World Cup: U-20 World Cup 2017 Thread

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I mean, relatively, sure, if you're ranking him based on every football playing left back in the world, every football player in the world playing left back regardless of position and every other adult male in the world with fully functioning limbs then year, Danny Rose is one of the best left backs in the world.

In reality though, erm, no.

Top 3.

Goes Marcelo, Alaba, Rose for me.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Poor English kids, life will be ruined by the ridiculous hype they will now receive back home....:D

Theon

No longer Reek
Jan 17, 2008
Stockholm
I've seen many Everton games this season and Calvert Lewin has always been so average. Good on him to step up when it mattered.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
There are some English players who are so underrated purely due to English players almost always being overrated, so the assumption is to rate them lower because of their English nationality.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Perhaps, but that doesn't make Danny Rose a top 3 LB in the world.

So where do you have him?

Transfermarkt, a fairly neutral source, although I'm not saying its great, has him as the 7th most valuable LB.

We aren't talking about like the 20th best LB here. He's somewhere right around that next five range after the top 2. I have him 3rd.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Alaba and Marcelo are clearly better than him.

I would also take Sandro, Alonso, Rodriguez, Kurzawa, Alba, Gaya, Guerreiro, Baines, Luis, and Mendy over him just off the top of my head.
Then you have players like Hector, Bernat, Shaw, Blind, and Ghoulam who are right there with him.

Rose's cracks are just so well covered by that central pairing. If you wanna talk about a Spurs outside back, it's Walker who's world class.

Transfermarkt has him tied for 7th, by the way, and value is something that is also determined by age and contract.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Alaba and Marcelo are clearly better than him.

I would also take Sandro, Alonso, Rodriguez, Kurzawa, Alba, Gaya, Guerreiro, Baines, Luis, and Mendy over him just off the top of my head.
Then you have players like Hector, Bernat, Shaw, Blind, and Ghoulam who are right there with him.

Rose's cracks are just so well covered by that central pairing. If you wanna talk about a Spurs outside back, it's Walker who's world class.

Transfermarkt has him tied for 7th, by the way, and value is something that is also determined by age and contract.

Yeah, I'm just not going to agree with this. Some of those players you named actually really struggled this past season or rarely played. Some aren't even the best LB on their own team. Rose is a higher quality player than Walker. Which of the two is Spurs letting go? Its Walker, not Rose.

How they rank players has nothing to do with contract status. Age matters, but which of those players you named suffers so much due to age? All those players are a few years outside their prime, a few years younger or right in it. You didn't name a 38 year old or 17 year old.

Don't think Rose is even the best LB in London. And never was.

I like most of your opinions, but Arsenal fans talking about Spurs players aren't usually so complimentary. :laugh:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Monreal has fell off this season, but still good enough for Spanish NT call-ups. I do believe he's been the better player every season prior.

Then you had Ivanovic /Cole who were among the best at LBs ever

Alonso I think was the best LB in the league last year.

I'll stick by statement of him never being the best LB for a London club.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Yeah, I'm just not going to agree with this. Some of those players you named actually really struggled this past season or rarely played. Some aren't even the best LB on their own team. Rose is a higher quality player than Walker. Which of the two is Spurs letting go? Its Walker, not Rose.

How they rank players has nothing to do with contract status. Age matters, but which of those players you named suffers so much due to age? All those players are a few years outside their prime, a few years younger or right in it. You didn't name a 38 year old or 17 year old.

I like most of your opinions, but Arsenal fans talking about Spurs players aren't usually so complimentary. :laugh:

You don't have to agree. Sorry, I didn't realize we were basing it only on one year. In that case, how much should I dock Rose for being injured and being replaced by another player with ease? Yes, they're letting Walker go because they have a better replacement in the squad for him compared to Rose (even though Davies replaced Rose like it was nothing, but I digress) and can get more money for him, plus Walker wants to go. Walker is still better than Rose. That's like arguing Aaron Lennon is better than Gareth Bale because Tottenham kept Lennon and not Bale.

Luis and Baines suffer because of age. Shaw/Gaya/Guerriero figure to develop even more.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Glad someone gets it.

They're letting Walker go because he has suitors who would pay a lot of money for him, because he is a top player. They will also raise his wage to more than he could make at Tottenham, because he is that good.

If Rose was a top player he would have those suitors too, and because Tottenham don't pay massive wages, if he was that good he would leave too. Very very simple to figure out.

Once Tottenham pays top wages the situation will change, but for now? We can tell who a top player is if they leave Tottenham, Kane being the only exception.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad