World Cup: U-20 World Cup 2017 Thread

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
He's not. He's quite obviously weaker than the top academy players but he'll benefit a lot from being there.

Oh, I don't think he'll be at that level. But he will be on the men's national team. May be a player that could play in the lower 1/3 of the Premier League, or at least Championship.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Oh, I don't think he'll be at that level. But he will be on the men's national team. May be a player that could play in the lower 1/3 of the Premier League, or at least Championship.

Yeah I could see either of those. Wouldn't even rule out a mid table team depending on the team. Though again he's still quite young so he could fall off, too. It wouldn't be the most horrible thing for some of these guys who can't cut it at the top teams to start going back to North America to represent the MLS.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Venezuela was clearly the better squad, but a decent showing by the US.

The shootout between Uruguay and Portugal was crazy. 9 straight goals, then 5 straight misses before the game winner.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Considering the squad they sent, ( saving a lot of players for the u19 and u21 euros), it was a decent tournament for portugal.

The game vs Uruguay could have gone either way, but playing 17 year old GK showed during the first goal suffered and in the pk shootout.

Ruben Dias, Rodrigues, and Dalot look like great future players.

Interesting to see who will win now, it's so tight between the remaining teams.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
"Golden Generation" 2.0? :laugh:

Only these guys actually might win something

Curiously I looked at their 2009 U21 finals team and outside of Joe Hart, James Milner and Theo Walcott nobody else really stepped up to a consistent international career (I guess you can include Danny Rose as well who is just breaking into the NT picture)

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
success at the u20 world cup doesnt mean a team will become sensational.

Go and look at the past winners/finalists and see how many players turned out to be great.

Saying golden generation 2.0 is putting unnecessary pressure on them

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The later the age group, the less likely the champs are there.
It might sound contradictory, but quite often when players are good enough, they already play for upper levels.
Mbappé, Démbélé, Ali, etc...

If you want to take a look at future champs, U17 to U19 is usually more interesting.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
It's not really. The best 19 and 20 year olds are likely already playing at a higher level for better clubs. I'll use Portugal as an example, their squad for this tournament consists entirely of players playing for their club's academies and B teams. Contrast to the squad they're sending to the u21 Euros which has players who have already been capped by the national team.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
This England team doesn't really have stars, they just play good team ball. I think some of these players will make it at the top level. Ojo, Lookman, and Onomah should. Stars though? Other than Lookman, I don't think so. Other than South American teams, these teams rarely take their best players to U-20. England's best player that age (Rashford) isn't even there, but you could say that about many countries. People really shouldn't be judging by this tournament.

Now England's U-17 team on the other hand. Watch out for that one. Sancho is a certain thing to be top class and Brewster has potential to be on the tier below. Plus with other players who will play with them at senior level like Rashford, Sessegnon, and Lookman to choose from then they finally have something.

Still, as always, they lack top midfield prospects. Ejaria isn't going to be good enough to play for England regularly even though I like him. Then a level above, I don't think Grealish or Hughes are that great either. Ward-Prowse is just a solid player and I don't know what Barkley even is.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
It's interesting that European teams seem to take the UEFA youth tournaments more seriously than the World Cups based on the squads they send. I guess the competition is far better.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
"Golden Generation" 2.0? :laugh:

Only these guys actually might win something

Curiously I looked at their 2009 U21 finals team and outside of Joe Hart, James Milner and Theo Walcott nobody else really stepped up to a consistent international career (I guess you can include Danny Rose as well who is just breaking into the NT picture)

That guy in parentheses is one of the best left-backs in the world.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
England 1-0 up at ht. Calvert-Lewin finishing his own rebound. Solanke and C-L had other good chances.

Venezuela hit the post on a 40 yard fk. Also came close with another fk.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
success at the u20 world cup doesnt mean a team will become sensational.

Go and look at the past winners/finalists and see how many players turned out to be great.

Saying golden generation 2.0 is putting unnecessary pressure on them

Yeah this tournament is kind of "why settle for the best when you can settle for the rest?".

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
That guy in parentheses is one of the best left-backs in the world.

I mean, relatively, sure, if you're ranking him based on every football playing left back in the world, every football player in the world playing left back regardless of position and every other adult male in the world with fully functioning limbs then year, Danny Rose is one of the best left backs in the world.

In reality though, erm, no.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Good match, England keeper with a great save and then Onomah rips one from 40 yards out off the crossbar straight down off the line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad