on team

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Kevin Hayes will 100% be on the team.

After the soft, pathetic effort by US vs Canada, Connor Brickley will also 100% get an invite and probably be on team

Both guys will be in the mix for sure. I haven't seen any of Hayes to really formulate an opinion on him since he was out during all the BC games I've seen this year. Hopefully I can catch a few more during the year.

I agree that Brickley gets an invite to the camp but I'm not really a fan of his when I've seen him play. I've never seen the bruising player everyone always raves about and frankly he's hard to notice unless you're specifically looking for him as I've been. He'll be in the hunt and he's been a favorite of USA Hockey though.

sb24

Jan 8, 2010
Navajo country
Way too early for this but I'm bored and it's always fun to look back on these and see how my opinions have changed on the lineup and with certain players. With that, here's an early prediction for the 2012 USA WJC Team.

Forwards (x13):

Matt Nieto - Charlie Coyle* - Brandon Saad
Jason Zucker* - Rocco Grimaldi - Emerson Etem*
Shane Prince - Nick Bjugstad* - Stefan Noesen
J.T. Miller - Austin Watson - Tyler Biggs
Michael Mersch

Defense (x7):

Jon Merrill* - Justin Faulk*
Derek Forbort* - Adam Clendening
Jamie Oleksiak - Nick Ebert
Austin Levi

Goalies (x2)

Jack Campbell* (starter)
John Gibson

* denotes returning player.

A few notes....

- A few battles to watch IMO include a group of smaller but dynamic wingers (Nieto, Prince, McColgan) and the group of power forwards (Biggs, Ambroz, Jacobs).

- Right now I have Oleksiak and Levi with the upper hand for the "shutdown" roles but guys like Stephen Johns and Jarred Tinordi will be in competition as well.

- I think Nick Ebert makes this team. The US group of '94 d-men right now looks pretty special and Ebert is the best of that bunch. USA Hockey will be smart to incorporate at least one of them if they're deserving, despite their youth, given the lack of depth in the '93 group. Potentially replacing an entire D core in 2013 wouldn't be ideal otherwise and if Ebert keeps progressing as he has, there's no reason for him not to be here over any '93 we could offer up.

- Andy Iles is the only potential returnee I don't see coming back. With Campbell back next year and the clear #1 again for the entire tournament, I think they'll look to incorporate one of the '93 goalies to help the transition from Campbell in time and right now Gibson is the best of that bunch.

- Here's the list where I speculated on who would receive invites to the Summer Evaluation Camp. It'd be nice to see Jared Knight get an invite because I think he'd fit in nicely where I have Stefan Noesen currently but I won't believe the rift is over until it happens.

J.T Miller is going to be just what the doctor ordered. Great skill and Really likes to mix it up.
i'm still not sold on Watson. I think they will go with Hayes. Also I don't see how Ambroz would be left off this team. He would need to drop a long ways. imo. Should be a fun year. Seems like the talent we get to talk about each year is getting better and better. Makes it fun.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Watson has played much better after the "snub." He'll get invited to camp and hopefully have a good showing there and at the start of the next OHL season. He's be a nice addition to the 3rd line.

sb24

Jan 8, 2010
Navajo country
First what snub? How is he playing better? he got the +/- down to -22? good for him. have to lead the team in something.
Second Who's he going to beat out Coyle? no Bjugstad? no Grimaldi? no Hayes? maybe but I don't see how.

BIG BLUE

Apr 4, 2009
Toronto
Brickley maybe should've went the CHL route instead of NCAA, which might be more conducive to his game.

Vince Trocheck, though not tall, might make a case for next year's team

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
First what snub? How is he playing better? he got the +/- down to -22? good for him. have to lead the team in something.
Second Who's he going to beat out Coyle? no Bjugstad? no Grimaldi? no Hayes? maybe but I don't see how.

You're hilarious.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I really like Seth Jones for the US in a few years, however I believe he will still be too young for next years tournament as a late 94. Most likely the next year in Ufa, Russia

rangersfan212

Jun 18, 2010
The Island
at lst years U-18, Brickley knocked out cold the Russian kid projected first in draft. knocked out cold, stretecher etc

They talked about it over and over again after loss to Canada. They wont make same mistake twice

I almost pis*** my pants when they started saying Palemeri craved the physical stuff

Brickley and Tinordi will be there

sb24

Jan 8, 2010
Navajo country
You're hilarious.

Is that not what you said before the team was released and I was saying he wouldn't be on it? What would he bring that Hayes wouldn't?
I'm sorry but I say anyone with the worst +/- on his respective team, should not be in the running for the shutdown role on a National team.
Maybe he gets it together by then.
Other then saying I am funny(I know, I don't need you to tell me) or that he is playing better now(not true). Can you give a reason why he would make it over the others?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
J.T Miller is going to be just what the doctor ordered. Great skill and Really likes to mix it up.
i'm still not sold on Watson. I think they will go with Hayes. Also I don't see how Ambroz would be left off this team. He would need to drop a long ways. imo. Should be a fun year. Seems like the talent we get to talk about each year is getting better and better. Makes it fun.

Like I said, I've never seen Hayes play (hopefully I can now that's he back in BC's lineup) but I don't think he will beat out Coyle, Grimaldi, or Bjugstad (assuming they all remain centers for next years team). Assuming Hayes is looked at as a center as well, that means he'd most likely have to fit in on the 4th line. Can he do that? It's hard for me to speculate on that as I know Watson can having seen him play multiple times. That's basically my thinking. I hope he's great during the evaluation process though - the more options the better.

I just think Ambroz' skating may hurt him garnering a selection if they continue to put a large emphasis on a quick and fast team. That's not to say Ambroz' size, physical play, and skill wouldn't be an asset but it comes down to how many of the "power forward" types are they going to take? I'd give Tyler Biggs the upper hand right now as he's really improved his skating. You also have a guy like Colin Jacobs there as well. Like I said though, there's still tons of time for these guys to improve and make their cases. You're not bringing up anyone I don't think will be at the Summer Evaluation Camp.

Is that not what you said before the team was released and I was saying he wouldn't be on it? What would he bring that Hayes wouldn't?
I'm sorry but I say anyone with the worst +/- on his respective team, should not be in the running for the shutdown role on a National team.
Maybe he gets it together by then.
Other then saying I am funny(I know, I don't need you to tell me) or that he is playing better now(not true). Can you give a reason why he would make it over the others?

Not to nitpick here as I may very well agree with the Hayes over Watson argument after I get to see Hayes play but that's a weird argument to use against Watson when K. Hayes himself has the second worst +/- on BC (one ahead of Kreider) with a -3.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad